- RC10 crazyness -

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Asso_man!
Approved Member

- RC10 crazyness -

Post by Asso_man! »

It has been a long time I didn't have all my cars at hand, they are now all here to be completed, revamped and photographed one after the other. This thread will enclude them all and I'll update it each time one is totally done and ready to be retired from the shelf as I need to make some room for the coming baby. I'll try to describe them the best I can with history, hop-ups... None has been photographed the way I want yet, but it will hopefully not last long.

I've been collecting darn RC10's for more than 5 years and I think my collection won't do anything but perhaps shrink a little bit. I now have tons and tons of stuff to re-list, some crap, some NIP and even MINT. I have currently 4 or 5 projects on the bench, and they should be completed any time soon. I felt in love with this car as a 10 year old kid, but the car was way too expensive (400-500$, and the Belgian franc-$ exchange rate was then horrible, the situation is the total opposite right now whit 1 Euro for 1,51$, an all time record...) for my father to even buy one for me. So, each time I went to town, I tried to bypass a visit or something and go glancing at the boxed RC10's and other cars that filled my dreams for a long time before being concrete. Then my father and I went to a LHS and he offered me my first real RC car, a 1st. gen. Ultima. I ran it everywhere possible and even participated at a first race when I was like 15 years old. I had no buck to even buy a screw, so it was harsh to compete with grown-ups that had every possible hop-up at the time... I must also ad that the RC10 was very poorly distributed here in Europe, you could get a kit quite easily, but when it came to spare parts, it was horribly difficult to have something ordered and arrived in time. Then we went to visit London and, as my Ultima was slowly converting to a real piece of crap, we went to a hobby shop and bought a Schumacher Top Cat. I was sooo happy with it and as soon as we came back to home I built it in like 6 hours. Next day it was burning the street and I also raced it each Sunday at a local club. A few years later, I was able to buy myself a RC10 (Team Car with black tub) with money raised form stupid student jobs. Then came girls, parties, beer and what so ever and sold the car to a friend of mine. I ever since missed it and when I bought a B4 like 6 years ago with the intention of racing again, I almost immediately felt like I was missing something: the good old days... I searched Ebay for a while and finally decided to buy a gold pan and restore it. You most probably imagine the rest of the story...

Here's a teaser, can you name them all :?:

Let's begin with my first gold tub. This is the first vintage RC10 I bought years ago. It's a bushing kit with a Edinger motor. I didn't modify anything on this one, I just added new Proline tires at the rear and cleaned it the best I could. It has very few scratches on the bottom of the chassis. Note that this is an early model with one hole rear shock tower, early gear cover... I wish one day I'll be able to re-solder and re-wire the old MSC and do the box-art thing 8) .

The unfinished Jay Halsey replica. Chassis is new built, fully ball-raced. The body was already painted that way when I received, so don't blame me again because this is not the correct paint scheme, I know it and I wish one day I'll get the correct one, one day... The car is fitted with the following:

- Team Pit Stop aluminium bearing cover for the tranny
- Pro-Line three-piece front rims with Pro-Line Knobby
- JG Kydex front bumper
- Parma gear cover
- AJ's rear tires

Image Image

Next is the "golden opportunity" rig. I got this car for an awesome price, body was freshly painted and untrimmed, chassis has minor scratches and all plastic parts have been replaced with brand new out of the package ones... It's actually a pretty good replica of the RC10 that appears at the end of the early manuals (though in black and white) minus the Pro-Line chromed rims. It also appears exactly like that on the old Pactra paint stands from the LHS', with the Pro-Line chromed rims and in color this time :P .

Image Image Image Image Image

The TQ10 was the first ever graphite chassis for the '10. It was distributed by Horizon-Hobby in association with AE. When I got it, it was all dusty and oily, wrong tires all around and a totally hacked body. The chassis was in rather good shape, but with some extra holes and scrathes up and down the chassis. So, when I recently bought an almost unrun one, I swapped the chassis on this one. This is an early version with small front arms, later versions came with the upgraded large track front a-arms. It also seems that the earliest versions had no holes at the rear to mount a motor guard. Though that option only came with the Graphite RC10... I added a non period correct black RPM motor guard just for the look. Everything else is original on it, it only misses the plastic rings for the shocks. It also has a Jammin' Jay wing with Losi wing mounts.

