project junkyard dog-AKA- it's a faux faux world(s)-UPDATES!

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jwscab

project junkyard dog-AKA- it's a faux faux world(s)-UPDATES!

Post by jwscab »

So this is my latest hodge podge of parts I've been picking up in bits and peices.....it's a collection of white parts, mixed with a little handmade 'worlds' chassis complements of ebay, with a sprinkling of new parts for good measure. She's a runner, though i'm gonna stick some film on the bottom to keep it from getting scratched up any more, and probably just do a little around the yard running.

the pieces are all used, and have their share of battle scars. The shocks will be originals de-anodized and lightly brushed, with white parts.

had a few members help out in a few key areas, so thanks alot, i won't mention by names.

I'm going to continue the faux 'worlds' theme by adding my own version of 'worlds' shock towers, although i might stick with the yellow/green g10 'glass instead of carbon, so that the only items that are black are the nose, chassis, and motor plate, with everything else a light color. otherwise, I'll keep the carbon front tower, and make a carbon faux worlds rear one. I can't decide, I'm going to make both and see how they look. I'm probably going to make my own bellcranks out of some raw nylon i have to mimic a set of losi bellcranks i have on another car.

will be using rpm white ball cups, making polished aluminum nose tubes, and carbon fiber trans brace. regular old stainless steel all-thread links unless i bite the bullet and go with the associated titanium turnbuckles to add a slight bit of color.

I have yellow B2 wheels front and rear to go on, again, used, but will clean up nicely.....need to decide on a body, and what kind of running gear to set her up with......enjoy!
Attachments
junkyard dog1.JPG
junkyard dog2.JPG
junkyard dog3.JPG
junkyard dog4.JPG
junkyard dog5.JPG
junkyard dog6.JPG

fastang
Approved Member

Re: project junkyard dog-aka it's a faux faux world(s)

Post by fastang »

Looks good! Who did the milling? You draw up that shock tower?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I drew up the shock tower, I worked off of a couple of different sources, it's not exactly like a worlds tower, but I just think they look cooler than the standard tower. I have the means to make anything I want, much easier than spending $$$ for a real one, hahhah :lol: It's not a real cad program so radii are hard to do by hand, which is why you see all the circles and unfinished edges. I use the program(visio) because I have it, and it always prints out for me at exactly 1:1, so I print it, cut it out, and make a template.

Someone who owned the chassis before me milled it. did a nice job, I'd call it an 8.5 out of 10 as far as accuracy and workmanship...perfect for this project. Got it for a really good price on ebay, it and the nose were bent up a little, took about 20 mins fixing it. it still has a slight bow through the middle, but i'm not worried about it.

with all these worlds cars running around on these boards, I just think the color combo is neat (white/black w/ yellow wheels), so I'm doing it up that way. Since the chassis was milled and natural aluminum, I'm cleaning up the shocks to match. Think it will complement it well.

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Looks like it is going to be a cool runner, I love custom parts and making my own. Are you doing the front as well? Keep the pics coming and maybe some of the process of making the parts. :D

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

i'm kinda torn what i want to do. I have 2 options, well, i guess 3.

I'm going to make a rear tower following that template, as a template/drill guide out of standard yellow/green g10. I already have a team car front shock tower that would match the color more or less, so I have 2 light colored towers that way.

After making the glass template/drill guide one, I'm going to transfer that to some carbon fiber, I think. So i can match the existing composite one, or build a custom 'worlds' style for the shorter shocks out of carbon.

yeah, I was collecting these parts and leaning heavily towards an aluminum tube chassis, but that takes alot of time and effort which is in short supply these days for me, so I saw this milled chassis on ebay, and tried to get it. I saw a sweet blue anodized one around the same time (not factory anodized, but great job), but I won this one before the blue auction ended.

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

I was planning to get the blue tub didn’t. Your 10 is looking good I would suggest making both front and rear towers from the same material. You have a custom tub might as well make more custom parts for it.
Did you see some of my parts? Let me know if you need any help.

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

I would suggest making both front and rear towers from the same material. You have a custom tub might as well make more custom parts for it.
i agree, go with front & rear custom carbon 8)
bulkhead looks like a good match to the rest of the parts :wink:

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

What a great project! Better than a junkyard 'dog' surely??

I think the thing I love about the RC10 & what makes them (along with other older buggies) Is the fact that you can make your own parts, & customise them to your own tastes... imagine trying to make a custom rear shock mount for a B4 or Losi XXX :roll:

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

m_vice, I have seen you handiwork, VERY nice!

yep, my plan would be to have either both fiberglass, or both carbon, I'm going to make both (as needed to make a set) and try em out to see how I like them.

I agree, that is one cool thing about the rc10, the parts were made with some thought behind them, but also made from simply shaped materials, so the common guy could whittle his own if he really wanted to. Once you start making oddly shaped molded parts, the tools to replicate get complex.

thanks for all the replies guys, I'll be updating this as I get some parts finished and mounted.

the junkyard dog reference is to the fact that it's pretty beat up parts, nothing NIP, with their fair share of battle scars, but you still don't wanna face 'em down without the collar in a dark alley :mrgreen:

rc10resto, that bulkhead does look good on there! thanks again!

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Some pro racers in '93-'94 did this to their chassis before the World Car chassis came out. I like the chassis jwscab.
Attachments
MH-RCCA_1994_August-60.jpg
CL-MP--RCCA_1994_August-60.jpg

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

cool, I did not know that!

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Not much work on this so far this week, although I did make up a couple sets of nose brace tubes for this car, and another one.

has any one seen that the top of the stealth trans and the top of the bulkhead are at different heights? I started mocking up a trans brace to cut out, but i notice that there is a heck of a misalignment. was the height of the bulkhead changed with the intro of the stealth? it plain doesn't look right, but everything i see in the manuals just bolts that brace straight down.

I didn't think so, because I have a 6 gear with a nylon brace, and it looks misaligned as well, but the nylon has some give, so it flexes down.

can anyone comment on that? I'm thinking I'm going to build a small spacer plate to go under the bulkhead side of the brace to level it out, so it doesn't stress the trans or chassis.

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

Huh, thats weird. They didn't change the BH when they went to the stealth aside from some different ball stud holes. From the pic it doesn't look like the BH was hacked at all. I don't know whats going on there but it isn't right.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yeah, i'l take a pic to show what i'm seeing. it's got to be ALL bulkhead and trans' scenarios from what i can see though, if they didn't change the bulkhead....it's probably off like .050-.075" at least. I know my chassis is warped a little, but it would have to be one heck of a bend to see that much difference, and I know it's not.

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

I don’t think they change the BH for the stealth but I do remember adding some spacers to the BH so I didn’t have to force the plate down. It might be a fabrication error, or the chassis is a bit bent on the rear section. I remember some misalignments on these cars; like adding spacers to the rear screws that attached the motor plate to the chassis.

I would probable add the spacers and keep on going. :)