My Vintage Box Art RC10 replicas

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Ruffy
Approved Member

Re: My Box Art replicas of the RC10

Post by Ruffy »

Last images of the first Boxter, until the new body and wing are completed.
I am trying to recover the "build process" pictures from an external USB WD hard drive I had been using to store the pictures on, as it suddenly has decided to stop working for the last few days. I am going to make another attempt this weekend with some recovery software.
Thanks again to the many people that I gave credit to at the start and have either helped me, provided services for me and or sold me items that contributed to this build; and to Chris for helping me out with the elusive Goodyear Tires.
OrangeBoxter1.jpg
OrangeBoxter2.jpg

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Looks Hot Ruffy, best example to date. 8) great work.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Well Ruffy!.......In my mind you have set a new bench mark for builds! With Kenooze's Kinwald coming in a very close second and scr8p with his Jammin Car just behind Kenny!

My hat is off to you three and I must say it is a pleasure watching the process! Thank you!

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

OH NO! I just seen that you cut the wing side dams too short! Your going to have to do another one! Sorry dude, I hate to piont it out! :oops:

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I agree, it wasn't I that cut the wing. I bought a car and it came with this body and wing. This is why I want to paint my own now (instead of having the painter do it) and make my own wing too. Hopefully they will be done soon.

Today was an off day for me, went out to fly my RC helicopter for a few hours doing some mild 3D flying. Tomorrow I plan on doing some more flying with my T-Rex 700 Nitro Heli and then get back onto the new body and wing. For those that want to know what 3D Heli flying is, check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNSY1CVNtBg
The camera-man missed what the crowd was yelling about due to being out of focus, but here is what they normally see from Nick when the yelling starts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXrRQnVbhCc

Bert, The president of our local RC Heli club, flying at our West Field in Orlando, Fl.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROq0IvgmVBw

Thank-you for the kind comments guys. I realize this will never be a perfect build, but I am pretty happy with it so far, and only need to do a wing now and a few small details. Then onto Boxter #2 or the Original RC10 build. The Jay Haley I put on the back burner for now since both PRP and Scr8p both have some amazing builds of the Halsey 1985 replicas to look at, which is why I decided to tackle the boxter 1st.
This forum is both very imformative and and awesome place to view the creative talents of our members in their own unique builds and replicas.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

u need to make one of these next lol... im in the process of finishing mine soon, one of my favorite rc10's of all times, hands down...

cage and car are built, need to repaint my body, having airbrush problems
Attachments
getuserimage.jpg

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

One of my favorite girls as well! :mrgreen:

I had the privilege of watching Szabo last week in Vagas. Two years ago he was doing a demo for us just like the video, again in Vagas. The kicker was, it was in 30mph winds with 60mph gusts! :shock: The flight was flawless! :shock:

[youtube]dkrfFdxYJG0[/youtube]

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

:shock: :shock: This is some CRAZY R/C Sh..... STUFF.
I have seen it 20 times and it gets me every time. :D

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I got a reply from Mr. Chris Chan himself today, sending him photos of what we came up with to see if he can concur with our findings.
This guy is so cool.
:D :D

Brat
Approved Member

Post by Brat »

Oh my GOD!!!! How did they do that on a RC Helis???!!! :shock: I wonder how many helis had they crashed...must cost a bomb!
My collections:
Nikko Brat, Nikko Dictator II, Nikko Thunder Eagle, Kyosho Pure Ten Nitro, Associated RC10, Associated RC10T, Associated RC10 Graphite, Associated B4, Tamiya Tamtech 1/24 Porsche 962C, Tamiya Striker, Tamiya TRF 501X WCE.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Here is the beginnings of Boxter #2. Although I am going to paint another Boxter body I figured since this was the 2nd one to call it v.2 and the next one to be named v.3 then.
Version 2 is the same paint I mixed up to match the color of the body in the picture Curtis sent, and this is the same body I have already qualified and raced with at the indoor track here. Luckily I didn't get a scratch on it. I added some window netting (not the real stuff, I will save that for the v.3 body) so far, and just painted a wing last night to compliment the body colors. I still have to paint and place the fog lights and another driver figure for this body to be complete.

Using the same body I painted and used for my Gold Runner Car , she is sitting currently in this picture on top of another Early Edinger Chassis, with the early clear diff cover and original tires the car came with (non-goodyear).
I have quite a lot of work ahead for this particular car chassis though, and the previous owner must have changed out the front axles for CRP ones. Once I find a pair of the "trailing" pin axles, I will replace these then, as I do not have any more currently available (if anyone has a set please let me know).
I figured this image could go here until there is more progress either with the 3rd Boxter body or the 2nd car chassis updates.
Boxter-#2.jpg
Both side by side:
boxters1-2.jpg

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Ruffy, you are killing me! I've been gathering parts for almost 3 years now to build a box art replica and I am still missing some of them while you already built two in 2 months :shock: KUDOZ to you, they look very nice indeed...and I hope mine will look as nice. At least I have something you don't have, la la la la :lol:

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Haha!
Yes you sure do!

My second one is only the body and wing so far, I still have tons to do on the car itself. If not for some of the awesome members here, I wouldn't of been able to get this done this quickly.

I am still looking forward to seeing your Boxter replica unfold as any others our members may have. I know they will be exciting!

I have been thinking of making my "v2" chassis identical to the box version in the back as well, if I have the energy to go that far. I am just happy to be able to share these images and the experience with this forum.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Boxter v2
Painted and added the fog lights today, and placed the v2 body on the Boxter v1 chassis for pictures.
Boxterv2_1.jpg
Boxterv2_2.jpg
Boxterv2_3.jpg

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Oh-My that is gorgous! - its looks better than the actual box car 8)

That orange colour scheme works so much nicer against those polished shocks & chassis tubes, the light anodising too gives off that 'feeling' when something is truely well-engineered. The Gold on the later cars just looks a bit harsh to me sometimes.

Congrats :D

P.S that 3D flying is bonkers! When i used to fly planes.... there were guys back then up at the flying field with Helis that would spend hours just practicing the art of hovering... achieving anything like the stunt flying we could with just our planes was almost unheard of.... let alone what these guys are doing :shock: