'91 Composite Craft/RPM Worlds build

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

vsefiream
Approved Member

'91 Composite Craft/RPM Worlds build

Post by vsefiream »

I've been following a lot of different threads here and I really would like to build a Worlds/OIN car. I ran across this on Ebay last month:

I really wanted it but I was outbid in the end. I later found out that it is a Composite Craft '91 Worlds chassis and full RPM Worlds parts. So I did a little reasearch here and found their current web site. After a little more searching I found this car on Ebay:

I was able to win this car and tore into it as soon as I got it. I also managed to find the correct front bumper for it. I cleaned it all up and this is what it looks like now:

So I got in touch with Kim at Composite Craft and ordered a new '91 Worlds Chassis. Kim gave me a few style options and I chose something a little more modern. I will post pics when it arrives.

My dilema is to dye or not to dye. I really like the orange color and want to dye all the parts orange. I still like the way the first car looks in this post with the white parts. I'd like to hear what you guys think???

In the meanwhile, I am acquiring parts for the build. I have wheels that match the car above but I think I'll use the yellow wheels I currently have. The fronts are B2 type and the rears are the inverted finned style 2.2 wheels with clear covers. They appear to be LOSI wheels:

I need to order carbon towers and trans brace from RC Carbon Works. They have the carbon front shock tower and worlds rear with wing mount holes. I may pick up V2 shocks and MIP CVDs soon as well.

I'll probably use my Fly Sky radio and buy a Reedy brushless kit.

I'm hoping to race this car in the local 2wd indoor and outdoor classes

chophead69
Approved Member

Re: '91 Worlds OIN build

Post by chophead69 »

Nice...i have a few rc toys but love my 10.i am redoing my graphite to make it more moderen ss well.i just placed my order from rc carbon as well cant wait to get them. Oh i like white by the way.
My pop always said i had to many iron's in the fire

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Keep the white parts white. Don't peroxide the rpm stuff. Dye the colored parts a dark matching color or trade for white ones. So you got that chassis, nice.

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

I think that I will replace all the dyed parts with white parts. I at least want to see how it will look.
I learned my lesson on the RPM parts, they don't like peroxide. I won't do that again.

lexus-5
Approved Member

Post by lexus-5 »

I have a question/observation please:

Why would Composite Craft put out a chassis cut the way the one in the picture is (at the top) and call it a “Worlds” chassis and
Associated put out a similar carbon fiber but very very rare chassis (below) cut the same way as the Composite Craft chassis but it not considered to be a “Worlds” chassis?
Wonder which company put out that chassis design first?
Just wondering…not trying to high jack your build string BTW keep all white parts. They look more wholesome...LOL
Attachments
a120120worlds20mon20final20006.jpg
RC10 Worlds Chassis ???
a120120worlds20mon20final20006.jpg (21.32 KiB) Viewed 4992 times
RC10 Worlds Chassis ???
RC10 Worlds Chassis ???
a120120worlds20mon20final20006.jpg (21.32 KiB) Viewed 4992 times
Remember it's either a runner or a shelfer. Everything else is just parts.

Check out my Gallery for more Collection Pictures http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=20697

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Lexus, not sure on the timing of the release of the 'worlds' car chassis and the very late associated carbon chassis, but remember that the composite craft chassis also takes into account the longer arm geometry, ie, truck style nose and narrow rear chassis. Also, I would think the narrower chassis from associated would allow then to waste less material because you can stack them closer on a blank. good observation, who knows how it all shook down.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i would direct you to associated's "stealth" cars from the 89 and 91 worlds as to who cut it first.

http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/cars_and_trucks/RC10/australianrc10.pdf

http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/cars_and_trucks/RC10/detroitrc10.pdf

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

To confuse you more, CC also had a version of that chassis for stock length "team" arms. :!:

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I say dye the plastics whatever color you like. My 91 worlds was built with all new parts but I still dyed them red. Sacreligious to some but I like red so I did it.

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

No problem Lexus, it an on-topic hijacking. I saw that car a while back on Associated's site but it does seem that Masami's car was first. CC's chassis is pretty true and does'nt have the mass production constraints.
I really like Masami's cars!

I appreciate all the comments

I am going to build the car up with the white RPM parts with yellow wheels and steering components. I'm looking forward to this build and hitting the track with it. There have been a number of RC10's through my hands in the last year but none have interested me as much as this one.

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

I just got word from Composite Craft that my chassis is shipping today. I picked up some purple hardware from Bob aka Askbob (thanks Bob). As soon as the chassis arrives, the sloooow build will begin. All plastic will be white with the exception of an RPM gear cover which was purchased in black. The steering and wheels will be yellow and the hardware is purple. I think the body will be a yellow and purple two tone of some sort.
I just picked up my airbrush for the first time yesterday and painted my son's Stampede body using Parma Fastcolor. I am hooked and cannot wait to do something cool for this RC10 build! Did I mention this same airbrush has been sitting in my basement for 10 years untouched since I bought it?? Something about water based RC paint, it's just so much more pleasant to use.

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

Hmmm... wonder what this might be????

more to come :wink:

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

O so pretty... I'm glad I bought a new chassis and not the one at the top of this thread.

A quick weight check, this car is going to be light! Gold and black pan weights shown for comparison:

I included the nose as the CC chassis is inclusive:

The black chassis that came with the RPM worlds parts, cut and lightened:

OK so when parts like this arrive my patience flys out the door. Let the build begin:

That's all for now. I really want RC Carbon Works CF towers, I'll order them in the next month along with MIP axles and V2 threaded shocks. For now I just wanted to get an idea of how it's going to look. I really like the yellow and purple contrast on the carbon chassis. I will be using yellow RPM ball cups and the body will be a Viper with a bright green, yellow and purple scheme.
I see why a lot of you guys turn these in to shelfers. After putting it together I don't want to get it dirty, go figure. I'll be investing in some chassis protector sheet from lowclass for sure. Gotta keep in mind I'm building a runner!!
I have a little fitment issue with the top plate. All the screw holes are in the right locations but the top plate hits both shock towers. A little trimming of the towers is necessary, no big deal. I'll trim the CF towers when I get them. The chassis did not included the nose mount for the top plate. I will call CC Monday but I will probably just make my own, no big deal.

More in a week or two

uniquenamehere
Approved Member

Post by uniquenamehere »

That looks really sweet! Nice job so far :)

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

I'm glad you saved me from creating a build around that screw kit. :lol:

That chassis looks sweet!