RAD 2

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

civilguy
Approved Member

RAD 2

Post by civilguy »

Does anyone know when the RAD 2 came out? Is it a decent buggy?
There's one listed on CL locally for $75 RTR with charger and battery (I probably would get a modern batt for it). I was thinking this may be a good starter hobby grade buggy for my nephews-- and if not for them at least to have another runner buggy to bring to family functions so I can keep my stuff clean! ;)
Typically I bring 3 Grasshoppers, the Slash and my Clod to let the kids (big and small) run. Would this be a good addition to the stable?
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Re: RAD 2

Post by Mr. ED »

Yeah, it's decent, go for it

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

they are not bad buggies usual traxxas problems crappy plastic axles which you can change I just sold one that was a shelf queen with box and new body for 140.00 on the bay a week or two ago, but I have noticed a incline in the vintage traxxas stuff recently. Hope this answers your questions

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

I'm going to look at it soon. I'll post up some pics when (I mean if) I get it.
From his description it's 15 years old but only run for 5 hours (?? unsure how he arrived at that) and comes with a Futaba Magnum radio, a Hobbico timed charger and a 1500 pack. He's come down on his price too, so this is looking like a good deal.... :D

Edit: it's a Traxxas radio.... I got the box and orginal paperwork still in the plastic bag and some spare spurs and looks like shock parts. It's in decent shape-- I will get some pics up soon.
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Ok- Here are the pics. The buggy seems in decent shape. I haven't gone through it yet and it is dusty/dirty, but the yokes and plastic driveshafts have no oblonging at the metal universal joints, so it has been run very little. The bottom has some scrapes and the wing is cracked/broken in the corner, but the serial # sticker is very intact and the sticker on the original silver can motor is still there. Some odd things like the ESC seems to have been turned 90deg and tie-strapped in and the front shocks look to have changed mounts. It came with all directions, parts lists and some still sealed spare parts baggies!! It even had the tag that was on the ESC wires from the factory (brown tag with elastic still attached). The newest date on the manuals was a parts list updated May 1992.

I think my kids and I will go through this over the winter and ballrace it, then give it to my nephews with a second battery pack for their birthdays (all in the spring within 1-1/2 months). Or I may keep it.... I hate to see 'em go..... :oops:

A good score I would say!

The whole deal:

The innards:

The bottom (sorry for the blur, not enough light):

The body (painted on the outside) & radio:

Front end with changed shock positions (very RC10... and TRX1 of course):

Last, the ESC tag... this cracked me up because I just threw away the ones I have acquired since I got back into r/c two years ago... why would anyone keep these things? ;)
Jeff

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

I have new (out of pack) rears for that car if you need them:

Pretty sure these are 2.2's.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Looks real good and should serve the purpose you described with pride.
Are stampede , bandit or rustler parts compatible with this car?

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

JK- PM me a price for those shipped to 03102. I think the box says 2.15" tires, but if they're original it shouldn't matter. I haven't even checked if the tires are glued or not.

Ed- Thanks, for what I wanted it's perfect. I think that this would be from the Hawk/Bullet/Sledgehammer era, but it looks like a lot of parts would work too. I'm just getting into this, but some of the transmission parts are still the same number as my runner XL-1 Rustler that I bought just over 2 years ago (as leftover NIB stock), for example 1996 30tooth idler. I'm sure there's more crossover parts as Traxxas seems to have just gone from white to black parts with some of the same molds.
Jeff

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

That would make it an ideal contender for vintage spec racing with plenty spares in the US.
yes, the hawk is defintely the same line; that was the truck I wanted when trucks were still truggies but that name didn't exist yet

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

I finally tore this whole thing down. The wing is cracked and there was a missing grub screw on the wing mount; one of the front arms had a small nick taken out of the leading edge; there were some scratches on the bottom from running on asphalt; the bumper is pretty mean-- other than that this thing was sweet. I cleaned it all up (Super Clean does work really well) and installed bearings all around, re-greased the diff and this thing is ready for a box-stock class. ;)
Tower actually had wheels & tires for this thing (TRX-1), so I ordered up a set of new front spikes and fresh wheels. I emailed Traxxas about a body & wing to make a boxart racer (still listed on their site, but out of stock :roll: ) and I'm on the lookout for a new(ish) front bumper. Thanks to JK for the rear tires-- they are exact matches. It's weird to see white Traxxas parts. :lol:
I'll get some photos in the daylight tomorrow.
Jeff

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I'm jealous already and now you're gonna tease me with nice sun-shiny pics too?
;)

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

The images were large, so I have created a slideshow here: Image

Special for you Mr. Daddy. ;)

BTW I am still on the lookout for a body & wing for this. I would love to do a nice boxart paintjob.
I did find new front & rear wheels and new front spikes that Traxxas is still manufacturing!! :shock: The mounted fronts are the correct optional ribbed tires and I found them NIB on ebay. The antenna tube is not OEM spec.... :cry:
Jeff

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

thankyou kind sir
The perfect underdog car!

I have the impression this car is not going to end up in your nephews hands after all :wink:

Maybe you can use the tamiya baja champ body till you find the right one
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5256

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Ok- this has remained in my possession (Mr Ed was right!) and I am planning on running it at the VONats this year. I installed a Tekin G10 Pro and an old 27turn handout motor last night, glued some tires to the wheels and will be racing tonight at the local track. I did try it for 3 laps back in May with the XL1, original silver can and a 1500 nicd pack and it was sloooow, but handled well and jumped nicely. Hopefully that continues with the better motor/esc/battery combo. I will try to post an update this weekend.
Jeff

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Get a friend to take some action shots while you're on the wheel!