Schumacher Cat XLS runner

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bormac
Approved Member

Re: Schumacher Cat XLS runner

Post by Bormac »

Great looking CAT.I have a couple of XLS cars and a heap of spares along with a couple of sets of good used chrome rims too.Im yet to get one running as Ive stripped one right down and meticulously cleaned every part ready to be re assembled with some fresh new parts.Ive also got 2 Procat's waiting for complete rebuilds-1 has the factory belt over the top of the chassis conversion set. I have 2 complete new sets of the yoke' addapters.They are shiny and new but cant imagine parting with them just yet.When I do end up getting the cars up and runing I'll post pics before I race em in an up and coming vintage event.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

minichamps11
Approved Member

Post by minichamps11 »

Bormac,

I've never heard of an official Schumacher over-the-chassis conversion for the CAT/Procat. Would be interested in seeing some photos or more information?

Cheers,

Ian

phoenix
Approved Member

Post by phoenix »

Minicooper 35 wrote:I really love the paintjob and how it fits the lines of the body! :!: Reeeeally nice! :D
That's what i also thought ! The paint Job is really great !

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

minichamps11 wrote:Bormac,

I've never heard of an official Schumacher over-the-chassis conversion for the CAT/Procat. Would be interested in seeing some photos or more information?

Cheers,

Ian
Ian I bought a huge lot of stuff from a guy here in Australia who was at one time an international sponsored driver. One of his sponsors was ofcourse Schumacher and I have a handful of special chassis which have see more mods than I can recall. One of the Procat's has a fibreglass saddle pack chassis with the belt running over the top just like the Bosscat did. The car is definately a Procat though with mods made before the Bosscat's time. Ive just moved house so it may be a short while before I dig it out of storage.Once I do I'll get some pics though. Cheers-Jason.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

PLEASE guys, could you stop using those colored fonts, it's just unreadable or hurting our eyes and doesn't add anything... :|

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Asso man are you serious? The highlighted lettering doesnt bother me the slightest. Surely its hardly worth complaining about ..... :wink: I know strobe lights send some people aroud the bend,are you one of those guys?? :lol:
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

minichamps11
Approved Member

Post by minichamps11 »

Bormac,

Sounds like you got some cool rare stuff there - fantastic. Have you tried running a Procat recently after driving modern cars? I've still got mine from 15 years ago and got it working on grass last summer. What a scary drive that was. It had almost instant turn in, with as much steering as you could possibly want. It was so twitchy I could hardly drive it. Modern cars have much more stability & better suspension, but then again they have to cope with 4.5 brushless motors & 4200mAH cells...

I was trying to think of a modern car that has both a front diff and one way driveshafts? Almost all the kits I can think of have a diff + one-way layshaft, OR one way driveshafts with a fixed spool. Wonder why Schumacher changed from the latter (on the CAT SWB with fixed diff) to the CAT XLS /Procat set up.......

I remember now that I used slick front tyres on my Procat to stop it steering so much...(and I couldn't afford new ones back them :D )

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

Remember the CATs were built around the driving ability of Andy Dobson, Schumachers star 1/12th driver. That's why it was well and truly beaten by the Mini Mustang and others when it first came out as anyone with lightning reflexes couldn't drive the original SWB CAT consistently. They only made the LWB version so Cecil could drive it, which is why it was originally nicknamed the 'geriatric'. Everyone else found the XL easier to drive, but the front diff was an option everyone used to get the steering back, so it became a standard kit item.

A front diff and one way driveshafts was a popular setup at the time, mainly because not many cars had a layshaft to put a one way on.

dangermouse
Approved Member

Post by dangermouse »

Yea I love the body, but can't take credit for the paintjob. It was like that when I bought the car off a mate for a bottle of bourbon many years ago. :D

Bormac, you need to post a thread and put up pics of your cars. The procat with the belt over the chassis sounds interesting.

minichamps11, yes the cats were a very "dynamic" car to drive. They were very fast and rewarding to drive if you kept your concentration levels up.

I never drove a SWB cat but I have a near mint one. :wink: I raced an XL cat bought new back in the day, and progressed through the XLS to the procat. The XL with its spool and oneway driveshafts tended to hook into corners, and then wash out into understeer mid corner. The XLS with its diff and oneways was a lot smoother on turnin with more steering through the corner.

If you want to tame down your procat, look at the article I posted on Phil Davies procat. The first things to do are to shim the front top wishbones for less camber, and shim the rear suspension arms for some extra toe-in. Also consider removing the front one-ways to make it fulltime 4WD, which makes a huge difference to handling, especially on a slippery bumpy track.

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

bormac wrote:Asso man are you serious? The highlighted lettering doesnt bother me the slightest. Surely its hardly worth complaining about ..... :wink: I know strobe lights send some people aroud the bend,are you one of those guys?? :lol:
It's a bother when the background is white, to the point of being worth complaining about...

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

templeofspeed wrote:
bormac wrote:Asso man are you serious? The highlighted lettering doesnt bother me the slightest. Surely its hardly worth complaining about ..... :wink: I know strobe lights send some people aroud the bend,are you one of those guys?? :lol:
It's a bother when the background is white, to the point of being worth complaining about...
x2

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Asso_man! wrote:
templeofspeed wrote:
x2
x3
No offence, but with the silver theme the green seems to vibrate and the yellow disappears.
Edit: I love strobe lights: a friend with a disco bar would put up 5 different colour ones and lot s of smoke. Smashing with the right music!

Northy2
Approved Member

Post by Northy2 »

My ProCat is ace to drive, so on edge it's really rewarding! It does take max concentration for 5 mins though! :shock:

G
I'm back! I was 'Northy' but my profile got screwed :(

minichamps11
Approved Member

Post by minichamps11 »

My first Procat was a worn out second hand car with a Team Tanaplan black alloy chassis & top deck. It bent easily & was less stiff than the standard chassis - must have been an upgrade purely for fashion value. The car also had a Wasp layshaft (did Wasp just sell re-badged MMS parts?) with a machined Delrin(?) spur gear that made a horrible screeching noise like a Tamiya car .............sorry Tamiya lovers, but they all make bad noises, even the TRF501X :P

I was dead proud for about 2 months as I finally had a top of the range car...then Schumacher bought out the Bosscat and I realised what a heap I'd been driving. :cry:

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

minichamps11 wrote:The car also had a Wasp layshaft (did Wasp just sell re-badged MMS parts?)
Nope, this is a Wasp high torque gearbox in one of Procats 8)