Here's my awesome custom sand rail, roll cage is completely done by hand. It has a bunch of hop-ups and almost all the hardware has been replaced with brand new parts; including:

- NOS front and rear gold shocks (the earliest version with plain spring retainers)
- Parma front bumper
- Brand spanking new Robinson Racing Steering control system (18° king pin with 20°/40° castor)
- White RPM ball cups
- New rear shock tower (early model with 1 hole)
- Fully ball-raced 6 gear tranny fitted with Losi outdrive bearings
- Litesink Heatsink
- New white rear bulkhead (early model with long wing tubes)
- RPM black front bulkhead
- New rear dogbones with springs
- Andy's front and rear black arms
- Billet Sees rims
- Parma clear gear cover

I also added a servo and a Checkpoint motor and plan to install a vintage receiver and ESC.

I still have to find a way to install the Wild Willy driver and paint it. I may also add some window netting and lexan parts to cover the front and the top, ahh decisions...

The infamous full Hot Trick conversion features the following:

- HT chassis, front and rear arms, shock collars, front and rear shock towers, steering rack
- Team Pit Stop chain drive tranny hopped-up with the TPS slipper thingy
- AE front chromed wheels with AE TQ-72 tires
- Parma rear 5-spoke chromed wheels with Pro-Line Cherokee tires

Image Image Image Image Image Image

The A&L trailing arm chassis. One of my favorite chassis conversion. The quality of the parts is just awesome! It is fitted with the following:

- A&L graphite long front shock tower
- A&L ball-raced steering system
- MIP Tranny with TQ10 black motor plate
- RPM ball cups
- Parma clear gear cover
- AE 3-piece rear rims with TQ-21 tires
- AE one piece front rims with TQ-76 tires

Image Image Image Image

The blue milled chassis... competely built with random used stuff I had laying around. I actually got the chassis as a spare with another car. Sides of the chassis have been cut, inside of the tub has been carefully CNC machined and everything was re-anodized blue. Bottom does have some scratches as the front kick-up plate.

Here's what it's got:

- Team Losi Performance steering bellcranks
- Parma heavy duty ball cups
- JG red Kydex front bumper
- White Andy's front arms
- MIP tranny
- Hot Trick rear shock tower
- Custom Works (formerly A&L) battery holder
- RPM black gear cover
- Novak NER 2-S receiver
- Novak 4 ESC
- Trinity Monster Horse Power motor
- Hot Bodies Stealth Fighter bodyshell

Image Image Image Image

This is an incomplete Andy's molded chassis with trailing arms. I still need to find the Andy's front and rear shock towers, battery cup and one point steering...

- Andy's factory painted body
- Andy's molded chassis, front and rear bulkheads, front and rear trailing arms
- Atomic-Carbon front and rear shock towers
- MIP tranny
- Team Losi Performance steering
- RPM black gear cover
- Parma rear rims with used Losi X-pattern tires
- Pro-Line front rims

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
And then came the Stealth...

Here's my new built CE edition with Stealth tranny. Bushings all around, Parma Desert Eagle body (I'm keeping the Protech II uncut), three-piece rims all around, AE 6823 rear tires and 6873 front tires.

Here's a heavily modified Graphite car. When I got it, it was stock and had never been run, but all parts were dyed red, which was not very nice... So I gradually added hop-ups and white and black parts to obtain what is herebelow.

- JPS diamond spoke rims
- Tecnacraft turnbuckles
- Team Losi Performance steering bellcranks
- Litesink Heatsink
- Twister motor
- Jammin' Jay wing
- Composite Craft or maybe Parma rear graphite shock tower
- Hammad Ghuman machined wheel retainers

Image Image Image Image

Then comes my black widow MIP car

- MIP shock bodies all around
- MIP change box tranny
- MIP battery holder
- Composite Craft front and rear shock towers
- Custom alloy servo posts
- Tecnacraft turnbuckles
- Andy's front a-arms
- RPM rear arms
- Robinson Racing rear adjustable toe-in rear arm mounts
- Robinson Racing front steering system with 18° caster
- Jammin' Jay wing
- Hot Bodies? body
- T&A machined rims

Here's the Tekin chassis with active-link suspension and mid-motor. This is probably the only chassis ever designed for the RC10 with mid-motor conversion for off-road racing. I purchased the kit directly from Tekin when they found a hidden stash in their factory and retailed these for almost nothing. It's probably the most ugly design ever made for the '10 though. The idea of the active-link rear suspension is to eliminate the "camber taking" from the rear when cornering etc. This can be seen in the fourth from the right tiny clickable picture. The body is a slammed factory painted Parma Chenowth.

