Hot-trick Hotshot (RED clone)

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

tiger1
Approved Member

Hot-trick Hotshot (RED clone)

Post by tiger1 »

This is my hop-up hotshot. Months ago minimini and I spotted this rc-lohas hotshot modification kit and we were drooling, so we had a deal and done a joint project. He and I both got a hotshot + the conversion kit. http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14584

We emailed many ideas and spent a few dollars on long distance call. We came to the conclusion that we can do more to the conversion, especially the rear suspension department.

The rc-lohas (suzuki clone) body is amazing, excellent quality lexan, detail is not as good as tamiya (but who is??) but the fit, quality, clarity are first class.

The main difference between minimini and mine is that he likes those fancy airbrush bodies and I simply cannot afford those and have to settle for something low tech... :lol: I know I am being cheap :cry:

With a ton of items:

(1) after market one-way, slipper+universal mid-shaft, all the way from Japan, minimini got it for me from there, we have no idea exactly who is the manufacturer, most likely from a small shop call Phoenix (which I think has been making a few semi-functional 'hop-ups' :lol: )
(2) rc-lohas red-hotshot (hot-trick clone) chassis and suspension http://www.rc-lohas.com
(3) DF03 CVA dampers, thanks to minimini (in my view, CVA shocks is the easiest to build and marginally worse than those 501 type aeration shocks in performance) :lol:
(4) some hand made items as described in the posting below
(5) m05 rear hub from 3racing, 2 degree toe in, minimini de-anodised them for me (same treatment also for the wheel hex).
(6) DF02 front CVD, I use dogbones at the back, me being cheap :wink:
(7) TA01 aluminium front hub, too bad, rc-lohas only marketed their aluminium front hubs months later... :?
(8) rc10 worlds car steering bellcrank (why? I simply have a set and no use for it otherwise :mrgreen: )
(9) custom rear graphite camber mount
(10) clear rear gearbox for direct visual check of gear mesh
(11) mid shaft support to reduce sway and stay true
(12) reduce inner rim of the front to make the car look wider
(13) enhanced mounting of the front shock tower
(14) Lunsford turnbuckles at the front (thanks to minimini)
(15) DF?? front and rear tires + wheels
(16) polished front original hotshot diff and used some super sticky 'MIP diff lube' that come with the Legend 410 4WD kit (see the link below)
(17) modified paranoia rear ball diff http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14584&start=30
(18) rc-lohas front steering ball joints were used in the rear as camber links
(19) 0.5mm spacer at the hex
(20) rubber sealed ball bearings

