Lazer ZX Slipper

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Lazer ZX Slipper

Post by Coelacanth »

isobarik wrote:Yeah it was an 3rd diff and it didnt work and you could use the optima mid pads so it was setup as a slipper ...

or what was comon in the days to remove the balls and use it as a slipepr ...
How did/does the Mid-style slipper & spur gear work? I'm working on a project and it has the Optima Mid slipper & gear. Any tips on how to adjust it? I'm fluent with the old Turbo Optima-style limiter gear setup, not the more modern slipper gear setups. Advice appreciated!
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

Coelacanth wrote:
isobarik wrote:Yeah it was an 3rd diff and it didnt work and you could use the optima mid pads so it was setup as a slipper ...

or what was comon in the days to remove the balls and use it as a slipepr ...
How did/does the Mid-style slipper & spur gear work? I'm working on a project and it has the Optima Mid slipper & gear. Any tips on how to adjust it? I'm fluent with the old Turbo Optima-style limiter gear setup, not the more modern slipper gear setups. Advice appreciated!
As I see this MID did not have slipper. It was/is more some kind of protection system to transmission, little similar than in Turbo Optima but made only differently.

Jirka

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

gomachv wrote:That pic that you just posted shows a different system, with an asbestos slip style pad from the optima mid. ..l.
I think what Jirka refered to is the text under <OPTION>

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

3rd diff worked well on low grip surfaces and had success with it. It was a nightmare to set up and the grease supplied was what made it work, which did puzzle me. If you used any other grease it would just slip.

If your looking for racing then after a lot of development i am hoping to get a finished prototype layshaft in a couple of weeks for the fitting of the new associated vts slipper. I think my measurements were correct and will update when its fitted. Im doing a big carpet event in April and hope to do well.

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Does anybody have a clear understanding as to why the center diff slipped so much? I can only guess that the diff "spring" (really just a set of wave washers) did not offer enough tension to effectively press the diff plates against the diff balls unless you really cranked on it. This is the only thing I can think of, since with a properly designed diff should you should be able to have some fine adjustment over how loose or tight it is, regardless of what kind of grease you are using.

I would be very curious to see what would happen if these washers were replaced with a more conventional diff spring, assuming one exists that would properly fit this diff assembly...

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

The centre diff doesn't slip at all if built properly with ball diff grease just like any other ball diff.

The downside to the ZX centre diff is that the design meant that when accelerating if the front wheels started spinning the centre diff would send all the power to the front wheels, killing acceleration. It meant while on high grip surfaces you got full drive when accelerating, and it helped cornering as the front and rear axles aren't fighting against each other through corners, but on low grip surfaces it acted like a front wheel drive rather than 4wd. Usually it meant you tightened the nut down to lock up the diff, or even ran it with the balls removed, to give you permanent fixed 4wd.

You could get the reverse one way rear diff hub that made sure you always had rear drive as going forwards it locked on to the layshaft, but it meant most of the braking is done with the front wheels.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

No doubt as to why Kyosho then released the ZXR with a proper (back then) slipper to replace this set up and never looked back.

LOL!
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Typpo
Approved Member

Post by Typpo »

Jirka wrote:There was also something on Lazer ZX manual
from manual.jpg
Jirka
How did this compare with the Schumacher TDS?

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

The TDS was a slipper clutch with adjustable front one way, so similar to the ZX-R slipper and one way and nothing like the ZX centre diff.

The ZX centre diff did have it's merits, if it had been released with the Mid when we were running lower capacity batteries and lower power motors we might be signing its praises now.

davsrc

Post by davsrc »

when I got my first ZX I added a one way in the rear drive hub and reversed it so that both belt gears would lock in the same direction, now they sell are have sold a LAW 4 rear drive hub (reverse one way) that lets you leave all the other dif parts on the shaft to keep everything spaced properly so that you take the balls out of the spur gear and run slipper pads

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

Or you could by the layshaft that my friend is making and fit a B4 or VTS slipper. Also have another new person making gearboxes and am currently redesigning the rear gearbox with a secrion for bearings so your belt is tensioned to the correct tension so the belt will not snap under immense accelaration. That way with layshaft and gearbox it will be smoother and means your no longer limited to slow winds of brushless motors.
Designer of the Lazer ZX / ZXR Tub Chassis (now available again from Fibre-Lyte)

Sponser links below
http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/
http://www.kamtec.co.uk/

Typpo
Approved Member

Post by Typpo »

terry.sc wrote:The TDS was a slipper clutch with adjustable front one way, so similar to the ZX-R slipper and one way and nothing like the ZX centre diff.

The ZX centre diff did have it's merits, if it had been released with the Mid when we were running lower capacity batteries and lower power motors we might be signing its praises now.
The TDS has a slipper clutch that adjusts the amount of slip for the rear wheels. Can you explain the difference further?

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

The TDS is a normal single pad slipper that was connected to the layshaft, just like any other single pad slipper. The difference is that it used a spring loaded clicker for the front one way, just like the XX4 clicker, so you could adjust how much the front one way would slip under braking.

A slipper was an upgrade for most CATs at the time, it wasn't a standard part and most buggies in the range had a fixed spur gear as standard.

Typpo
Approved Member

Post by Typpo »

terry.sc wrote:The TDS is a normal single pad slipper that was connected to the layshaft, just like any other single pad slipper. The difference is that it used a spring loaded clicker for the front one way, just like the XX4 clicker, so you could adjust how much the front one way would slip under braking.

A slipper was an upgrade for most CATs at the time, it wasn't a standard part and most buggies in the range had a fixed spur gear as standard.
Thank you for the response. I am not sure we are discussing the same parts since there were different layshafts, slippers and pulleys available. I have sent a PM rather than derail this thread.

cyber10b

Post by cyber10b »

urban hype wrote:Hello All, Here is a picture of a slipper form a recent purchase. This slipper is different that all of the others that I have seen. It uses a set of balls instead of pads. Does any one know anything about this setup? Where did it come from? I don't ever remember seeing this here in North America. I have seen or owned the Japanese, Canadian and U.S. versions of the Lazer ZX over the years. This is the first time I have seen a Kyosho slipper like this one.
the balls inside spur gear is used for thrust ball. so there are not for center diff. ball is apt to be harmed esilly so later double disk slipper systerm came out.