'Free' Kinwald XX that i'm racing!

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DerbyDan
Approved Member

'Free' Kinwald XX that i'm racing!

Post by DerbyDan »

I've been after a 'runner' XX for a while to race with as i'm sure I could do just as well with one as I am doing with my mid-motored XXXCR2... anyway, I had a recollection that my mate ran one in-between/after running Associated B2/B3s in the 90s. So I enquired to his dad (also a good friend) if they still had the car & if I could buy it off them.... so a bit of a dig around in his loft & he came up with this & said I could have it! :shock:

So its missing a few bits - CVDs, Lunsford Ti, Turnbuckles, the complete slipper assembly, plastic top shock mount/spacers & the springs - but these can all be 'borrowed' from the CR2 or my other XXX (although i'd prefer to keep these cars complete)

urpaldan
Approved Member

Re: 'Free' Kinwald XX that i'm going to race!

Post by urpaldan »

This should be interesting. Will you be racing against modern buggys? I really need to finish off my own kinwald and post some pics...

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

Set up right ypu will not lack anything.

They have great rear traction. Handle the rough as good if not better to todays buggys.

Just need to dial in a little more steering which is easy.

Good stuff. Good mate too. Gooo the XX KE
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

urpaldan wrote:This should be interesting. Will you be racing against modern buggys? I really need to finish off my own kinwald and post some pics...
Of course :wink: - it will be fitted with all the electrics from the XXX CR2 - 6.5BL Hacker motor, LRP Sphere speedo, KO servo, LiPo battery etc, I have no doubts that the transmission/gearbox is up to the job since it is identical to the one in the Triple XXX :)

Yes - post some pics of your Kinwald - make a build thread so we can see your progress as you go... its much more fun for the rest of us to see, rather than just seeing 'finished' pics in the first post :wink:

@ Mad Racer; yes I am in no doubt that the XX can mix it with the modern buggies - my old XX was my favourite ever buggy - and in my memory, i've never driven any 2wd that went so well, maybe I'm looking back through rose-tinted glasses, but at least by running this car it will prove a point, one way or another! :mrgreen:

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Very nice,
Im in the process of building my xxKW runner also but mine will be missing the blue bits as they got donated to my xx-t KW. Just a heads up, you mentioned running Lipo's, I had to remove some material out of the battery slot in rear bulk head to make them fit. easier to do now than the first time you go to slide one in.

I have a NIP tecnacraft TI hingepin/tierod set that could be forsale....

Keep us updated I like watching new builds.

Cheers Luke
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

Nice car, great mate.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

slapshot1979 wrote:Very nice,
Im in the process of building my xxKW runner also but mine will be missing the blue bits as they got donated to my xx-t KW. Just a heads up, you mentioned running Lipo's, I had to remove some material out of the battery slot in rear bulk head to make them fit. easier to do now than the first time you go to slide one in.

I have a NIP tecnacraft TI hingepin/tierod set that could be forsale....

Keep us updated I like watching new builds.

Cheers Luke
Yes, I think i'll be removing the blue motor plate before running this.. its pretty much mark-free. In fact the car appears to have very little run time on it 8)

With regard to the battery - I'm using an old Trak-Power 3200mha pack in my XXT http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14172 which I had to raise out of the lower part of the chassis which is too narrow for the battery to lay into - I used a thin peice of Balsa wood as a pad & it works pretty well!

Ivan Dobsky
Approved Member

Post by Ivan Dobsky »

Cool, there was a guy I raced with that had a XX for a long time after they went out of production and he always kicked my ass when we raced indoors. And I really like the shell your car has come with.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

xx's can hold their own against anything.

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

I have five now and only need a few metal parts to build a 6th one lol OOOOHHHH THE SICKNESS AAAHHHHHHH !!!!!!! Don

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

awesome dan can't wait to see and hear all the results. a nice gift indeed :)

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Spent much of the weekend stripping, cleaning & re-building this XX buggy - i'm hoping its 1st meeting will tomorrow evening at Silverstone Buggy Club's indoor venue near Northampton (UK)

Re-building the diff/gearbox;

Chassis re-assembled - just need to rig-up the speedo;

Machined motor mount - a part that was fitted on my XXT gearboxed Mardave Cobra, but had originally been fitted to my original XX buggy, another nice part is the carbon transmission brace from Fibrelyte.

With the bodyshell fitted;

Slipper assembly stolen from my CR2;

I encountered a few problems along the way - the first being with the servo-saver shaft, it appears the tiny bearing at the bottom end had suffered the same fate at the one on my recently re-build XXT, whereby it had got wet & seized, on this XX only the centre of the ball-race remained rusted (& impossible to remove) to the end of the pin, when I took the car apart this was just 'flapping' about in the hole for the bearing in the chassis - so I took one of the std plastic bearings & opened up the hole in the middle to suit the new dia of the pin with the bearing centre still attached!

The turnbuckles & ball ends are borrowed from the CR2 so they are not really the ideal length for the XX - I have the long rear camber links from the CR2 on the front of the XX to try & get the length to the kingpin ball stud (a popular XX upgrade Bitd) This leaves shorter turnbuckles on the rear which for my tastes doesn't leave enough thread in the plastic ball cups when they are adjusted :|

The old gold TrakPower LiPo battery is a real tight squeeze - it fits bit i'm going to have to shave down the end of the battery bar to get it to slide in between the battery & chassis at the back. Also on electrics, my LRP Sphere is very tall with the fan fitted meaning that I'd have to cut a hole in the shell & let it poke through if I mount it in my prefered location down the side of the battery, not only would this ruin the appearance, I fear it would leave the ESC vunerable - so i'm going to (begrudgingly) mount it vertically on the rear tower/bulkhead - something I don't normally like to do as I think it makes the electrics install look messy :?

Headling
Approved Member

Post by Headling »

Looks great Dan!

Let us know how you get on with it at the race meeting, show the modern stuff how a classic can go!
If in doubt go flat out!

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Looks killer ;)

Pack a few parts though... at one of our 2wd races one of my friends pulled out his XX-cr... it was running only a few tenths per lap slower than the modern cars... but he would not finish a single run as the plastics had turned out brittle. The first part to go was the black bulkhead (get the white one ;) )

LEt us know about laptimes and results 8)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Lonestar wrote:Looks killer ;)

Pack a few parts though... at one of our 2wd races one of my friends pulled out his XX-cr... it was running only a few tenths per lap slower than the modern cars... but he would not finish a single run as the plastics had turned out brittle. The first part to go was the black bulkhead (get the white one ;) )

LEt us know about laptimes and results 8)

Paul
Thats bizarre :shock: The plastics on this car look & feel fine... but race-time will tell I guess :?: I'll have to keep my fingers crossed as I don't really have many spares to speak of - just what I can steal from my XXT or XXX buggy - I do have a NIB XX kit - but I don't want to take bits from that!

Will definately do an update on here with the results/my findings from tomorrow evening :wink: