Yokomo YZ-10 870c Square hub to standard Hex hub conversion

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

Yokomo YZ-10 870c Square hub to standard Hex hub conversion

Post by Toasted Coastie »

This thread is for converting the old style Yokomo YZ-10 870c square hubs to the standard hex hub. There is no real definitive thread on the web with ideas, how to, or discussion about it. I'm creating this thread to move all the posts about this discussion from http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10014 (MR-4BC/MX-4 axle adaptation) thread.

Mods: It is possible to move posts starting with jwscab's post on Jan 13 2010 on down from the MR-4BC/MX-4 axle adaptation thread located at the above link and move them to this thread?

Ron

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Yokomo YZ-10 Square hubs to standard Hex hubs conversion

Post by scr8p »

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

scr8p wrote:what's wrong with this one?

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12465
touche. Perhaps deleting this thread, and moving the posts to the one you indicated might be a better idea.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Scr8pe, that thread is rather specific about the concept one member used and is of limited use to others as it requires, skills and acces to tools and parts which are not generally available.

Toast'ie can you rename this thread so we can dedicate it clearly to the 870C only.
The name YZ-10 is used for both 870C, YZ-10 and works YZ-10. Due to the different suspension, the conversion for one won't work for the other.

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

Mr. ED wrote:Scr8pe, that thread is rather specific about the concept one member used and is of limited use to others as it requires, skills and acces to tools and parts which are not generally available.

Toast'ie can you rename this thread so we can dedicate it clearly to the 870C only.
The name YZ-10 is used for both 870C, YZ-10 and works YZ-10. Due to the different suspension, the conversion for one won't work for the other.
Done.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Re: Yokomo YZ-10 870c Square hub to standard Hex hub conversion

Post by tamiyadan »

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I think the idea is to find a suitable method to allow newer rubber on the 870C with the least amount of pain, and most readily available parts.

since this a new thread, and this makes sense to add this here, let me run down the options that have been hashed out so far:

1. easiest to implement, but tough to find-stock yokomo 2.1/2.2" wheels, the pink ones-stuck with the pink ones though.

2. find suitable cvd/universals that allow a drop in replacement and then allow a hex to whatever will fit with the correct offset-kyosho or tamiya parts may be the ticket. end up a little pricey for genuine kyosho-3racing or yeahracing may have alternatives that are cheaper.

3. custom cvd's to allow the same as #2-so far, I've found that TC5 parts could work with shimming and lengthening the bone and new bearings. there are some possibilities with some HPI parts as well. this requires some machine work/fab

3. adapters that bolt to existing yoke universals to adapt to a hex-allows use of kyosho or hpi wheels-this is the stuff in my thread. backspacing is limited, they also require some machine work/fab.

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

jwscab wrote:
1. easiest to implement, but tough to find-stock yokomo 2.2" wheels, the pink ones-stuck with the pink ones though.
The pink ones are 2.2? Good to know. Are they the ones with 4 screw holes? Are they the only color that are 2.2? Good information.

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

What I am getting ready to try is with the following parts. I should get the parts in next week. This was with the assistance of the guys at New Era models. We found that HPI part#103361 REAR AXLE 5x39mm was a perfect fit for my 870c. However, in order to use this axle, you need a dogbone from 66mm-68mm long. I found ACME Buggy Spare Parts: Part# 30048 67mm. When I get the parts in, I will take pictures.

HPI part 103361 11.95 per set of 2
ACME Buggy Spare Parts: Part# 30048 67mm 1.75 each

If I am wrong, I am out $31. I'm willing to bet one off wheels from New Era, as much as they like me there, are going to cost me 4X that number.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

I know. However, this is a cheap solution. There is a set of pink wheels up for $65 on auction though....

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yeah i edited my post. I think they are 2.1" but require the bands to up the tire size to 2.2". I forgot about that as I was typing that list.

the combo you are looking at is very promising, make sure you update this thread with your results!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Mr. ED wrote:Scr8pe, that thread is rather specific about the concept one member used and is of limited use to others as it requires, skills and acces to tools and parts which are not generally available.
not really. there's multiple guys on there with how they did their car and what they used.

and when i read something like this in the other thread from glowster21.....

I used Kyosho Wheels all around on my 870c. You need the Kyosho Universals from the Front of a ZX5 Sp and the Rear of the Original RB5. They fit direct, same bearing sizes as the Yokomo, and work great. I recommend you use the original ZX5 front wheels as they make the front of the car sit a little wider than the newer ZX5 fronts. Either wheel you choose, it works OUTSTANDING!!! During warm ups for a Vintage Nats I was spanking B44's and ZX5's with my good old 870c with modern rubber.

...... why mess around? i mean, i'm all for making stuff work on something that it wasn't intended to be used on. but if you don't have the ability to make custom parts yourself, you go with what you already know works. unless you just feel like wasting money on parts that don't.

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

scr8p wrote:
not really. there's multiple guys on there with how they did their car and what they used.

and when i read something like this in the other thread from glowster21.....

I used Kyosho Wheels all around on my 870c. You need the Kyosho Universals from the Front of a ZX5 Sp and the Rear of the Original RB5. They fit direct, same bearing sizes as the Yokomo, and work great. I recommend you use the original ZX5 front wheels as they make the front of the car sit a little wider than the newer ZX5 fronts. Either wheel you choose, it works OUTSTANDING!!! During warm ups for a Vintage Nats I was spanking B44's and ZX5's with my good old 870c with modern rubber.

...... why mess around? i mean, i'm all for making stuff work on something that it wasn't intended to be used on. but if you don't have the ability to make custom parts yourself, you go with what you already know works. unless you just feel like wasting money on parts that don't.
OK. I understand you as well. However, both my front and back are the same length. So which do I use? Do I want to pay that much? Are they available? Point me in the right direction. What is a ZX5 SB? What is a RB5? I'll gladley look into any of it.

Look, I'm new, and don't want to make waves. If you need to save bandwith, merge this one into that one.