Someone foud compatible CVD (front) for the proRadiant?

The place for all things AYK.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Someone foud compatible CVD (front) for the proRadiant?

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

Hey

I'm starting to fiddle with my pro after years of just collecting dust. It's got Kyosho Ultima universals in the rear. Works fine with the Ultima hubs. In the front it has some modified universals. Very similar to the Ultima ones but I'd say 2mm shorter and the axle has been machined for the one way bearing. Problem is they're bent....

I'm wondering if someone found a modern replacement... I'd love to have this thing going again...

Thanks

JHarris
Approved Member

Re: Someone foud compatible CVD (front) for the proRadiant?

Post by JHarris »

As I get time I have been starting to play with my Pro Radiant a little bit. I will eventually find something that works. I have a feeling that it will require some cutting/welding to shorten the bones, but only time will tell. Once I get the carbon parts cut for my experimental car(s) it will become a priority for me. If you have a connection at a machine shop that can cut carbon from CAD files that would expedite things for me :) Until then I will just be focusing on getting my standard setup car on the track.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yeah, i haven't begun looking at this in too much detail yet, but one of two possibilities I have in mind, based on some yokomo stuff i was doing....

I think it's going to come down to either some particular kyosho cvd or universal that will need to be modified for length,plus have the axle machined for the one way bearing or; a set of CVD's lengthened and remachined from a TC5. I beleive either setup will fit in the drive cups on the differentials. the tc5 cvds are nice and compact, and are metric.

i think a steel or brass sleeve that is press fit into place, then soldered or brazed should be plenty strong for changing the bone length. Don't beleive descriptions for TC5 bones either, they are steel, not aluminum, unless they are not black in color.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

What is the length you're looking for? You never know what could be out there as Kyosho seems to make 4 different lengths for the current Ultima/Lazer cars.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

i seem to remember the bone length as something around 69mm or so. you'd have to measure the complete axle assembly to take into account the cvd or universal length as well however.

do you know what the kyosho lengths are? I've been trying to figure that out but that info isn't readily available.

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

jwscab wrote:i seem to remember the bone length as something around 69mm or so. you'd have to measure the complete axle assembly to take into account the cvd or universal length as well however.

do you know what the kyosho lengths are? I've been trying to figure that out but that info isn't readily available.

I agree with you it's not easy to figure out just form tech specs on the internet. One has to try different cvds until one works.

I know rear ultima universals fit well in the back but thay are too short in the front.

I remember an old post here of someone using the Tamiya Avante universals (or cvds?) on the ProRadiant and they were apparently fitting perfectly. Now they are also rare. There must be another Tamiya kit that use the same parts or the same lenght cvds though :?:

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Have you tried GV2 cvds? They are longer than the Ultima cvds and cost much less than the Kyosho parts. I'll take a measurement tonight.

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

Old ultima universals W5061 are equal to the new 62,5 if you do get them 62,5 from kyosho you should remember that the wheel axle are a bit longer then dito on the old axle if you need the shorter axle you should order the La232.01 they are with the 62,5 bone a straight fit on an old ultima. other kyosho lenght are

Anu questions pm me
good luck mvh isobarik

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

isobarik wrote:Old ultima universals W5061 are equal to the new 62,5 if you do get them 62,5 from kyosho you should remember that the wheel axle are a bit longer then dito on the old axle if you need the shorter axle you should order the La232.01 they are with the 62,5 bone a straight fit on an old ultima. other kyosho lenght are

Anu questions pm me
good luck mvh isobarik
Not sure I followed... Are you saying that the new universals have the same lenght but the axle is actualy longer? That would be prefect for the front Radiant. The lenght you listed there are for different Kyosho universals from different kits right? I suppose they are total lenght, do they have the same axle lenght (I mean the actual axle that goes through the wheel)?

Thanks for the help...

Would it be possible to post a picture?

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

yes the lenght on the bones uj´s are from pin to pinhole

and the axle that sits in the wheel hubs are also different the axles comes

stock
2 groves
3 groves

Stock

2 groves

3 groves

mvh Isobarik

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

So if I understand well the bones on these universals have the same lenght but the axles are longer if that have more grooves?

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

AYKBOBCAT wrote:So if I understand well the bones on these universals have the same lenght but the axles are longer if that have more grooves?

The stock axles are just stock axles

second picture is LA245
62,5 bones but longer axles i think they are 1 mm longer then stock

third picture is the La258 60.5bones with 3 grove axles i think they are 2mm longer

you can have any bone that you want and combine them with the different axles to youre likings.

i have the Um510 wich is same as LA245 can measure it later but i think i am rather correct regarding the lenght on the axles.

So if you want the old style ujs lenght UM/optima then you have to take the 62,5 bone and combine it with the stock axle...i have done that and using them in the rear of my lazer instead of w5061 um/ot uj´s.

mvh Isobarik

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

These are what i have UM510 62,5 bone with 3 groves axles makes them 2mm longer then stock

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

Ok to the risk of looking stupid I'm asking this again to make sure I get it properly before sepending 50$ on a set

I understand that the UM510 has 62.5mm bones from pin to pin. Then there is the axle that is 2mm longer than stock with the 3 grooves. but how long is that axle? I want to find out if it fits in the front hub of the proradiant.

Thanks for the help ans sorry for insisting :mrgreen:

Oh and I forgot to ask... What part of the eaxle is longer? I mean, is the cross pit at the same position and there is more thread or is the thread the same lenght and the pin is farther away from the cvd articulation?

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

AYKBOBCAT wrote:Ok to the risk of looking stupid I'm asking this again to make sure I get it properly before sepending 50$ on a set

I understand that the UM510 has 62.5mm bones from pin to pin. Then there is the axle that is 2mm longer than stock with the 3 grooves. but how long is that axle? I want to find out if it fits in the front hub of the proradiant.

Thanks for the help ans sorry for insisting :mrgreen:

Oh and I forgot to ask... What part of the eaxle is longer? I mean, is the cross pit at the same position and there is more thread or is the thread the same lenght and the pin is farther away from the cvd articulation?

Look at it like this 62,5 bone with stock axles same lenght as old ultima (W5061) and the 3 groves ar 2 mm longer. Lenght on the axle is as you guessed the thread is same but the distance from the drive pin to the end where the bearing comes to an halt is longer.

The distance on my Um510 ( 3 grove axle ) is 15 from the pin to the end where the bearing stops. from the pin to the other way is 2 mm where there is no more shiny axle and then basicly the thread begins.

mvh Isobarik