Getting an old abused car running again.

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Jimbo302
Approved Member

Getting an old abused car running again.

Post by Jimbo302 »

I recently pulled my old RC10 out and would like to get it running again.
It took me two years of saving as a kid to buy this thing new. I remember how long it took me to put it together, it was a good thing I had the time in between two Christmas's to do it. When it was done, I was rough on it and I beat it to death back then.

I pulled it out and remembered it was covered in dried mud and spray grease, so it is a disaster.

It has a broken turnbuckle on the front and is missing a battery hold down, needs new wiring, solder work, tires are bald, body broken, etc.

I found an unused battery I bought 11 or so years ago, when I had the idea to fix it then, maybe it is still good.

So far, I ordered another battery and a charger and a new battery pack for the Magnum junior as it was cracked from age.
My plan is to clean it up and make necessary repairs as well as replacing what I need to to keep it going and to have fun with it around the house with my kids.
This car hasn't run since the mid nineties and the dirt and damage have been on it since before then.

I'm looking for places/sites to buy parts, as well information on the best route to go with it.

This is the only RC car I ever owned, so I was a newbie then and still am now. I would appreciate any and all information, advice, and guidance on this.

Here are some pictures of this mess.

Jimbo302
Approved Member

Re: Getting an old abused car running again.

Post by Jimbo302 »

I pulled a bunch of electrical tape out, the old 9v, and old battery pack, and any other garbage stuck in it. I also peeled the 30 year old duct tape job from the bottom of the pan. I was running it in out in the elements and at the time I thought it would protect the car.

R Cane
Approved Member

Post by R Cane »

That poor thing needs some love. :)

Once you meet the requirements for the Buy/Sell/Trade thread here, there are lots of members that can help with pieces parts. Until then, you've got eBay and some online stores that carry vintage parts, like Sabula Tech and Valkyrie RC.

The info and suggestions here are always free, and a lot of the guys here have a TON of knowledge to share.

durb69
Approved Member

Post by durb69 »

WOW! Yeah thats a project. Ive tackled worse though. You'll have a like new buggy when your done though. Keep us posted man!

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

she'll clean up quite nicely. for all that tape residue, you're gonna need some wd40, and acetone. maybe goof off, but the first two usually kick some butt.

follow cleaning of that stuff with a bath in dish detergent and old toothbrush scrub and it will be really nice.

Jimbo302
Approved Member

Post by Jimbo302 »

R Cane wrote:That poor thing needs some love. :)

Once you meet the requirements for the Buy/Sell/Trade thread here, there are lots of members that can help with pieces parts. Until then, you've got eBay and some online stores that carry vintage parts, like Sabula Tech and Valkyrie RC.

The info and suggestions here are always free, and a lot of the guys here have a TON of knowledge to share.
Thank you, I will check those sites.

I looked, and I doubt I will meet the buy and sell requirements anytime soon. I didn't see much on eBay except whole cars, which wouldn't make sense unless I sold the leftover parts after I was done parting a good car out for this junker.

Okay, when looking for parts, is this simply an rc10, or does it have any other designation?

Jimbo302
Approved Member

Post by Jimbo302 »

durb69 wrote:WOW! Yeah thats a project. Ive tackled worse though. You'll have a like new buggy when your done though. Keep us posted man!
I am hoping not to replace so much that it makes it new, I would just buy another car for that.

Jimbo302
Approved Member

Post by Jimbo302 »

jwscab wrote:she'll clean up quite nicely. for all that tape residue, you're gonna need some wd40, and acetone. maybe goof off, but the first two usually kick some butt.

follow cleaning of that stuff with a bath in dish detergent and old toothbrush scrub and it will be really nice.
I was thinking the same. I have a feeling getting it all apart will be more challenging than I think, seeing as how I put it together almost 30 years ago.

durb69
Approved Member

Post by durb69 »

Jimbo302 wrote:
durb69 wrote:WOW! Yeah thats a project. Ive tackled worse though. You'll have a like new buggy when your done though. Keep us posted man!
I am hoping not to replace so much that it makes it new, I would just buy another car for that.
Tires is about all I was thinking it needs. The rest is just good old elbow grease :-)

Jimbo302
Approved Member

Post by Jimbo302 »

durb69 wrote:
Jimbo302 wrote:
Tires is about all I was thinking it needs. The rest is just good old elbow grease :-)
Ah I see. I like that train of thought. I read that the tires are different from new ones. Are these still available?

durb69
Approved Member

Post by durb69 »

Ah I see. I like that train of thought. I read that the tires are different from new ones. Are these still available?[/quote]

i think what you need is these right here. But double check with some other members. I am not sure if they changed them. Also check your PM (private messege) Sending you one in a sec.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Associated-Champion-Rear-Tires-RC10-ASC6815-/291704142284?hash=item43eaebf9cc:g:4mQAAOSwoudW35x9
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Associated-Edge-Front-Tires-RC10-ASC6865-/291704141638?hash=item43eaebf746:g:bGUAAOSwu1VW35xB

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

Post by Bottom Feeder »

Jimbo302 wrote:... this junker.
It's hardly a junker. It just needs a teardown and cleaning. 99% of what's there is fine.

Your rear arm mounts are on the wrong sides. FYI.

Jimbo302
Approved Member

Post by Jimbo302 »

durb69 wrote:Ah I see. I like that train of thought. I read that the tires are different from new ones. Are these still available?
i think what you need is these right here. But double check with some other members. I am not sure if they changed them. Also check your PM (private messege) Sending you one in a sec.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Associated-Champion-Rear-Tires-RC10-ASC6815-/291704142284?hash=item43eaebf9cc:g:4mQAAOSwoudW35x9
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Associated-Edge-Front-Tires-RC10-ASC6865-/291704141638?hash=item43eaebf746:g:bGUAAOSwu1VW35xB[/quote]

Thank you, just bought the set.

durb69
Approved Member

Post by durb69 »

Awesome! Your welcome.

Jimbo302
Approved Member

Post by Jimbo302 »

Bottom Feeder wrote:
Jimbo302 wrote:... this junker.
It's hardly a junker. It just needs a teardown and cleaning. 99% of what's there is fine.

Your rear arm mounts are on the wrong sides. FYI.
Ha, and there they have been for decades plus some, until you said something. Looking back, I recall something about moving them around. I wish I could remember why.

How is this?