- Tekin active-link suspension kit for buggy
- Rear 3-piece rims with Parma mini-spike tires
- Yokomo shocks
- Parma Cyclone II motor

RPM ultra molded chassis. This one started its life as a restore, but I slowly gathered NIP parts and replaced them progressively. Most of the RPM parts come directly from RPM, that's why the chassis has been autographed by Richard Royall, the boss of RPM and designer of this chassis. This is one of my top 5 cars, I just love the engineering that is behind the car, it's really the precursor of modern 2wd in my opinion... Here's the recipe:

- Hammad Ghuman VLT clear shock bodies (Losi type)
- MIP rear aluminium shock cartridges
- Stealth tranny with Hydra-Drive conversion
- HPI rear wheels with Losi X-pattern tires
- AE front wheels with Kyosho tires
- reversed Losi wing tubes
- RCPS titanium turnbuckles
- Losi XX body

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Here comes the Composite Craft World's 91 rig. I bought t the chassis NIP from Jim (aka Shodog) and all other parts are either MINT or new.

- Composite Craft double deck narrow chassis
- RPM gear cover
- RPM a-arms, rear hubs, motor guard and rear arm carriers
- RPM front (with no holes for the tubes!) and rear shock towers
- White MIP ball-raced steering
- Tecnacraft turnbuckles
- Hot Trick rear adapters to fit Yokomo rims
- Jammin' battery holder
- Team Checkpoint motor
- Losi X-pattern rear tires
- B2 body

Here are my "World's" graphite twins. This is the very last version of the Graphite Team Car released just before the B2 came out. As you can see the chassis has a very special design that mimics the one used by Masami at the World's Championships. The cars herebelow aren't stock, they are supposed to have all the parts from a Team Car. The first black one was purchased from a friend of mine who used to race it before I retired it. It features an uber rare Brian Kinwald Reedy motor that was never available to the public because "Dirtynator" signed with Losi just a few weeks before the motor line should have been released.

- World's car front and rear shock towers
- Early MIP ball-raced steering
- MIP shiny CVD's
- Black Stealth
- Ultima front bumper
- Graphite tranny brace

The other is heavily hopped-up:

- World's front and rear shock towers
- MIP ball-raced steering
- Tecnacraft turnbuckles
- Gold motor guard
- Team Checkpoint motor
- Graphite tranny brace
- Parma rear rims with Yokomo Hot Laps tires
- Pro-Line front rims with Schumacher stud tires
- Hot Bodies Stealth Fighter body

Now let's have a look at my Dual Sport. When I first purchased this car, it was a total wreck: chassis was a hacked T2 with bent front plate, dust, grease and who knows what all around. I slowly restored it each time I came across a new part and here' the result. I have a Parma Chevy body for it, but I still have to cut and maybe paint it. The car is almost stock, but for the MIP tranny, RPM gear cover and chromed motor plate. It also has a yummy Team Checkpoint motor.

Minicooper 35
Approved Member

Re: RC10 crazyness

Post by Minicooper 35 »

Looks ok.

Just kidding. That is one nice collection! :!: Simply awesome. :shock:
"The things you own, they end up owning you."

GAMMACRUSH
Approved Member

Re: - RC10 crazyness -

Post by GAMMACRUSH »

:shock: sweeet! Is this is going to be the most awesome super thread ever? freakin crazy!!11

OMG.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Very cool, I love it when a collection is all together

joeyskates
Approved Member

Post by joeyskates »

Haha Jim, you kinda sound like Hannibal from the A-Team.

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

I LIKE the tuber best lol.DON

hkp
Approved Member

Post by hkp »

AWESOME Stuff man! Wow.. Your '10 collection is quite something to behold.

Well Done 8)

railey72
Approved Member

Post by railey72 »

Nicely done!! Great Collection. Crazy? Maybe.

MikeyD
Approved Member

Post by MikeyD »

The "Golden Opportunity" still stands out in the crowd! 8)

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Bump, first pics have been added! Stay tuned guys 8)

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

What a fantastic collection! Love the pictures!!! I'm using this thread as exhibit "A" when my wife says I have too many cars. :lol: :wink:

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

RichieRich wrote:What a fantastic collection! Love the pictures!!! I'm using this thread as exhibit "A" when my wife says I have too many cars. :lol: :wink:
Hey Rich, if exhibit "A" is not enough for her, you could still tell her, these are only my '10's, I've also like 10 non-AE rigs :P

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Bump for a massive update, the camera is hot hot hot :P

17nut
Approved Member

Post by 17nut »

Love the Rail!! Awesome Collection

templeofspeed
Approved Member