Not my Thread anymore! Hijacked. Please delete ME!!!!

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: W5061 Universal Swing Shaft

Post by Coelacanth »

I just dug up some info that the total length of Optima and Rocky dogbones & axle shafts is the same: about 68mm.

This old Korean page lists a W-5062 for Optima, Rocky & Turbo Rocky, I don't see any of the weird Asian characters but I see "fireboy125", a well-known Kyosho seller on eBay. So, more evidence that Rocky & Optima specs for CVDs would be almost the same.

http://www.bidbuy.co.kr/auctions/usa/winbid_viewitem.asp?seq=3255333

EDIT: I think your chances of finding W5062 gold universals is next-to-none. Evidently they're very rare. Fortunately, either W5061's or LA245's should work fine, the latter would require a set of 12mm hexes with cross-pins to replace the stock hexes, as I showed previously.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

If the dogbone length is the same, then the axles must be different. I don't know why Kyosho would make 2 identical parts with different part numbers.

W5061 - Optima/Optima Mid/Ultima series
W5062 - Rocky/Raider

This is according to the Tower Hobbies catalog from 1989.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

RichieRich wrote:If the dogbone length is the same, then the axles must be different. I don't know why Kyosho would make 2 identical parts with different part numbers.

W5061 - Optima/Optima Mid/Ultima series
W5062 - Rocky/Raider

This is according to the Tower Hobbies catalog from 1989.
I know, but one unit is a gold-plated item. Why would they make a completely separate item and then plate it? From my research I believe the Rocky axle shafts are slightly longer. How much "slightly" is, I don't know--but the dogbones are the exact same lengths. I wonder if we'll ever resolve this, because I doubt anybody here owns a set of W5062's. If someone does, do us a favor and measure the total length, from the outer cross-pin to end of the axle threads. I'll post later this afternoon with my full measurement of the LA245's.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

I past-up a set of NIP W5062 for $45, wish I didn't. I'll give this thread a few days to see if anyone here know for sure, then I'll purchase a set and see if they work.
Burn more coal - UnderGroundMiners.com

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

I see a difference...

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

The axle shafts seem a bit longer with the 5062's, but without actual measurements, it's hard to tell exactly. The narrower part beyond the threads and before the axle widens, is a bit longer, to my eyes.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

The 5062 is the same length as the 5061, but gold plated, and a little beefier. I recently compared them side by side, and it is noticeably more robust. If you are looking for a slightly longer option, the 5063 looks identicle to the 5061, but is a few mm longer. -Jeff

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

Coelacanth wrote:The axle shafts seem a bit longer with the 5062's, but without actual measurements, it's hard to tell exactly. The narrower part beyond the threads and before the axle widens, is a bit longer, to my eyes.
That's exactly what I see.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

esaresky75 wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:The axle shafts seem a bit longer with the 5062's, but without actual measurements, it's hard to tell exactly. The narrower part beyond the threads and before the axle widens, is a bit longer, to my eyes.
That said, if it's as small a difference as it seems (2 or 3mm), it's probably nothing that a few shims couldn't fix. :) Of course, who among us is going to track down W5062's anyway? :P

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

esaresky75 wrote:
Now that it appears you've scored some W5062's, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take some measurements to update this thread. :)

What is the total length, from cross-pin to the end of the axle threads? What is the length of the bone, from cross-pin to pin-hole?

Thanks and congrats on scoring a set of those...those seem very rare!

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

Here are the dimensions of the ever elusive W5062. Dont mock my 5 minute sketch! I did not include the length of the tapered part of the axle.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Awesome, thank you for that. I'd still like to know the total length--from the left side of your diagram (the cross-pin) to the end of the 4mm axle. That's probably the most important spec. :)
Attachments
W5062.jpg

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

I'll measure tomorrow for sure but I would guess the taper is 4mm in length, so ~95.25mm

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

esaresky75 wrote:I past-up a set of NIP W5062 for $45, wish I didn't. I'll give this thread a few days to see if anyone here know for sure, then I'll purchase a set and see if they work.

BTW, I checked last week, there are still available but the hobby shop is a PIA. They will only do a direct deposit, no PayPal or Western Union. Have you ever done a International money transfer....it costs half of what the seller wants.

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

How about that for a educated guess. The actual measurement is 94.5mm from the end of the threads to the center of the pin. Now give me measurements of the W5061 and the CRD style.