6 gear tranny...good ....bad....or ugly

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

tbfoto
Approved Member

6 gear tranny...good ....bad....or ugly

Post by tbfoto »

I have three RC10 buggy's now, two of them have the stealth transmission but this latest one has the 6 gear tranny. How do the two compare? I figure the stealth to be the better of the two but how so? I've ordered bearings and new idlers for this one. Will it be a solid transmission when rebuilt with bearings or were they always inferior?

Thanks,
thfoto

MOmo
Approved Member

Re: 6 gear tranny...good ....bad....or ugly

Post by MOmo »

Truly it depends on what you are going to do IMO.

For racing, hands down, stealth will give you better tuning and better effeciency. The 6 gear is a solid transmission, but I think its better served as a shelf queen. If nohing else, finding possible replacements could be a problem. Also, most gearing is meant for the Stealth and 64t gearing, not 32.

I tried to race my 6 gear in a vintage race at my local track, and it did ok, but I noticed it lacked a LOT of power. The Stealth or 3 gear trans. was much better for the type of abuse I was subjecting my car too.

Id use one of the other cars rather than the 6 gear.

MOmo

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

I like running my original when letting a friend run a stealth. I've got the six geared short and the stealth geared tall so friends can hear the lawnmower as she runs em down (on the street).

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

the ratio itself is low too, 1.96 if im correct? you lose alot of power right there with battery life and motor run time etc.

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

mikedealer wrote:the ratio itself is low too, 1.96 if im correct? you lose alot of power right there with battery life and motor run time etc.
1.87ish... also helps that the friends who run my loaners aren't the best drivers ;)

SUPERDAD
Approved Member

Post by SUPERDAD »

The six gear is a dinosaur (overly complicated, a lot of parts that need to be assembled correctly). The stealth is simpler,more efficient,easier to build,rebuild,repair,and find parts for. It has a more sleek,attractive appearence in the chassis. But the sound of six straight cut gears under a load is a mechanical symphony that is addicting.Thats why I still keep one in a runner,just to listen to it! :lol:
"Sometimes in life, you ain't gotta like it. You just gotta do it." Quote from my own SUPERDAD. RIP 5/10/14

toybaron
Approved Member

Post by toybaron »

I spent some time today dis-assembling, cleaning and then re-assembling a 6 gear--loved it. It may be "too complicated" for some but it is a very nice piece of engineering...kind of like seeing the insides of a clock. And when the mesh is nice, there's a sense of satisfaction using it. What were the period competitors?

Mechanical/Restoration Questions for the experts:
--Whats the best way to remove the felt retainer caps without breaking them or scratching the case? Anyone have replacement felt?
--Removing the pressed on gears from the diff tube and the top shaft--is that a one shot deal or can they be removed without messing up the alignments or marring the surfaces?
--Whats the way to diagnose the problem of one side running much more smoothly than the other?

Oh yeah...the case I was working on is horribly dyed a blotchy red...whats the latest on properly dying --really re-dying plastic parts?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Ron

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

Ron,
almost evrything you need to know right here:
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3748

I keep meaning to read the whole thing myself, lots of good info there.
-Anthony

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

toybaron wrote:I spent some time today dis-assembling, cleaning and then re-assembling a 6 gear--loved it. It may be "too complicated" for some but it is a very nice piece of engineering...kind of like seeing the insides of a clock. And when the mesh is nice, there's a sense of satisfaction using it. What were the period competitors?

--Whats the best way to remove the felt retainer caps without breaking them or scratching the case? Anyone have replacement felt?
i've only ever run into one trans that they were glued to the case. i just slid a razor blade under the ears on the ring, and they popped off. once they're off, you throw that junk away (retainer, felt) and install 3/8 x 5/8 plain bearings in it's place. :wink:

toybaron
Approved Member

Post by toybaron »

Thanks for the Halsey link to get started, and for the BB hop up...

Ron

JPAE07
Approved Member

Post by JPAE07 »

toybaron wrote:I spent some time today dis-assembling, cleaning and then re-assembling a 6 gear--loved it. It may be "too complicated" for some but it is a very nice piece of engineering...kind of like seeing the insides of a clock. And when the mesh is nice, there's a sense of satisfaction using it. What were the period competitors?
As for transmissions for electrics the Tamiya Frog comes to mind or Kyosho Ultima, Losi's transmission wasn't even around during the real hay day of the 6gear. Eventually, even while the 6 gear was all there was for cased transmissions, MIP introduced the first 3 gear trans with an internal diff, which worked alot more efficiently, leading to the Stealth.

--Whats the best way to remove the felt retainer caps without breaking them or scratching the case? Anyone have replacement felt?There isn't a specific way to remove them except for gingerly with some needlenose or not at all since the instructions recommend that you CA glue the felt/retainer caps in. As for replacement felt, I asked that question while visiting AE in Lake Forest, Don one of the techs returned with my parts and the last piece of circular felt he had and gave it to me. So I guess that was the last one ever from AE. If you're lucky eventually you may find an old hobby shop that still has some.
--Removing the pressed on gears from the diff tube and the top shaft--is that a one shot deal or can they be removed without messing up the alignments or marring the surfaces?They can be removed as they were only pressed on. Being careful and applying the right amount of pressure is key. Otherwise if you don't have to take the gear off then I would just leave it on.
--Whats the way to diagnose the problem of one side running much more smoothly than the other?See Anthony's link

Oh yeah...the case I was working on is horribly dyed a blotchy red...whats the latest on properly dying --really re-dying plastic parts?Pretty simple, get a pot which you don't use for food (recommended) fill 3/4 of the way but use your judgment based on how much you want to dye. Pour a couple caps in or until the water looks saturated. I have used the liquid RIT (better value) and usually use two capfuls. The parts wont melt but make sure to stir the parts every 5 mins or so. Check after 30 by pulling one of the parts out. If dark enough, then just strain and your done.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Ron

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

toybaron wrote:Ron
Ron, if you run that A&L, you gotta tell me what it sounds like. I never got to put it under power. I figure the all metal gearing has a nice, distinctive sound to it.

I am going to attempt to cut down 2 out drives and make metal idlers for my wifes Scorcher-10.
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.

toybaron
Approved Member

Post by toybaron »

picture of that coming soon..need to get proper bearings for the alu rims I have...then about a body....I have a new vintage set of electronics too but still not sure if I'll ever run it or just keep for display...Love that car.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Tadracket wrote:I am going to attempt to cut down 2 out drives and make metal idlers for my wifes Scorcher-10.
tads gonna build a "rock crusher" trans. :mrgreen:

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

scr8p wrote:
Tadracket wrote:I am going to attempt to cut down 2 out drives and make metal idlers for my wifes Scorcher-10.
tads gonna build a "rock crusher" trans. :mrgreen:
After watching the wife run my Tamiya TGX this evening, it'll need it. :lol:
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.