Another new guy

Forum rules, site questions/comments, new member introductions.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Biz73
Approved Member

Another new guy

Post by Biz73 »

I guess an introduction would be a good idea. I haven't had an RC10...yet. I couldn't afford the cars my friends had in the 80's, so I've been building Tamiya kits since 2014. I recognize some of you from Tamiya Club. Some day I would like to have an RC10 runner, but I have no idea when that might happen. I have also been considering one of the Kyosho re-issues as well.

I look forward to learning more about the famous RC10. Thanks for having me.

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: Another new guy

Post by XLR8 »

Welcome aboard. :D
What's interesting is that I'm here because I've owned and raced RC10s and CATs bitd but have since branched into collecting other brands (i.e. Kyosho, Tamiya, etc.) because of this site.
The re-re era is definitely ending so get 'em while you can.
Doug

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Welcome!
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Welcome to the site! You'll find the Kyosho and Tamiya sections (among others) are full of helpful information. Whether you're building a re-release or restoring a vintage car, you'll get lots of help here.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Biz73
Approved Member

Post by Biz73 »

Thanks for the welcome guys.

XLR8 - Just curious as to why you think the re-release days are over? I've heard Associated is done with them, but Kyosho just released the Ultima a few months ago and Tamiya just released the Terra Scorcher. I hope these days aren't over soon. I do wish Associated kept producing the RC10's because it is one of the most important buggies in RC history.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Biz73 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:07 pm Thanks for the welcome guys.

XLR8 - Just curious as to why you think the re-release days are over? I've heard Associated is done with them, but Kyosho just released the Ultima a few months ago and Tamiya just released the Terra Scorcher. I hope these days aren't over soon. I do wish Associated kept producing the RC10's because it is one of the most important buggies in RC history.
Associated and Schumacher appear to be finished with re-release and have moved on. I could be wrong but I don’t think Losi or Yokomo ever got in the game. For Kyosho and Tamiya, the pool of vintage RC’s that might appeal to the re-release market is beginning to run dry.
I like Kyosho and Tamiya but I really didn’t connect with those brands bitd like I have with AE and Schumacher.
I’m still holding onto hope that Kyosho will re-release the Mid before the re-re era ends. I have a few vintage Mids in my collection but I’m reluctant to run them hard due to limited parts availability. Kyosho seems to be doing a decent job supporting their “Legendary Series” with only perhaps a few of these parts being labeled as “discontinued”.
I don’t presently own any of Tamiya’s re-release models so I don’t know how they are doing with regard to parts support.
Doug

duckhead

Post by duckhead »

Welcome to the board! :lol:

I was always (and still am!) an RC10 guy and racer, but recently I got into the Tamiya and Kyosho re-release scene as well.

I am enjoying collecting and building the kits, but it is getting difficult to find some of the early re-releases, without paying eBay prices :mrgreen:

Biz73
Approved Member

Post by Biz73 »

XLR8 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:29 pm
Biz73 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:07 pm Thanks for the welcome guys.

Associated and Schumacher appear to be finished with re-release and have moved on. I could be wrong but I don’t think Losi or Yokomo ever got in the game. For Kyosho and Tamiya, the pool of vintage RC’s that might appeal to the re-release market is beginning to run dry.
I like Kyosho and Tamiya but I really didn’t connect with those brands bitd like I have with AE and Schumacher.
I’m still holding onto hope that Kyosho will re-release the Mid before the re-re era ends. I have a few vintage Mids in my collection but I’m reluctant to run them hard due to limited parts availability. Kyosho seems to be doing a decent job supporting their “Legendary Series” with only perhaps a few of these parts being labeled as “discontinued”.
I don’t presently own any of Tamiya’s re-release models so I don’t know how they are doing with regard to parts support.
Thanks for the response. I was just seeing what you might know because I really have no idea and no local shops/RC friends to talk to.

It seems like Kyosho is still going because they released the Ultima and Turbo Optima recently. If I am remembering correctly, they discontinued the Tomahawk at one point, but it's available again. I would imagine they will release the Mid at some point considering that is the one everyone talks about after each new model is released.

Tamiya is still releasing different models, and they are also doing different color versions for a lot of the popular cars/trucks. I hope they continue with the re-releases because they don't seem to be doing much with off-road when it comes to new chassis.

I wish the RC10 re-release was still being made. They are totally out of my price range at the moment.

Biz73
Approved Member

Post by Biz73 »

duckhead wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:05 pm Welcome to the board! :lol:

I was always (and still am!) an RC10 guy and racer, but recently I got into the Tamiya and Kyosho re-release scene as well.

I am enjoying collecting and building the kits, but it is getting difficult to find some of the early re-releases, without paying eBay prices :mrgreen:
I hear you, as soon as a re-release is discontinued, people start selling them for vintage prices!

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Biz73 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:15 pm
...I would imagine they will release the Mid at some point considering that is the one everyone talks about after each new model is released...
I hope you're right.
I've been fortunate enough to lay hands on the re-re Turbo Scorpion, Javelin, Turbo Optima and the Ultima.
The overall quality of Kyosho kits is simply outstanding - the finest I've ever assembled! Every part is precise and perfectly made.
Doug

Biz73
Approved Member

Post by Biz73 »

I've heard they are real nice kits. I'm hoping to get my hands on an Ultima kit if funds allow. I would love a Turbo Optima but it's over my budget for sure.

Biz73
Approved Member

Post by Biz73 »

I took a pic of my whole collection today
ImageRC collection May 2020 #1 by Justin B, on Flickr
Losi XXX-SCT
Tamiya Midnight Pumkin
Tamiya Konghead
TLR(Losi) 22 2.0
Tamiya Holiday Buggy 2010
Tamiya Fast Attack Vehicle