Jose Rosas's euros 1986 winning Optima replica

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Jirka
Approved Member

Jose Rosas's euros 1986 winning Optima replica

Post by Jirka »

Like some of You might already know, I have started some time ago to build a replica from Jose Rosas euros 1986 winning Optima. The road so far have been a little long, but million thanks to some members here, You guys are just great.

Background for this project is quite simple. I got a Optima that was in great shape, runned only indoors in carpet so no scratches etc on bottom, only few broken parts to replace. OK, what I should do with it? I have seen numbers box art Optimas but as a RC race car driver my choice was to make this a replica of some real race winning Optima. I remembered a race coverage from 1986 euros from a finnish magazine called Pienoismalli and that there was some great pics from Optimas, especially from the winning car drove by a Frenchman Jose Rosas. My choice was clear, this will be it. As a kid in 1986 I have watched those pics so long that and many times and as a Christmas present, I got a Turbo Optima same year so my old HotShot went to retire.

So here are some pics of my Optima and some parts that I have managed to purchase so far:
1 Optima-F1200x1000.jpg
2 Top-F1200x1000.jpg
3 Bottom-F1200x1000.jpg
4 Drastic sticker from France-F1200x1000.jpg
This sticker was the key part to this project. Thanks to prp for finding this to me. Story behind this is long and all I can say thanks Pierre! I still need an another sticker like this. If I could not find one, I would have to reproduct one somewhere.
5 Body from Kuwait-F1200x1000.jpg
6 Universals from Germany-F1200x1000.jpg
7 Kyosho parts from friend-F1200x1000.jpg
8 Kyosho parts from Great Nortwest-F1200x1000.jpg
Jirka

Jirka
Approved Member

Re: Jose Rosas euros 1986 winning Optima replica

Post by Jirka »

Now it is time for some pics from that race, 1986 offroad euros:
Pic01 Joses Optima Qualifying Start Line.jpg
This pic is probably from qualifying, there is number 5 in the car. Also Hotshot wheels and Tamiya tires front and rear are in use, rear stabilizer is in use and there is some preload in rear springs. But here is something odd on the wheels and adapters, are those adapters from Hotshot? I could see three little red overhang in wheels. Could those really be adapters from Tamiya Hotshot or if not, what are those? And if they are from Hotshot, how are they assembled to Optima?
Pic03 Joses Optima on a way to victory.jpg
This pic is from Pienoismalli magazine and it is from one of the three A-finals, there is number 3 on a car since Jose qualified third. Rear tires and wheels are now Option House and there are no preload in rear springs. Also there is no more rear stabilizer.
Pic05 Joses Optima After Finals.jpg
This pic is from Pienoismalli magazine and it is taken after finals. There is now Option House front wheels and tires but probably only because of promotional reasons.
Pic20 Joses Optima front end.jpg
This pic is from RRC and it is taken straight after finals, Hotshot front wheels and Supershot front tires are installed. Aluminum screws here and there but not everywhere. I heard that French Drastic team got those aluminum screws in middle of the race and installed them around their cars during race.
Pic21 Joses Optima rear end.jpg
This pic is from RRC too. Some ultra long screws seems to installed on upper suspension arm out mounting. What are those motor connectors???
Pic22 Joses Optima.jpg
This pic is from some German magazine that I got from member V12 with lot of information about that race. V12 Was driver in that race and he did drive Optima there. Not a bad driver, finished 13th in that race and was the best driver from his country! What are those clear chain cover windows? Anyone familiar with those?

If some member have any more pics, stories or memories from that race they are more than welcome.

Jirka

uzzi
Approved Member

Re: Jose Rosas's euros 1986 winning Optima replica

Post by uzzi »

I may be wrong but RW Racing had some adaptors that fitted Supershot rims...could it be the ones he had used?

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

I know that CRP made those adapters, but they were black plastic. Then there where some other adapters in red (just a little darker than Hotshot red plastic was) anodized aluminum, but in those there are only two overhangs.

Jirka

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Jirka wrote:I know that CRP made those adapters, but they were black plastic. Then there where some other adapters in red (just a little darker than Hotshot red plastic was) anodized aluminum, but in those there are only two overhangs.
Here are the CRP ones on eBay:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/WHEEL-ADAPTER-Tamiya-Kyosho-Optima-Ultima-CRP-4114-/350487770836?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item519ab2f6d4
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Post by tim.sanderson »

Looks good, looking forward to seeing the progress on this.

