Losi Timeline?

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

minichamps11
Approved Member

Losi Timeline?

Post by minichamps11 »

Hi, has anyone come across a Losi buggy timeline, like the Schumacher & Yokomo ones on this site? If not would anyone care to give it a go? I'd like to find out more about Losi's 2WD models in particular.

Cheers,

Ian

fakiee
Approved Member

Re: Losi Timeline?

Post by fakiee »

I would like to see this too, Vintage Losi for some reason are hard to find info on. I have got sevevral recently and have strugled to find anything on them :(

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

This site is pretty awesome and should get all the early Losi's sorted out for you:
http://www.vintagelosi.com/Main.html

Keyz
Approved Member

Post by Keyz »

A good idea.

When definitive answers are provided, edit your first post to include the list.

I'll have a crack, each car describes advances/changes from previous, most have new body shells on previous.

JRX2 - 1988 - 5 link rear suspension, 2.0 inch 5 spoke orange wheels, LRM transmission
JRX2 Proformance (Proformanance) Kit - 1989 - Upgrade kit for JRX2 to Pro spec
JRX Pro - 1990 - longer graphite plate chassis, h-arm suspension, logo wheels
Junior 2 - ? - Budget version of JRX Pro, molded chassis, plastic front shock tower, actually the influence for the JRX Pro SE's chassis
JRX Pro SE - 1991 - Molded chassis, slipper clutch, black anodised shock bodies, new spring clamps
Double X - 1993 (IFMAR worlds debut) - New transmission, Hydradrive, New molded 'tunnel' chassis, 2.2 inch disk wheels
Double X CR - 1996 - Full graphite compliment, 5 spoke 2.2" wheels, CR rear suspension, new sway bar mount in front arms
Double X CR Kinwald - 1997 - Blue alloy parts, Lunsford turnbuckles, revert to disk wheels, dual disk slipper
Triple X - 1999 (ROAR Nationals debut) - New molded chassis, new molded disk wheels, new transmission, grey hard anodised shocks
Triple X Spec - 2000? - Budget version of Triple X, Blue tyres, blue anodised (not hard anodised) shocks, bushings, white wheels
Triple X Brian Kinwald Edition - 2001? - Blue molded nylon parts, full graphite compliment, titanium turnbuckles, ti nitride shock shafts and hinge pins, threaded shock bodies, Blue wheels
Triple X Brian Kinwald Edition 2 - 2003 (IFMAR Worlds debut) - New Transmission, Variable Length Arm suspension
Triple X CR - 2007 - New transmission (reverts to original Triple X transmission), EA3 composite parts, additional suspension mounting points, multi piece wing kit

Double X4 - 1996 - Triple belt transmission, 5 spoke wheels
Double X4 Worlds Edition - 1999/2000 - milled chassis, threaded shocks, ti turnbuckles, CR rear suspension?, lowered motor mount, new molded disk wheels
Triple X4 - 2002 (IFMAR worlds debut of prototype) - single belt transmission, steel turnbuckles, unthreaded shocks
Triple X4 Graphite Plus - 2003 - full graphite compliment, ti turnbuckles, threaded shocks

JRXT - 1989? - 5 Link suspension, LRM transmission
Junior T - Budget version of JRXT, molded chasiss, plastic front shock tower, one piece wheels
LXT Conversion - 1992 - Convert JRXT to LXT
LXT - 1992 - Truck version of JRX Pro SE, lexan Disk wheels though, same tyres!
Double XT - 1994? - Truck Version of Double X, lexan disk wheels, but fronts have shallower offset
Double XT CR - 1995/1996? - Truck Version of Double X
Triple XT - 2000? - Truck Version of Triple X
Triple XT Spec - 2000? - Budget version of Triple X, Blue tyres, blue anodised (not hard anodised) shocks, bushings, white wheels
Triple XT Matt Francis Edition - 2001/2002 - Truck Version of Triple X BK
Triple XT CR - 2007 - Truck Version of Triple X CR

Trucks obviously have slightly longer chassis, and their development tended to follow the buggies. They seem to carry exactly the same advances between the generation of buggies, other than where advised.

Budget versions obviously ran along side the pro level kits. Each generation of pro kit built on the one before, but the budget kits fit in the timeline. Please don't think the next pro kit built on the budget kits :)

Let me know what you think guys.

I know I have some (most!) dates wrong, but have bracketed where I know a date has proof. Also done completly from the top of my head, so some parts updates may be in the wrong generation also

Please don't shoot me :wink:

Edited for extra kits, dates still need confirmation for some kits.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

at quick glance, you missd the junior-2, junior-t, and the proformance kit.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

the lxt conversion kit, too.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

The Jrx2 was definitely not out in 1986. I think the vintage Losi site is right with 1988, that seems correct.

I think the LXT conversion was out for a few months before the complete kit, less than a year I think.

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Going off my admittedly limited memory:
JRX2 was late '88 I believe, definitely with orange 5 spoke wheels. The first price list is dated October I believe.
LXT was prototyped at the '91 Roar nats in September, came out first in conversion form in the spring of '92 followed very quickly by the full kit.
The Proformance kit was sometime in the winter of '89-90, I think late '89, based on the '89 nats cars.

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

Bongo Fury wrote:Going off my admittedly limited memory:
JRX2 was late '88 I believe, definitely with orange 5 spoke wheels. The first price list is dated October I believe.
LXT was prototyped at the '91 Roar nats in September, came out first in conversion form in the spring of '92 followed very quickly by the full kit.
The Proformance kit was sometime in the winter of '89-90, I think late '89, based on the '89 nats cars.
Definately 89 or late 88 on the JRX2, Very good info on all these kits. It sounds right on to me.

To me the pro SE was one of the best indoor cars of all time, not so good on slick outdoor tracks, one of the cars on my list to build for sure.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Yeah, the SE was a great car. And a milestone in racing buggy evolution, molded chassis tying into the front and rear bulkheads. All 3 current top buggies look more like this than anything from the era in my opinion (with a historical nod to the Junior 2 for the chassis)

Late '91 I believe?

Without a doubt I had the Limited Introductory Series JRX2 in late '88. The first one the local shop received. :mrgreen:

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

I remember buying my JRX2 the day they were released to the public...plain box with big red JRX2 printed on it...Bought mine at Ranch Pit Shop...spent all night putting it together and racing it the next day...clear body and all.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

nikos2002

Post by nikos2002 »

Triple x4 maybe prototyped at 2001 worlds with an '02 official release. I ran a xxx4 at the '03 worlds.
TQ Race Products Factory Representative
Hobbywing Factory Driver

Keyz
Approved Member

Post by Keyz »

Funny as it may sound Nikos, the 2001 worlds were actually held in 2002 (due to 9/11 I think). So was run in prototype form at SA worlds, and released that year.

Pm me about your worlds in '03, be interested to hear from you :)