Real Jay Halsey raced RC10 or Replica? Restore Project!!

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XxRONNxX
Approved Member

Real Jay Halsey raced RC10 or Replica? Restore Project!!

Post by XxRONNxX »

Just picked this up from eBay. I'm pretty sure it was owned and raced by Jay Halsey. I'm surprised no one else bid on it. Probably put the correct 6 gear tranny and milled motor plate and everything else period correct if it's legit. Comments? Opinions?

ImageImage

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

Re: Real Jay Halsey raced RC10 or Replica? Restore Project!!

Post by Bottom Feeder »

I sure hope you didn't pay a whole lot of money assuming that it was once one of Jay's cars because the chances of that are almost nil. There's nothing about that car besides the replica body that indicates that it was ever a team driver's race car. It's nothing more than someone's basher.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i don't think i would go discrediting this car right off the bat. some of it.... yes, but the body is intriguing. his name in sharpie looks legit to me (compared to his sig on my replica), so i would say he signed someone's replica body at the very least. or, he signed it before he passed it on. either way, that's an old body.

gonna have to go do some digging........

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

No multiple rear top shock mounts and no shock ends replacing ball cups on the rear camber links?
Don't think I have ever seen any of Jay's cars missing those mods?

well, I guess his early car in the video did not have the updated camber links yet, doh

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Definitely some aspects that make it look plausible but also more than a few things that make me very doubtful.

Like I doubt Halsey would swiss cheese the chassis to lighten it then run aluminum wheels....or upgrade to a Stealth trans and MIP GT bellcranks but keep the gold shocks (.56" up front?) early rear bulkhead and one hole rear tower.

XxRONNxX
Approved Member

Post by XxRONNxX »

I did some research on his cars before bidding on it and I'm confident this was one of his. Below are screen shots of 2 of Jay Halsey's cars from the RC Off-road VHS, and the other is the RC10 Winning Edge video. Both videos can be found on YouTube. Pay close attention to the milling of the chassis on both cars and compare them to mine. Also notice all of Jay's cars has a black Team Associated decal on the side. I doubt this was someone's attempt to duplicate or make a tribute car because who would be so accurate on these details and then trash it and I doubt anyone was making tribute cars in the 1980's. The body has rare, vintage stickers like the JG Mfg. and the Radio Control Race Center RCRC decals. The guy who had it before me probably used it as a basher, installed a stealth tranny and black motor plate, installed a crappy servo, replaced the wheels with aluminum, changed a few other minor things, and hacked the body a little bit not knowing anything about the car. Also the nose plate may have been changed because the anodizing is more like the Cadillac RC10 era. I doubt it's a 100% Halsey original...more like 60%. That's why I'd like to restore it with period correct parts. If anyone is curious how much I paid, shoot me a personal message. Let's just say you can buy a new brushless motor and a set of brand new tires for what I paid and it was free shipping. :wink:

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

Post by Bottom Feeder »

Yes, the chassis looks similar but I think that was probably the point. The milling off the sides looks good but the swiss-cheesing looks more random and sloppy and less precise and the motor guard hasn't been touched. The nose plate hasn't been modified and the nose brace tubes have not been trimmed. And you really can't go by things like having the right stickers as being an indicator since they could be easily replicated by looking at pics in a magazine or watching a video. Ignoring the obviously newer Stealth transmission and motor plate, too many small details about the car are just wrong, like the very stock hardware, shock towers, threaded rods instead of turnbuckles, Andy's arms, MIP steering, aluminum wheels, etc. So basically only the chassis and body are a loose 'maybe', everything else is a 'no'. That said, ANYTHING on the car could have been changed in the last 30 years so it'll be impossible to verify. The price you paid, which sounds like it was around $100-$120, seems perfectly reasonable if not cheap for a complete RC10 with aluminum wheels and a working Stealth.

Sorry, I'm not trying to poop all over this, I'm just being realistic...

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

there is plenty "wrong" with the car........if you want to call it that.

but, most of the ae guys in '88 were using andy's arms..... at least on the front. the ae wide tracks didn't come out until the following year.

masami:
101.jpg
cliff:
lett nats.jpg
even halsey. also note some threaded rods on his car too:
JayHalseyCar2.jpg
here's the body from the above car. note the hand painted "Jammin Jay" under the window.
JayHalseyCar.jpg
i'm not saying it was halsey's car. but just because it has a stealth and aluminum rims doesn't mean it never was...... at least some of it. jay is only an email away. ask him what he thinks. :wink:

XxRONNxX
Approved Member

Post by XxRONNxX »

I emailed the seller of the car to get more info on the car's history but got an auto response saying he won't be available till July 21st. I'll try to contact Jay through his website's customer support. As far as the car goes, I believe the chassis and the body is original. Everything else is questionable. This of course is my opinion based on the screen shots and photos.

BTW, the motor guard on this screen shot doesn't seem to be touched or trimmed down either. Also, the holes on my rear motor guard are countersunk with the wrong screws used. You guys think Jay used countersunk screws on the screen shot below?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

The thing that bugs me on the tub is the lack of planning when drilling the holes. All the pics I've seen the holes are strategic, not touching the smaller 4-40 holes and certainly not Ovaled. It was very common to copy Jays chassis cuts, I've done a few now and I know others around here have cut their fair share. To me the chassis doesn't add up.

The body is the part that I would be looking closely at. While it was very possible to do up a copy back then, the signature looks pretty good.

Just my $.02
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Mark Westerfield
Approved Member

Post by Mark Westerfield »

The front plate, tubes and rear chassis are not modded to reduce weight. The battery cup and bulkhead are not cut to lower the battery and reduce weight. The rear shock tower has counter sunk screws for the speed control, but not the inside hole for the shock. Not modded to run the short wheelbase rear arm mount holes. I would think the car is just someones old rc10 racer, the body may be legit though.

The 32 pitch spur on the stealth tranny made me laugh though, I guess whoever put the stealth tranny on it at some point didn't want to buy 48 pitch pinions.

JOESGARAGE
Approved Member

Post by JOESGARAGE »

This was used by kent clausen. Now I have it!

image.jpg
image.jpg (63.18 KiB) Viewed 3794 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (63.18 KiB) Viewed 3794 times
OLD SCHOOL!

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

JOESGARAGE wrote:This was used by kent clausen. Now I have it!

image.jpg
Kent is also a member here. He pops in the onroad forums from time to time.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

JOESGARAGE
Approved Member

Post by JOESGARAGE »

Yes, I have emailed pictures of the car. He verified that the car at one point belonged to him.
OLD SCHOOL!

hugger19
Approved Member

Post by hugger19 »

does he have pics of the car when he owned it. would like to see how much the car has changed.