Mardave R12 Mini

The place for all things Mardave.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

stevejc
Approved Member

Mardave R12 Mini

Post by stevejc »

Received this last week, rubbish photos didnt do it any justice but at the price i paid i only bought it for the (potentialy) worn out chassis.

As received. The Italian Job body is perfectly well cut and unused, the stickers have been perfectly cut and applied. But the wheels let it down. Behind the wheels though the chassis is as new, unused. The R12 mini chassis is the same as the V12, but shortwheelbase and narrow rear axle, with the standard V12 front arms mounted further inwards to suit, and no suspention. From what i can work out these cars were tried by racers in the early '90's who didnt really like it and preferred the V12 so they were made for a very short time, and no release date was recorded.

The chassis. I had planned to do some mods to it, countersink the chassis and ministock it, but it almost seem a crime too. So far ive changed the top plate mounts from black plastic to alloy, and fitted axle rear bearings to replace the plastic inserts.
Still tempting to countersink it and lower it to see what it goes like, but im happy to just look at it. There was also another body that came with it. Looks good with the 4 spoke revolutions.

This body is also perfectly cut, and stickers applied as per the boxart cars, only difference is the boxart cars were yellow, this is bare plastic white with yellow arched ('painted' with electrical wire tape). With 2 bodies being so well prepped I can help but wonder if they have any history, either way whoever did them knew what they were doing

Think i need to get some tyres sorted 8)
Ive collected afew different v12 based chassis, banger, saloon stock and stockcar, and this one fits quite well into the collection. Im just not sure what to do with it.

romulus22

Re: Mardave R12 Mini

Post by romulus22 »

Looks like a fun little car to drive. Almost a shame it isn't FWD with that mini body though.

stevejc
Approved Member

Re: Mardave R12 Mini

Post by stevejc »

Yeah it would be nice if it was fwd, i used to have a tamiya mini and it certainly added to the effect of being a mini.

Lowered it today about 3mm, fitted minilights and lower profile (worn out) tyres and took a picture. And noticed the reflective tape on the headlights realy looked like lights.

Needs better wheels but im happy with how it sits now so ill get a set of something sorted with tyres that size. I was tempted to countersink the chassis but its so thin that it would be difficult to get the screws flush with the chassis, and i didnt really want to mod it that much so im going to use button head allen screws and nuts to get rid of the self tappers.