All metal to metal screw joint are blue loctite to avoid loosening :)
Attachments
P1030518.JPG
chassis from far, note a small gap between the wheel hex and the hub. A 0.5mm brass spacer (yokomo) was placed between the hex and the hub bearing. Why? to reduce the play down to ZERO and also gain that fraction of mm of width :)
P1030518.JPG (102.21 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
chassis from far, note a small gap between the wheel hex and the hub. A 0.5mm brass spacer (yokomo) was placed between the hex and the hub bearing. Why? to reduce the play down to ZERO and also gain that fraction of mm of width :)
P1030518.JPG (102.21 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
P1030519.JPG
the gap between the front chassis/gearbox is exactly 3mm but the conversion kit did not mention anything about that, a 3mm or carbon fiber fits in just perfect.
P1030519.JPG (117.59 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
the gap between the front chassis/gearbox is exactly 3mm but the conversion kit did not mention anything about that, a 3mm or carbon fiber fits in just perfect.
P1030519.JPG (117.59 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
P1030521.JPG
The 3racing M05 aluminium hub is shorter anteroposteriorly, which makes it perfect to have some adjustment in wheel base by putting in spacers. Depending on the wheel size, wheelbase could be adjusted up to 6mm.
P1030521.JPG (71.48 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
The 3racing M05 aluminium hub is shorter anteroposteriorly, which makes it perfect to have some adjustment in wheel base by putting in spacers. Depending on the wheel size, wheelbase could be adjusted up to 6mm.
P1030521.JPG (71.48 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
P1040162.JPG
The body is from rc-lohas, very excellent quality material, I have them mounted on the side by drill/tape a 4-40 aluminium screw on the side plate and drill a small hole on the screw for body clip.
P1040162.JPG (77.28 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
The body is from rc-lohas, very excellent quality material, I have them mounted on the side by drill/tape a 4-40 aluminium screw on the side plate and drill a small hole on the screw for body clip.
P1040162.JPG (77.28 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
I did the same for the front mounting point, this eliminates the needs for any velcro tape, which I dislike and get the body too 'high' profile. Now the body has less than 1mm clearance with the top of the front gearbox, very close.
I did the same for the front mounting point, this eliminates the needs for any velcro tape, which I dislike and get the body too 'high' profile. Now the body has less than 1mm clearance with the top of the front gearbox, very close.
P1040164.JPG
The original shock mount position allows very little suspension travel, in this case, I have moved the mounting position to the highest possible point on the front tower. This is nice now. I also narrowed down the front plate by approximately 8mm bilaterally,
P1040164.JPG (119.2 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
The original shock mount position allows very little suspension travel, in this case, I have moved the mounting position to the highest possible point on the front tower. This is nice now. I also narrowed down the front plate by approximately 8mm bilaterally,
P1040164.JPG (119.2 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
P1040165.JPG
Rear suspension mounting point has the same issue with suspension travel, so I made a custom mounting plate out of graphite and moved the mountin point superiorly and medially. Now, the whole suspension travel is taken advantage of :)
P1040165.JPG (124.92 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
Rear suspension mounting point has the same issue with suspension travel, so I made a custom mounting plate out of graphite and moved the mountin point superiorly and medially. Now, the whole suspension travel is taken advantage of :)
P1040165.JPG (124.92 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
P1030523.JPG
This is the car right before body trimming. DF02 CVD in the front give a solid feel (vs the original dogbones...) The chunky silver piece on the mid-shaft is the slipper/one-way unit, very well made, and the slipper is even adjustable, which allows it to be full time 4wd with front oneway or allows a certain 'give' between the front and rear gearbox. Very sweet but very expensive :) RC-lohas conversion kit has a rear sway bar, I found it not for me, I did not put it on.
P1030523.JPG (120.13 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
This is the car right before body trimming. DF02 CVD in the front give a solid feel (vs the original dogbones...) The chunky silver piece on the mid-shaft is the slipper/one-way unit, very well made, and the slipper is even adjustable, which allows it to be full time 4wd with front oneway or allows a certain 'give' between the front and rear gearbox. Very sweet but very expensive :) RC-lohas conversion kit has a rear sway bar, I found it not for me, I did not put it on.
P1030523.JPG (120.13 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
P1040167.JPG
Body trimmed and slab on, looks ok and lowest possible without sacrificing the front part on the front gearbox. Note the front tires are noticeably narrower than the rear because I removed the inner groove of the front rim, this way the front looks wider and the tire make less contact with the ground, which is important when the camber is not adjustable in the front. I am semi-happy with this.
P1040167.JPG (121.8 KiB) Viewed 4007 times
Body trimmed and slab on, looks ok and lowest possible without sacrificing the front part on the front gearbox. Note the front tires are noticeably narrower than the rear because I removed the inner groove of the front rim, this way the front looks wider and the tire make less contact with the ground, which is important when the camber is not adjustable in the front. I am semi-happy with this.
P1040167.JPG (121.8 KiB) Viewed 4007 times
P1040251.JPG
Body was painted with low-tech tamiya spray cans. My favorite red/black/white scheme. The width of the car is approximately 240mm in the front and 245mm at the rear and wheelbase 266mm, which is very similar to some of the DF series buggies (Note: Wheelbase of the original Hotshot is 262mm and the DF03 is 272mm. The widths are 235mm for the original Hotshot and 250mm for the DF-03 (figures from tamiya and tamiyaclub). :) for now, no wing at the back...
P1040251.JPG (142.85 KiB) Viewed 4007 times
Body was painted with low-tech tamiya spray cans. My favorite red/black/white scheme. The width of the car is approximately 240mm in the front and 245mm at the rear and wheelbase 266mm, which is very similar to some of the DF series buggies (Note: Wheelbase of the original Hotshot is 262mm and the DF03 is 272mm. The widths are 235mm for the original Hotshot and 250mm for the DF-03 (figures from tamiya and tamiyaclub). :) for now, no wing at the back...
P1040251.JPG (142.85 KiB) Viewed 4007 times

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Re: Hop-up Hotshot (RED)

Post by Mad Racer »

Nice Job.

Sorry but to me their is very little left of a Hot Shot. To me a good modded Hot Shot has the HP kit and improved steering.
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

Thanks for the kind words. :mrgreen:

Don't be sorry, the suspension is certainly better than the HP kit and the steering is improved as well :lol:

More photos

More about my SRB :lol: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=7662

More about my RCL incident Pro :lol: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=7660
Attachments
P1040260.JPG
This is my 'hotshot' side by side with my fully modified 'SRB', also not much of SRB but the same low tech paint scheme
P1040260.JPG (131.76 KiB) Viewed 3991 times
This is my 'hotshot' side by side with my fully modified 'SRB', also not much of SRB but the same low tech paint scheme
P1040260.JPG (131.76 KiB) Viewed 3991 times
P1040259.JPG
SRB, RCL incident pro and the 'hotshot' :)
P1040259.JPG (133.83 KiB) Viewed 3991 times
P1040259.JPG (133.83 KiB) Viewed 3991 times
P1040256.JPG
Another photo of the car, this time with flash off, the color is not showing up very well...
P1040256.JPG (131.76 KiB) Viewed 3991 times
Another photo of the car, this time with flash off, the color is not showing up very well...
P1040256.JPG (131.76 KiB) Viewed 3991 times

