My Jay Halsey '85 Worlds Replica

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Ruffy
Approved Member

My Jay Halsey '85 Worlds Replica

Post by Ruffy »

To start this off, I would 1st like to congratulate Jay Halsey himself on winning the 1st ever IFMAR OffRoad Worlds in 2WD, and sending the RC10 and RC World into a spiral of evolution that has taken the RC10 to many subsequent World Championships!
Congratulations Jay!
wc_car1985.jpg
I would also like to thank both scr8p and prp for their wonderful replicas and insight into the items they used and their final results as can be found in
scr8p's Halsey replica thread.

First off I took one of my old motorplates (yes a very old one I actually raced with back then) off of one of my old gold race cars. You can see how I had originally cut it at an angle which is how I commonly did it back then, but for this thread Jim and Jay Halsey did things a bit different back then with their motor plate and nose plate cutting, as you will see as this thread matures.
Ruf001.JPG
I used a thin sharpie pen to mark where I wanted to cut, and then using a dremel fiber reinforced cutting wheel and sanding drum to finish, shaped the replica's motor plate.
... and attached it to the chassis, which has yet to be cut along with the noseplate, as I intend to do this last after everything else is complete.
Ruf007.JPG
As you can see from the picture, I have already drilled out the shock tower showing the multiple rear top shock locations he tested during the '85 Worlds. I have also hand cut the fiberglass battery strap, and put together the upper link as Jay had it for this historic race. Note that the 4 bottom shock spring retainers I used are the ones without the slot cut into them, to keep them correct for this timeframe.
Note the upper control link for the rear suspension (picture above and below), something unique that Jay did for the '85 IFMAR World Championships.
Ruf008.JPG
Next I took a set of brand new rear rims and brand new Tamiya Holiday Buggy tires (PN. 153), to put together for the rear which are the tires of choice that Jay used during the '85 IFMAR World's race. keep in mind for future builders that a close replica of this tire, but made of a different rubber compound, is the AJ's/Twinn-K Inc. Off-Road Tire PN. 9719. I also acquired a brand new set of these but chose to use the real deal for my replica.
Ruf003.JPG
I actually used to race with this tire and also tried the AJ's tire back in those days. Both worked well, but the AJ's lacked traction when compared to the Holiday Buggy Tire which I believe was a result of the rubber compound the Tamiya tire had blended in the spike tread area, since both tires sported the same tread design.

If you take a close look at the Tamiya Holiday Buggy tire you can easily see it is made of two compounds. The sidewalls are made of a shiny, harder rubber compound like the AJ's tire (which is entirely made of this compound) while the Holiday Buggy Tire has the center area made of a dull softer rubber compound. I have always believed that the sidewalls are harder, to prevent sidewall flex in the cornering where you need the traction as the tire fights to keep the tread into the ground, while the spike tread area's softer compound was strategically placed here for traction and elongation or stretching under acceleration giving you higher top speeds.
HolidayBuggyTire.jpg
This tire consistantly gave me better traction on any surface I ran it on (back in the day) versus other tires for years, and at least up until they introduced the new wheels for the RC10, that came with a slew of new, low-profile tires and softer rubber compounds that provided great traction. To this day, for me this was the defacto best tire ever for the original rims on offroad surfaces.
Ruf004.JPG
RC10002.JPG
The Proline Knobby tire was one I used a lot back then, due to the available ribs tires of the time not providing much steering traction on the types of tracks we ran back then. The knobby fronts provided the most traction up front back in the early racing days, even though I never used the tamiya front wheels.

Up front on the car we have the Proline Knobby tires for 1.5" dia. rims, PN. 1003 (103-F). I have also already modified the front tower to add the extra shock mounting locations that Jay used back then providing him with more arm droop, giving him longer suspension throw and more ground contact.
Ruf010.JPG
Back in the day, I did the same thing to my own gold pan racers after I watched Jay race and noticed what he had done. After completing my own mod upon my return to my home, I immediately noticed better control, steering and less tail slides using this setup which provided for a more stable running vehicle. The car often looked "funny" as the front arms drooped farther down to the ground, and I can't tell you how many people used to ask me what was going on up front since my car looked different.

