Hi and here's my RC10CE (nothing special, but I like it)

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

CBR240
Approved Member

Hi and here's my RC10CE (nothing special, but I like it)

Post by CBR240 »

Hi everyone. What a great forum.

Me - I ran gas RC road cars, boats, planes in the 1970s. Then this RC10 in the 1990s. Now electric cars and Helis with my boys in the 2010s.

This is my RC10CE I bought new in 1991 (I think). Still have original box, Futaba Magnum Jr, Novak ESC, ... Used alot in the 1990s, then shelved for 10+ years. Got it out early last year to show the boys, and have been breaking parts on it since :D .

"Yea, yea, yea, where are the pictures"? you ask (I would):

Just an old CE with lots of use. This is how it looks "as was" before I found this forum:

The very first body I painted for it:

The 2nd body I painted has since been destroyed, it was much better than the first.

I painted this one recently, and although it doesn't compare to some of the excellent paint jobs here, it's by far the best I've ever done:

Then I learned about JC Racing Wheels from this forum. WOW Modern Tires ROCK!!! :wink: Tire glue = new experience for me. Tire glue??? :D It's a new world.

And AE stickers too :D :

I am now collecting black suspension parts and more. Would really like to find a Stealth Trans that mounts to my 6 gear holes. Or maybe I should "man up" and drill my chassis. It's not like it's collector grade or anything, but, ... well I just don't want to drill it because it my "old original" and I seem to be far too attached to it for most people's comfort :D . Maybe I'll pickup a used and in BETTER shape A chassis and drill that so I don't have to drill mine :D . yea that makes sense. :D

Just wanted to say hi to everyone here, and THANKS!!!! to all the contributors and experts here, for the great information on this site.

kevin107
Approved Member

Re: Hi and here's my RC10CE (nothing special, but I like it)

Post by kevin107 »

Lookin good!

What color is that grey?
RCSoup.com

CBR240
Approved Member

Post by CBR240 »

kevin107 wrote:Lookin good!

What color is that grey?
Thanks!

The grey (gray?) is Tamiya "Gun Metal". When I got the can I was disappointed, the cap looked too close to black (I wanted contrast with the black trim); but I tried a test piece with the white/black/"gun metal" combination and I was quite pleased (actually surprised), so used it for the body.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Looks great! The Stealth can't be mounted to your 6 gear chassis unless you drill it. Go ahead, I did mine, no biggie. It would be good if you can counter sink them though, I didn't and the screws stick out, too lazy to fix it now.

I love modern wheels and tires too, so awesome that they actually stick to pavement and stuff, lol
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

Synergy
Approved Member

Post by Synergy »

CBR240 wrote:Maybe I'll pickup a used and in BETTER shape A chassis and drill that so I don't have to drill mine :D . yea that makes sense. :D

Just wanted to say hi to everyone here, and THANKS!!!! to all the contributors and experts here, for the great information on this site.

Welcome, nice ride, I like the look of a Protech 1 with 2.2s 8)

Why not just buy a runner A/B, B or C chassis, the drilling and counter sinking is done at the factory for you, you should be able to find one with ease?
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Here's my TC Showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028

CBR240
Approved Member

Post by CBR240 »

RC104ever wrote:Looks great! The Stealth can't be mounted to your 6 gear chassis unless you drill it. Go ahead, I did mine, no biggie. It would be good if you can counter sink them though, I didn't and the screws stick out, too lazy to fix it now.

I love modern wheels and tires too, so awesome that they actually stick to pavement and stuff, lol
Thanks, and I agree! :D

On the drilling:
Synergy wrote:

Welcome, nice ride, I like the look of a Protech 1 with 2.2s 8)

Why not just buy a runner A/B, B or C chassis, the drilling and counter sinking is done at the factory for you, you should be able to find one with ease?
Thanks. If I was normal, I'd just drill mine. But I'm not going to be able to get myself to do that :roll: , so yea, an A/B, or later chassis would be the way to go. I've been watching local Craig's List and eBay.

CBR240
Approved Member

Post by CBR240 »

Small update. This grows quickly. :D

1 - I "NEED" a stealth trans. The case part of this worked out great, as Rogue Element Components is making some alloy cases, and I manged to just get in on those. Can't wait till that arrives; I feel like a small child and Xmas is nearing :D I know it will be heavy, but it is sooo cool.

2 - Need parts for above Stealth trans. I hear the outdrives are the hardest to get, so I picked up a used stealth with new bearings off eBay. Should be here soon. That should get me started.

3 - Now seeing how many new stealth parts I can find and over-spend for. :D

So now I'm either going to have to drill my chassis or .... maybe I need a 2nd RC10. The more I think about this (and I do spend too much time thinking about this), I'd like to keep my 22+ year old car stock. I want to keep white parts on it, and they get harder and harder to find in good shape. Decided I'm am going to not drill my gold pan, and am looking for one to start a 2nd "daily driver" RC10.

----------------------------------------------------------

Now it starts - the 2nd "daily driver" RC10. I've looked at a lot on eBay and elsewhere. I've been collecting all black parts whenever I see new ones at a almost reasonable price. I have quite a bit already.