I cranked up the saturation on one of the pics, and you can more easily see the red adapters behind the wheels.
adapters.jpg
adapters.jpg (7.84 KiB) Viewed 4386 times
adapters.jpg
adapters.jpg (7.84 KiB) Viewed 4386 times

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I have a set of those hotshpt wheel adapters: I think they were hot-tricks but they have been taken out of their package a decade ago. They are red anodised aluminium with the conical part just like the kyosho hexes. The part you see through the wheels is another material and colour, not sure what.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Great project Jirka. A lot of work and research involved. I hope you will have the result you´re expecting.

That time there were also some red wheel adapters made from red plastic maybe from Tamiya. These were very common among the Optima drivers and I used them also.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

uzzi wrote:I may be wrong but RW Racing had some adaptors that fitted Supershot rims...could it be the ones he had used?
That time this UK based company had the name Nodis, later it was RW Racing. They made gears and layshaft for the Optima and other cars from some brown stuff called Tufnol also very good pinions what are sold until today. I sold their stuff here some time after the Euros but I don´t know of any wheel adapters.

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

A little update:
IMG_0030_base chassis-F800x600.jpg
After cleaning all parts, the base chassis is done.
IMG_0032_stabilizer ball ends 1 fuzzy 1 cleaned-F800x600.jpg
Stabilizer balls were dark and fuzzy. The one on right is brushed with brass brush.
IMG_0069_adapters 1 white 1 red-F800x600.jpg
OK, this is not very professional. Since I have not found correct Tamiya adapters, I got some black CRP adapters. First I did drill three small holes to them so they looks like Hotshot adapters. Then I sprayed them first with matte white and after that bright red. Hopefully someday I will get the correct Tamiya adapters.
IMG_0089_adapters done-F800x600.jpg
Now both adapters are done. Painted red on both sides.
IMG_0072_ rear arms middle hole - no-F800x600.jpg
Now I am playing with rear arms. Since Jose installed his rear shocks to lower A-arm rather than to rear hub carrier I am trying to find correct mounting point here, Optima lower arms does not have these shock mounting holes. The car is assembled temporary with Turbo Optima/Mid rear A-Arms and the shocks are mounted to middle hole. It looks close but not quite right.
IMG_0074_ rear arms outer hole - yes-F800x600.jpg
Now it is better. The outermost hole is closer where the rear shocks should be.
IMG_0087_ rear arms done-F800x600.jpg
Turbo Optima/Mid arm is in the middle, it is a little beefier also. My modified Optima arms are on both side and ready to be assembed.

Jirka

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

I don't have all the needed front shock parts yet, they should be on their way. This is how the car looks now.
IMG_0092_26-11-top-side-F800x600.jpg
The chain windows are self made clear lexan parts on top and bottom. I have tried to find all correct (looking) screws and nuts too. Kyosho aluminum here and there and also light gray screws and two nuts to every to upper shock mounting.
IMG_0093_26-11-front-F800x600.jpg
IMG_0094_26-11-back-F800x600.jpg
IMG_0098_26-11-side-F800x600.jpg
IMG_0103_26-11-top-F800x600.jpg
IMG_0106_26-11-bottom-F800x600.jpg
The correct electronics seems to be the hardest parts to find. Vintage Sanwa servos SM-731 or SM-631 and receiver SRC 2298RS 41MHz seemed to be disappeared. The same is with CS Rocket FET speed controller. I even contacted CS factory, but they didn't have any left. The maybe correct motor, Le Mans 240S, should be easier to find. Still missing part is also one white Drastic sticker to the body.

Jirka

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I have been hunting Sanwa electronics too- not an easy find unless you are in.Japan for sure!

Nice progress!!

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Terve Jirka

Parma did make some red wheel adapters, this in the picture are for Kyosho to fit pan-car wheels
Parma Wheel Adapters.jpg
Parma Wheel Adapters.jpg (16.5 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
Parma Wheel Adapters.jpg
Parma Wheel Adapters.jpg (16.5 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Good job on painting the wheel adapters. Didn´t expect looking that good in the end.
You´re investing a lot of time in all that details.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

was it a 240S? I thought it was a Drastic 240 or 300... mmmh..
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.