Moody "drive pack" gas conversion

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV

Moody "drive pack" gas conversion

Post by GoMachV »

Roy Moody's RC10 gas conversion kit. Thanks to Marlo I now have a couple of em. I have a minty chassis ready to be drilled on but for this one I used a used up chassis so I know where everything will go. I don't want to be Mis-drilling on the new chassis.

Starting with the clutch, very odd design. The shoes are barrel shaped and do not drag like a typical design. Never mind that its on the wrong end of the engine. CZ-2 rear start shaft is turned down to become the shaft that the clutch rides on. This is on a CZ-R with the CZ-2 crank and rear start assembly. This design seems to have been for balance and keeping the engine centered side to side

More to come as the build progresses
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

j-sou
Approved Member

Re: Moody "drive pack" gas conversion

Post by j-sou »

Really cool! Can't wait to see it complete! :mrgreen:
-I never said I knew what I was doing, I just said I was gonna do it!"

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

Are those the two that were on eBay recently in the lot of stuff in the team car box? I wanted to get one and sell the rest of the lot but it skyrocketed well above my price range.

That's an interesting muffler, is that part of the conversion? It looks like it is using an O.S. airplane style muffler on the box.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Yes, same kits. They flew to Canada for a few weeks and then back to the USA :mrgreen:

The muffler is odd, points directly out the bottom of the chassis. Not sure what the theory is as a airplane muffler would have been fine, but you can loosen the clamp and clock the outlet making me think its a back pressure adjustment. Hard to say, I will know more when and if I get my hands on the instructions. I found someone that has them and I'm working on getting copies.

Definitely a odd bird!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

If I remember correctly, they are helicopter motors-

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I think I recall what you are referring to (but cant place the application....) but this kit is actually a production OS CZ .12 based kit with a machined down starter shaft. It had all the pieces with it in the box :mrgreen:
Factory Works website

saga101
Approved Member

Post by saga101 »

cool kit :shock:
I AM CARL LIN

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

Is there room for a battery?

This is all very interesting!

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

a01butal wrote:Is there room for a battery?
Behind the bulkhead where the motor would originally be is where they mount. Just like a first gen GT

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Yes, I would go as far as to say that associated copied battery placement and throttle servo placement, and ignored the rest :mrgreen:
Factory Works website

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

gomachv wrote:Yes, I would go as far as to say that associated copied battery placement and throttle servo placement, and ignored the rest :mrgreen:
Do you know the release date on these kits. IDE say the Dudgeon conversion also had a big influence on Associated. Besides it being a double decker chassis the GT is almost identical to it as far as component layout goes.

Also Kunio in another thread said he sent off his conversions all over including Cliff Lett. Even Kinwald raced one before the GT

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

romulus22 wrote:
gomachv wrote:Yes, I would go as far as to say that associated copied battery placement and throttle servo placement, and ignored the rest :mrgreen:
Do you know the release date on these kits. IDE say the Dudgeon conversion also had a big influence on Associated. Besides it being a double decker chassis the GT is almost identical to it as far as component layout goes.

Also Kunio in another thread said he sent off his conversions all over including Cliff Lett. Even Kinwald raced one before the GT
The Moody stuff was also based solely to be raced on Dirt Ovals- No where near as robust as the Kunio kit-
Jeff, do you have the right tires and wheels?

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I have the early prolines you showed in the other thread and also some Imex "California" that are early 10t so I think I'm covered there. I'm loving those tires shown in the moody paperwork...are they Imex? Or do they look familiar? I may just use the foams i already have. I can't see going off road on this conversion either, there are a couple braces but the belt is very fine pitch and as Reggie stated- not a very robust kit.

I am not positive on a release, i was thinking 91ish but there is a "1092" at the bottom of a page I found. This model has a few differences between the others I have seen like the exhaust and panda fuel tank so I don't know if that really is a date but it makes sense.
Factory Works website

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

The kit pics would be Advance Engineering 5 slot 1/8 wheels, with MRP Grand Prix tires. (or Look around here for the Moody sprint or Kendrick Sprints and you'll see them. Proline Striker II tires were very popular oval tires too, or I can show (or do) you how to groove foams to look just like the MRP tires (but the Coopers rims are way too late)

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Strikers may be the way to go, I bet the mrp tires are near impossible to find as I haven't had any pop up in any eBay searches for mrp in the last year. So....would it be obvious if I used duratrash tires instead of striker II's?

I figured those foams were too new but good to know. Drat!

I scored a parts truck to finish this conversion on. I needed white parts and found a nice little narrow front tire truck cheap. Hopefully it cleans up well. That keeps me from needing to use the upgrades from the other thread too, although the tecnacrafts may go on it. Still undecided on the A&L towers, they just look too new to me. Would Duratrax towers be closer to the right era? I think I know where there may be a set
Factory Works website