mip gear diff

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scr8p
Administrator

mip gear diff

Post by scr8p »

is there some kind of friggin trick to get these smooth? i've had mine apart and together at least 20 times and it still feels like crap. and yes, everything is clean and lubed. :wink:

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Re: mip gear diff

Post by Erich Reichert »

LMAO!!!! They were tough... all that metal on metal. I'd say try running the "diff ring" sides over fine grit sandpaper in a circular motion until the scuffs cover the entire contact area. Don't worry about the scuffs... they'll actually feel smooth when its all built.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

There are no diff rings on a gear diff. ;) :P

I ran mine with a thin silicone lube in the gears—not much, just enough to get the little spider gears coated. Today, you could probably use a few drops of a 5,000 wt. 1/8th silicone gear lube.

When they do break in, they are as smooth as butter. I would break mine in using a hand drill... a minute or two in each direction, back and forth. They break in pretty quickly. Once they get run in a car, they spin forever.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

LMAO! Ya i totally missed that whole gear part. LOL

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

What Eau Rouge said!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i'll try the trick with the drill, but i don't think it's a problem with the gears. when everything is assembled in the main housing, it spins pretty nice and free. as soon as you attempt to put the diff housing on, it's as if the holes where the pins should line up might be off the slightest bit, and it squeezes two of the idler gears together. it's gets very tight, almost to the point of not being able to turn it. :?

well, i'll mess around with it some more and see what happens. i'll also try to lightly sand the diff rings like erich mentioned. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

scr8p wrote:i'll try the trick with the drill, but i don't think it's a problem with the gears. when everything is assembled in the main housing, it spins pretty nice and free. as soon as you attempt to put the diff housing on, it's as if the holes where the pins should line up might be off the slightest bit, and it squeezes two of the idler gears together. it's gets very tight, almost to the point of not being able to turn it. :?

well, i'll mess around with it some more and see what happens. i'll also try to lightly sand the diff rings like erich mentioned. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Hmmm... does it do that when the pins are removed, too? Try removing one pin at a time and assembling it.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i'll try that and see what happens.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

well, i played around with it a bit. i'm not exactly sure how i did it, but it seems to be much better now. a little bit more time hooked up to my drill press, and i think it'll be just fine.

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

BTW as that seems to be getting sorted, can I ask if anyone remembers who posted a picture of the geared diff. slipper topshaft?

They were selling it I think. I am missing some bits and have finally got round to making the extra washers, slipper pads, etc I need and I can't find the pic. :oops:

I have the manual scans from the scans section but can't find the pic which is better detail (I could have sworn I saved it on my pc at the time but nope)...

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Best way to run them in is with "TOOTHPASTE"....there is a nice gentle abrasive in toothpaste.......

Build the diff using toothpaste as grease - and then run it using a drill on one side - making the gears rotate and grind themselves in gently - usually takes 10 minutes or so .

This is NOT a joke! :shock: Used this method for many years.

As far as the gearbox casing clamping on the gears goes - sand off some material off each side of the gears - probably only need a thousandth or so off each side......just a thought.

Cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International