MR-4BugC

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Mr. ED
Approved Member

MR-4BugC

Post by Mr. ED »

I picked up a cheap MR4-BC in Japan over a year ago and it stayed in the background till shortly.
The main reason was I had no clue of how to really personalize this rather modern build with all its molded parts.
And then this idea hit me... took me some time to get it right , but it came out way better and easier than I thought; I only had to handfab 1 part and didn't even have to go down to 2WD as I initially expected.
Attachments
IMG_7945.JPG
IMG_7946.JPG
IMG_7947.JPG

Justjoe
Approved Member

Re: MR-4BugC

Post by Justjoe »

Mr Ed,
That has got to be the best looking bug body I have ever seen on an RC car.

Way Cool
USAF Retired
870C, Works 91, YR4-M2 Pro, RC10 Graphite, RC10 Carbon fiber tub
Old Skool RC10 Gold pan, RC10DS, Traxxas REVO

minimini
Approved Member
Location: KWS@Hong Kong; 3.5 hours' trip to meet tiger1 and only 7,777 miles from Doug

Post by minimini »

great work Erik..........:)

using a 4wd buggy chassis for a bug shell seems more reasonable........ imo........the front wheels in the SS are a bit too tiny........
mini@vintage Team Yokomo/Associated

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

thanks guys
I'm not sure if it will stay 4WD but even if I go 2WD I may still use 4WD front wheels.
The car doesn't have a slipper, which scares me. I only have one slipper and that resides in the mx-4. So, I was thinking about replacing the diffballs in the rear with friction pegs from Traxxas... actually I'm stupid not thing of this before: I could do the same with the front diff :roll:

I know there's a later slipper design of the MR-4TC I could use but I have no clue what partnr to look out for and old Yokomo spares are very scarse here.

Aside from looking Fun the beetle body also functions as a protection for the weakest point of the car: the front shock tower and its fixation on the upperhalve of the gearcase. Maybe I'll cut the original body to clear the body posts and serve as dust guard later.

Anyway I thought some people 'd like to see how I made the shorter wheelbase and relocated the steering. Some body-off shots:
Attachments
front arms swapped back and shocks on the rear of the shocktower bring the wheelbas from short to beetle ultra-short. The servo saver is original but is now mounted a little wider and further back to clear the new shock position. A piece of carbon from a dtm chassis was shaped to fit under the topdeck and fixes the top of the servo saver. The old servo saver location on the topdeck carries the front bodymounts and fixes the carbon piece also.
front arms swapped back and shocks on the rear of the shocktower bring the wheelbas from short to beetle ultra-short. The servo saver is original but is now mounted a little wider and further back to clear the new shock position. A piece of carbon from a dtm chassis was shaped to fit under the topdeck and fixes the top of the servo saver. The old servo saver location on the topdeck carries the front bodymounts and fixes the carbon piece also.
The aftermarket rear pulley allows using a standard spur. And I chose to use  small one in combination with a 27 turns stock moter and large pinion: thus preventing having to cut the chassis for clearance.
The aftermarket rear pulley allows using a standard spur. And I chose to use small one in combination with a 27 turns stock moter and large pinion: thus preventing having to cut the chassis for clearance.
no extra holes were drilled in the new chassis (the original one was replaced by the previous owner for the lightweight version with batterycell cut-outs)
no extra holes were drilled in the new chassis (the original one was replaced by the previous owner for the lightweight version with batterycell cut-outs)