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

Gearbox modification
Attachments
DSC_0040.JPG
a clear piece is vacumm-formed....
DSC_0040.JPG (108.01 KiB) Viewed 3979 times
DSC_0040.JPG (108.01 KiB) Viewed 3979 times
I made a plaster duplicate of the rear gearbox left half using RTV silicone. Then vacumm-formed the clear plastic piece.
I made a plaster duplicate of the rear gearbox left half using RTV silicone. Then vacumm-formed the clear plastic piece.
The original rc-lohas/hottrick front tower was mounted by only ONE 2.6mm short screw in the middle (the silver one), which is ridiculous!! I used a pair of servo mount, drilled the suspension arm mount from top and secured the front tower. This is rock solid now!! Note the blue aluminium screw for mounting the front of the body :)
The original rc-lohas/hottrick front tower was mounted by only ONE 2.6mm short screw in the middle (the silver one), which is ridiculous!! I used a pair of servo mount, drilled the suspension arm mount from top and secured the front tower. This is rock solid now!! Note the blue aluminium screw for mounting the front of the body :)
this is the end result of the rear gearbox modification, now the gear mesh can be seen, rather than using the tamiya motor spacers. The clear piece was bonded onto the gearbox using 5min clear epoxy. I did the same for minimini's hotshot too :)
this is the end result of the rear gearbox modification, now the gear mesh can be seen, rather than using the tamiya motor spacers. The clear piece was bonded onto the gearbox using 5min clear epoxy. I did the same for minimini's hotshot too :)

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Mad Racer wrote:Nice Job.

Sorry but to me their is very little left of a Hot Shot. To me a good modded Hot Shot has the HP kit and improved steering.
Heh, I agree. That's more of a Not Shot. :)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

Hey, this is hotshot with mod to the max. Probably maxed out the car's potential to the best it can be.

Some contemporary stuffs + some oldies. Had so much fun working on this during the last few months! :mrgreen:

crusaderlyf
Approved Member

Post by crusaderlyf »

very good looking car! I think more better looking If change to 1.9" or 2.0" rims and tires

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

crusaderlyf wrote:very good looking car! I think more better looking If change to 1.9" or 2.0" rims and tires
Thanks for the kind comment. Just that I love bigger wheels :D

sneako43
Approved Member

Post by sneako43 »

Whatever is was or whatever it is now, it's your's and it's cool.
SC10 -- FT B4.1

BloodClod
Approved Member

Re: Hot-trick Hotshot (RED clone)

Post by BloodClod »

Very cool car. I especially like the clear gearbox cover you did!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

That's a funky body, looks kind of like a cross between a Turbo Optima and a Boomerang. Pretty!
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod »

Coelacanth wrote:That's a funky body, looks kind of like a cross between a Turbo Optima and a Boomerang. Pretty!
definitely reminds me of the Turbo Optima body.

I had a look at this car in person and it was certainly an interesting build - the Hot Trick chassis really captures the spirit of the 80s with it's screw-down hingepin retainer design. :)

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

Found some Bigwig front arms, they look very good to me and I think they are better designed than the hotshot arms :mrgreen:
Attachments
P1050101.JPG
The one on the tree is the bigwig arm. Bottom view of the upper arms.
P1050101.JPG (147.61 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
P1050101.JPG (147.61 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
P1050102.JPG
upper arms also look more solid. Note that the front mounting eyelet is thicker in the front to back direction, simply stonger :)
P1050102.JPG (141.23 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
upper arms also look more solid. Note that the front mounting eyelet is thicker in the front to back direction, simply stonger :)
P1050102.JPG (141.23 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
P1050103.JPG
Hot-trick or rc-lohas hotshot conversion requires a strange cantilevered shock mounting position. I like the bigwig design better.
P1050103.JPG (138.8 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
Hot-trick or rc-lohas hotshot conversion requires a strange cantilevered shock mounting position. I like the bigwig design better.
P1050103.JPG (138.8 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
P1050104.JPG
The one on the tree is the Bigwig, exactly the same measurement even though the bigwig somehow 'looks' longer.
P1050104.JPG (146.39 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
The one on the tree is the Bigwig, exactly the same measurement even though the bigwig somehow 'looks' longer.
P1050104.JPG (146.39 KiB) Viewed 3464 times

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

New arms placed. The bigwigs arms has no mounting holes for anti-sway bar, which is just nice. I like the idea of no sway bar, too complicated, with no tangible benefits. :mrgreen:
Attachments
P1050100.JPG
P1050100.JPG (144.53 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
P1050100.JPG
P1050100.JPG (144.53 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
P1050099.JPG
P1050099.JPG (121.18 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
P1050099.JPG
P1050099.JPG (121.18 KiB) Viewed 3465 times

tiger1
Approved Member