New Here

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Greenie
Approved Member

New Here

Post by Greenie »

Just found these forums and thought I'd join in. I've been into RCing for over 20yrs. Did some racing but prefer to just play around. Have had all sorts of buggies/ cars/ trucks etc... I still have my original RC10 gold tub (circa 1988) in almost original condition. I never raced it, and never ran it with the stock rims/ tires or the stock Assoc. motor. So as a result I still have the original rear tires/ rims (they still have the little leftover nubs from the mold) and the original front rims with some aftermarket pro line tires from that era. It has the original "wiper arm" speed controller too. I used to run a dirt oval modified body on it but still have my original. It's a little rough and covered in about 20yrs of dust. LOL I am thinking about redoing into a box art shelf queen as it's got potential in my opinion. Here's a few pics so let me know what you guys think.

In addition to this car, I've owned a GT and nitro DS about 10 yrs ago. The GT was my race vehicle when I raced for a short time. I also currently own a Super Champ (90% complete shelf queen w/ NO dirt or grime on it). The gearbox on the Champ was rebuilt w/o grease as to not gum up the brand new OEM gears. :-) Now I'm just an adult who loves to relive the toys and things I did as a kid. :-)

(Sorry for the grainy cell phone pics and the ugly carpeting. LOL)
Attachments
IMG00246.jpg
IMG00245.jpg

Greenie
Approved Member

Re: New Here

Post by Greenie »

A couple more...
(Too bad I was only 14 when I cut/ painted the body. I think I could do better if I had it to do over.)
Attachments
IMG00248.jpg
IMG00247.jpg

wts873
Approved Member

Post by wts873 »

Those bodies are still available and easy to come by. Nice car and I think you'll fit right in here! :D

matthew john
Banned Member

Post by matthew john »

who makes those front tires? nice car, got pics of the bottom?

Greenie
Approved Member

Post by Greenie »

The tires are Pro Line, but not sure on the exact style/ model number. They are obviously not original, but I bought them right after I bought the car new so they are the same era that's for sure. I never liked the way the stock ribs looked so I bought these. The front bumper is also Pro Line and was bought soon after the first time I smashed it head on. LOL (from what I remember)

The pan is in really good shape (better than I thought it'd be). The back under the gearbox has the most scratches. It reminded me how low slung the cars were back then and that I know I dragged it acrossed many neighborhood streets. LOL

Again, sorry for the low quality pics.
Attachments
IMG00255.jpg
IMG00253.jpg
IMG00252.jpg

Greenie
Approved Member

Post by Greenie »

Again sorry for the bad pics. Other than the close up of the scratches under the gearbox the remaining chassis has like two other obvious scratches.
(Edit: Added a close up of the never used rear tires/ wheels.) I used to run it on the street a lot so I had some foam tires that I wore out years ago.
Attachments
IMG00257.jpg

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

for a street runner that thing has very minor scratches on the chassis. a lot of street runners end up with almost no anodizing left under the tail of the chassis. that is a very nice example of a vintage runner. are you planning to clean it up or restore it for shelf duty or you plan to run it again?

welcome to the site btw :)

Greenie
Approved Member

Post by Greenie »

I plan to make it a show piece to go along with my Super Champ (see thread in the Tamiya forums). The RC10 was my good car as a kid and I didn't drive it all the time. I had atleast a half dozen Tamiya cars at the same time and I had more fun banging around with those when I was younger. Plus I had A LOT more Tamiya part lying around to fix them when I broke them. Not to mention the RC10 was the first car I bought with my OWN money when I worked a temp job under the table at 14 yrs old. You tend to take better care of things when you pay for them with your hard earned money. :-)

Thanks for the warm welcomes and the compliments everyone. We all get a kick out of showing off our new and vintage toys. BTW, I've been having blast going through all the pics on here. Lots of new cool cars and lots of stuff I remember I either had or always wanted. :-)

matthew john
Banned Member

Post by matthew john »

any updates?? got a crave to see some more goldpan restos!! think im gonna dig out one of mine and do a resto on one i never messed with yet :D pays off though to put up them tires and rims back in the day, not a lot of people can say they have never run original rc10 tires!! i was shocked when i got mine in pile with some other rc10 stuff!!

Kayne
Approved Member

Post by Kayne »

man I love these cars,so much to do them.i would run that sucker in the dirt with some other tires on it and build a shelfer to put them on.excellent car!
Matt

Drive It Like You Stole It!

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Sweet ride,
I would get new set or wheels and take it to the street. If you plan on building a second car I would save the best stuff from this one and buy a junket from the bay to put a runner together.

Keep us posted on the status.
:mrgreen:

dsmith
Approved Member

Post by dsmith »

i always love pulling out stuff i stashed away years later 8)
those rear tires are nice

Greenie
Approved Member

Post by Greenie »

Thanks guys! Sorry no updates. I have 3 kids and all kinds of stuff around the house that take priority when it comes to my free time. LOL For now, both cars are back under my bed. Maybe after the holidays I'll get them out and slowly rework them into some real eye candy. :)

wyattroa
Approved Member

Post by wyattroa »

welcome.. its nice to see pretty much a virgin car. I always wondered what the front tires looked like when new.. Mine are bald..lol.. They are bald since i can remember..
robert