LOSI XX4 - potential purchase - REQUESTING OPINIONS

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

R/Cat
Approved Member

LOSI XX4 - potential purchase - REQUESTING OPINIONS

Post by R/Cat »

Hey guys, I'm considering purchasing this Losi XX4 for vintage racing and wanted your opinion. According to the owner, it's an original edition runner with a graphite/WE chassis (cracked and repaired near the L front battery slot - see pic) and he's not the original owner. I'm told there are no other broken/damaged/missing parts. The owner claims he had plans to restore this when he purchased it 2 years ago but never got around to it, never ran it and has never taken it apart (so unaware of internal condition) but states the gearboxes spin freely. He said there is some typical belt rot of the middle belt but he's including an aftermarket replacement. At the very least, to get this race-ready I could need a chassis and will definitely need wheels/tires, Lipo saddle pack and a brushless motor/ESC (plus anything that may surprise me when I tear it down) but I have a radio. It seems like a very good platform to build up a racer but what do you guys think and what should I pay for something like this (4 pics below)? Thanks. Mike
Attachments
Losi 6.JPG
Losi 6.JPG (95.94 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
Losi 6.JPG
Losi 6.JPG (95.94 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
Losi 5.JPG
Losi 5.JPG (41.75 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
Losi 5.JPG
Losi 5.JPG (41.75 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
Losi 4.JPG
Losi 4.JPG (104.65 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
Losi 4.JPG
Losi 4.JPG (104.65 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
Losi 1.JPG
Losi 1.JPG (91.27 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
Losi 1.JPG
Losi 1.JPG (91.27 KiB) Viewed 1757 times

Mark Westerfield
Approved Member

Re: LOSI XX4 - potential purchase - REQUESTING OPINIONS

Post by Mark Westerfield »

Pictures are not working for me.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

Mark Westerfield wrote:Pictures are not working for me.
Oh, ok. I resized them and added as an attachment so let me know if you can see them.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

The car is supposed to be one of the best balanced cars out there, especially with brush less power to overcome a bit of drag in the drive line. Its always recommended to replace the pulleys and belts. The originals broke down very quickly just from sitting. Otherwise people seem to love them.

Mark Westerfield
Approved Member

Post by Mark Westerfield »

How are the outdrives and universals? Otherwise it looks like a great start for a runner.

alien3t
Approved Member

Post by alien3t »

I remember a lot fo guys went with the non slotted chassis for lipo. (one of my semi local shops has both chassis about 2 and other parts still on the wall) There is a member here that makes cf batter straps. some guys like running the shorty lipo on the left. and electronics on right. There is a overseas person selling a lipo conversion kit. or a center belt pulley upgrade for brushless. if planning to keep stock, or beef up for racing, Shumacher front arms, and a b2 b3 front brace was common. penguin rc and another brand make cf doublers for the shock towers since kinda week. but this was and still is a fun great car.

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

I would suggest new belts, gears, bearings (on driveline minimum) They are a bit of a bear to work on trackside so its cheap insurance. The AE B 2-3? front brace tie-in is a nice upgrade. I have a shelfer and a runner and the runner is a blast to drive handles so smooth. Price is hard to say depends on how bad you want it. Ebay search of past ended sales will give you a ballpark indication. Keep us posted.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

Thanks for the info guys. Great stuff. I'll keep it mind. So, after considering everything I needed to get this car race-ready not to mention replacing the damaged chassis and potentially some of the internal parts, I countered the seller's inital offer of $137.00 with an offer of $76 as a starting point which he didn't accept stating that the car was worth more to him in parts. $137.00 is in the ball park of what a few of them went for on Ebay the last couple of months but they were in better condition. More interestingly, he said he took a closer look at the car and thinks the chassis is in worse shape than initially described. Specifically, he said the screw holes were threaded from being overtightened - not sure what that means but he said I'd probably end up being disappointed with the car and didn't make a counter offer so I appreciated his honesty but my search continues. If you know of an XX4 for sale please let me know. Thank again.

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Sometimes its just not worth bringing them back to life. spend more in the long run. if the screws are funky then they have been stripped out of the parts that attach to chassis not the chassis itself Id bet. I waited for years somewhat looking then a deal of 2 from a local losi team driver showed up. Be patient and picky they are around.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Yeah, I've been looking for one for a while. Got one for a good price and I'm now restoring it. If the chassis is cracked, I'd say forget it unless you can get it for a song. The one I got had little wear but looks looked like it was run then put away wet.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

slapshot1979 wrote:Sometimes its just not worth bringing them back to life. spend more in the long run. if the screws are funky then they have been stripped out of the parts that attach to chassis not the chassis itself Id bet. I waited for years somewhat looking then a deal of 2 from a local losi team driver showed up. Be patient and picky they are around.
Yep, totally agree. With a 10.5 brushless motor/ESC, battery pack, wheels/tires, probably a new chassis, belts/pulleys, replacing potentially stripped out and/or internal parts and s/h charges from Europe it was easily going to cost me $275-$350+ to get this car in my hands and road/race ready and I simply can't justify that for an occasional vintage racer when I have more pressing needs for other projects. I have no problem being patient and will wait for something that's in better shape from a US seller.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

RichieRich wrote:Yeah, I've been looking for one for a while. Got one for a good price and I'm now restoring it. If the chassis is cracked, I'd say forget it unless you can get it for a song. The one I got had little wear but looks looked like it was run then put away wet.
Agreed, that's partially why I low-balled the seller. I would've been willing to epoxy the chassis crack (at least temporarily until I found a replacement) since it didn't look that bad, was already repaired and was in a less critical location but the fact is I've seen undamaged XX4's in better shape for the similar money on Ebay and the seller didn't even counter so he probably thought his "garbage" was gold. I'm going to hold off on the purchase for now and keep looking.