Was thinking of buying a new Black B pan I see on eBay for $81. Then got thinking to complete that I'd need lots of small hard to find parts. So decided to pickup a roller in bad shape for screws, clips and other small parts. Well then that lead to finding an RC10 Graphite on eBay that looks very attractive to me. It would give me all the loose parts, some new to me white parts, and a stealth drilled light weight pan.
I'm currently thinking this is the way to go for my "daily driver" RC10 vintage. It would be the graphite pan + all new black nylon pieces + alloy stealth trans. I will later get it a mild brushless setup.

So that's the new plan. I'll update here as it come together (or not). Maybe even make a build thread for the RC10 Graphite if I get it. Warning to others watching that eBay Graphite, I want it pretty bad and will bid agressivly. Besides you have more RC10s than I do, so give me a break! :D

steelhead
Approved Member

Post by steelhead »

Very nice, I'm in the same boat. I need another RC10 so I can have one shelf queen and one runner. I love the color scheme, that Tamiya gun metal is one of my favorite colors, I used it and white on a couple of my scale crawlers.

CBR240
Approved Member

Post by CBR240 »

Thanks steelhead. I was pleasantly surprised how well the color scheme worked; so much so I am considering painting a 2nd body (a viper) the same.

I'm still looking for the right chassis to start my 2nd RC10 ('the driver" :D ). These things are fetching surprising prices on eBay these days. Good news is that the more parts I collect (am picking up 1 or 2 parts each week), the less I desire to find in the "roller" I am trying to buy.

Good luck to you in your search/build; This is madness, but great fun.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

The white rear wheels at the 6th picture, are these Dynamite wheels? I know I have run some looking like this in the past but don´t remember if there had been just Dynamite tires or if such wheels were of the same brand also. Need to have another look into my offroad boxes.

pastimesteve
Approved Member

Post by pastimesteve »

Great thread and an awesome looking buggy!

Steve

CBR240
Approved Member

Post by CBR240 »

V12 wrote:The white rear wheels at the 6th picture, are these Dynamite wheels? I know I have run some looking like this in the past but don´t remember if there had been just Dynamite tires or if such wheels were of the same brand also. Need to have another look into my offroad boxes.
I had to find the receipts from 22 years ago (Sheldon's Hobbies - 01/07/1991 :D ), because I could not remember. The wheels are:
Front - Pro-Line 2523 "Associated/Kyosho Fits 2.1" Dia Tire"
Rear - Pro-Line 2519 "Fits RC10 & Early Kyosho 2.0 Diameter"
Here's a link I found with picture:
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/proline-pro-line-2523-wheel-rc10-rc-153695053
And a thread here about them:
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=24077&view=previous
Actually I don't have the fronts on in that picture (have stock front wheels), I was going for closer to stock look, but my original rear tires are in such bad shape, I swapped to those that the last moment.

Tires: Imex NO 7592 Olympic On Road Front Fits 2.1 Front Rim
I can't find the package for the rear tires, but they are the matching Imex rear. They say "Imex Road Dawg" on the side of the tires.
pastimesteve wrote:Great thread and an awesome looking buggy!

Steve
Thanks! I'm really enjoying this. :D

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

And AE stickers too :D :

The gun metal grey & white looks killer.
I love this combo, I've got the same Tamiya color on my Baja Bug! :D
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

CBR240
Approved Member

Post by CBR240 »

Well, it's been a while, and a lot has happened in my RC10 life :) , so I thought I'd bring this thread up to date.

First, some more motivation. My son completed his RC10B4.2 kit.

I got him a B4.1 pre-painted body so he'd have a nice body to start, and he was stressing over painting one.

This thing is amazing. We put a brush-less "Associated XP SC700-BL/Reedy 540-SL 3900kV Combo" ESC/motor in it and it is so much faster than any 1/10 electric I had driven before.

So I must have a stealth to sample some of this brush-less power. And better steering. But now I'm getting ahead of myself.

First because I liked the way my last body came out, I painted a Viper body the same. I still like the design/pattern, but I rushed and ... and it really didn't come out well this time (paint job quality wise). So this Viper body will be kind of a beater body.

Viper body pained same as above Pro body (just not as good of a paint job :( ):

CBR240
Approved Member

The daily Driver

Post by CBR240 »

So I had decided to start collecting parts for a 2nd RC10, to be "the daily driver". So I started with a cheap pan. I missed several nice ones for a lot more money, and then decided I'd pick this up because it was only $22 for the chassis. Seller said it was bead blasted and then sprayed with black automotive paint. SO it looks great, but I'm sure it will scrape up fast and badly. Oh well it's a "driver"/basher, so it will add character. :D I can always pick up a nicer chassis later.

Also, the 2nd stealth I got (we will not talk of the first one, there is not much really usable there). It was $40 and is in perfect shape. Out drives look almost brand new. And is sooo smooth.

And then parts:

And more parts:

Antenna and black front tubes:

Going for something like this ("mock up"):