A&L and 9T brushless

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Hcp22
Approved Member

A&L and 9T brushless

Post by Hcp22 »

Hi experts, I have a question for you:
I have started to think about my next project, this project includes a NIP vintage A&L Ultima gearbox! Do you think the A&L gearbox will stand up for 9T brushless motor and S2 LiPo? 8)
Lethal Weapon -1.jpg
Cheers
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: A&L and 9T brushless

Post by Charlie don't surf »

No, but maybe Darryl can chime in here- the NiCad's BITD never saw the same voltage numbers that the last batches of 40a matched NiMih's saw- and the power output of the motor is increased exponentially with input voltage. The peak output ( under 1 min ) of a SCRC 1700 pack BITD was about 8.0v and for every revolution of the motor, that voltage continued to decrease as did motor output- A current nice 20-30c 2S lipo has an 8.44 voltage peak, but the voltage really dances at that point for way in the run causing a more consistant motor output, and more heat, consistant torque throughout the run etc. I think that the tranny would really suffer from that-I would have no trouble running an nice Vintage 15 turn, but not a 9-

illshou
Approved Member

Post by illshou »

I tried mine with a traxxas velineon, made the belt jump even only on a 6 cell nicad pack.

Daddeo
Approved Member

Post by Daddeo »

I agree with what Reggie said. Besides, putting 1 1/2 horsepower through a vintage A&L gearbox is kind of crazy ;).

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Point taken guys and thanks for the info! But a modern Ultima SB5 gear-box will stand up for brushless motors and S2 Lipos?
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Daryl Lane
Approved Member

Post by Daryl Lane »

HUM.......??????

A&L Lethal Weapon is the best tranny ever made it will hold up to anything..... Not Really.

Ok -
Traction is a point to think about along with all the other points mentioned.

A properly adjusted power clutch should take up most of the 0 to full throttle starts. The roughest thing on the belt and gears is full throttle landings off of jumps where the tires end up spinning two to three times faster then the forward motion of the car. So that when landing they need to slow down by 50 to 60% at once and the motor tries to keep them going.

I do think that a 9T brushless would be too much, but at the last Worlds Chris went to way back when, I believe he ran 9T and 10T quads on 2000's with out any belt problems.

There is a belt adjustment we used in the LW's, you take scotch type and wrap it around the middle belt idler pulley in the tranny. You want to do complete revolutions - start and stop each application at the same point on the pulley and trim off any type even with the outside of the pulley. I have personally put as many as 4 complete layers on the center pulley to tighten the belt tension. When you put in into the tranny you want to install it so that the belts running over the pulley is rolling the type onto the pulley and not trying to pull it off. This is the hard part to describe, anyway thsi is how we use to get 200 plus runs out of the belts in our team's trannies, they were told to also check the belt tension and keep it from getting too loss.

Hope this helps, depending on the driver a LW could take a 9T brushless - but I would not advertise it could because of all the kids out there that drive like me with just an on/off switch in place of a speed control..... :D :roll: :shock:

If there is a FAQ section or tech section, someone who understands what I just wrote and can make it more understandable to others is free to rewrite and stick this tune up tip for the LW in it.
Old is more FUN

Team A&L know it all - really :)

LINK TO TALK A&L Off topic/Chit Chat http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=31149

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Thanks Daryl for your advice on how to increase the belt tension! I will come back to you when I start to assembly LW, and I can’t figure out what you meant! I don’t want to destroy my new LW! :wink:

But with all this warnings I have resaved made me think if it would be better to go with a smoother brushless motor? The resound for asking about all this is that I stopped racing -96, long before the brushless era! And that I recently purchase an Ezrun (version 2) kit including a 60A ESC and 9T brushless motor and a program card, all still in its box.
Another thing, can I buy new belts to the LW, and in that case where?
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

This is an interesting topic for me, too. As one of my Turbo Optimas is a converted belt-drive, and I've been considering EZRun motors to install in it, the ones I've been eyeing are a 10T, 3900 kV or 13.5T, 3300 kV motor to be used with 8.4V. I'm pretty sure a 9T, 4300 kV would be too much, maybe even the 10T...what are you guys' thoughts?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Daryl Lane
Approved Member

Post by Daryl Lane »

I have lots of spear parts and am looking into restocking on some of the parts that are getting low.
Old is more FUN

LINK TO TALK A&L Off topic/Chit Chat http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=31149

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I wonder if there's a way to make a dual patch slipper on the LW.
When asso-man was running his brushless stealth with the single patch, the centrifugal force was enough to blow the patch from between the slipper plates :shock:

Gozer

Post by Gozer »

If your looking for info or parts for the A&L trannies go to http://www.factoryworks.com/. As they now hold the rights to and still manufacture this tranny!

Daryl Lane
Approved Member

Post by Daryl Lane »

I do not have vary many things up on the factory works web site for A&L - I am thinking of doing a separate Web site for A&L and putting everything I still have and will be reproducing up on it. It just all about the time....I spend to much time playing with this..

Old is more FUN

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Gozer wrote:If your looking for info or parts for the A&L trannies go to http://www.factoryworks.com/. As they now hold the rights to and still manufacture this tranny!
Hey Gozer,
Daryl Lane; the guy posting in this thread, is also the L in A&L :mrgreen:

(Did you know gozer is dutch for 'dude'?)

Gozer

Post by Gozer »

hahaha! I should have reconized the name. I was thinking about buying a trans from him.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

If there is one thing I have learnt over the years its 'usable power'. What I mean is, anyone can bolt in a low turn brushed or brushless motor and couple it with some big modern day voltage. In reality though how much of all this can you really get down to the ground and effectively make for some strong lap times. Much of the time slower is actualy faster.

Being a 2WD gearbox I'd say that it will be going into a 2WD which also means you really need to rethink the motor choice. Rarely does a 9turn suit a 2WD for vintage buggies.

I run 13.5 and its still plenty fast.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980