Next up front I also added the JG bumper, courtesy of m_vice and that really took me back as I had one of these on each of my racers back then. Thank-you Miguel, very much! M_vice and I go way back to the time when I was a teenager racing for various local hobby shops as a sponsored driver and Miguel was a lot younger and told me he used to watch me race. Those were good times my friend!

At this point I have also added the CRP rubber steering o-rings (PN. 9110) that stiffen up the stock servo savers preventing unwanted small movements for a more precise steering input for racing. I used these all the time from the time they 1st appeared until the Houge steering made it's appearance on the scene. The main reason is because it was light-weight and just worked well all the time. Towards the end I used tie-wraps in their place for even stiffer control.
IMG_5485_001.JPG

Ruffy
Approved Member

Re: My Jay Halsey '85 Worlds Replica

Post by Ruffy »

Next I used the Yokomo 834B wing, which was the wing used on the Dogfighters which were the fast 4WD car of choice back then, for my wing on this replica as I feel it is the wing that Jay used from looking at the pictures that easily show the width (front edge to back edge) of the wing he used, and this wing seems to be the one that fits the bill. Especially after I used the same stickers he used on his wing taken after he won the '85 IFMAR World's.
'sWing.jpg
Wing1-unmarked.jpg
Wing1-marked.jpg
So using the old Yokomo wing, I took some lexan and made side panels for it, bonding them to the wing using MEK, which melts lexan in a clear state to itself. I then searched thru my old sticker box and found all the stickers I needed for this, including the american flags that I already had from back then.
The result is a close-replica of Jay's wing as seen from the many photos of it after the race and while he is holding the trophy with his car. Notice also in that photo the amount of front arm droop his car has!
Ruf006.JPG
Ruf005.JPG
1985worlds1.jpg
This build will continue until finished, ending with the body painted and stickered up like his was. One thing I am hunting for are those old Yokomo wing buttons. I had a set a long time ago from an old dogfighter I had, but can't find them as most likely I sold them with the car.
If anyone has an old set of Yokomo wing buttons, the ones that are basically an aluminum mount with metric pan head phillips screw coming down from the top of the wing and into the mount, that also tighten up against the wing wire...please let me know.
I may need to have these made for me if I can't find a set.

Thanks for looking. I will post more as I get more done.
:D

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

I love how cludged-together some of these championship winning cars actually look. Masami had a bunch like that, with the mis-matched dyed parts, wires taped together, holes and slots ground into the chassis, etc.

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

Awsome job as always Ruffy! You going to dye the front tower black like Jay had? Can't wait to see it done!

Mike

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I sure will. The tower dyed and the cutting of the nose and chassis will come later and I hope to take many pics of how I do it.
Thanks!
:D

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

your motor plate is ALL wrong lol, it should look like this
1.jpg
1.jpg (10.58 KiB) Viewed 6408 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (10.58 KiB) Viewed 6408 times
im kidding around, but that is a picture of jay's motor plate for real.

here is a shot of his chassis too
2.jpg
2.jpg (16.38 KiB) Viewed 6408 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (16.38 KiB) Viewed 6408 times
looking great!

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Thanks Mike! But I haven't shown that side of the motorplate yet :lol: , and nice screenshots from the "Winning Edge".
But yeah I was able to see what he had done from a blow-up of this picture
rc_old_2.jpg
rc_old_2.jpg (14.8 KiB) Viewed 6406 times
rc_old_2.jpg
rc_old_2.jpg (14.8 KiB) Viewed 6406 times
Also, big thank-you for your help on this project.
Box-Art Replica

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

ya i havent commented yet in there but its looking awesome!!

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

Very nice can't wait to see it completed.

kenooze
Approved Member

Post by kenooze »

I feel to have some NIP "6 gears" and not stealth drilled motor plates !

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

The car is looking good Ruffy, very nice work. :D

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

I never knew MEK was used for bonding lexan, I remember when I was in the Airforce they were in the process of banning that stuff since it was found to cause some health problem if inhaled. Methyl Ethyl Ketone right?

Great job on this replica btw, too bad Jay got rid of the actual car a long time ago.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I think those rims on that car ( bitd ) are Aluminum not the CRP/Proline- I think-

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

nice start ruffy. :)

last time i talked to jay, he was pretty sure he used an 834 wing. either that or a 1/12th scale wing.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »