My babies...

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

My babies...

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

Here are my two current RC10 that are assembled... 4 more in the mail to my Canadian home and two T2 trucks comming in... I also have 80% of a RC10T in parts that needs to be built...

The yellow one is a Champ edition Stealth that I actually bought brand new in a store in Vancouver 4-5 years ago... I was trying to get parts for a 6 gears tranny and they offered me to buy their last car instead with a sale price to get rid of it! :D

This car is pretty much in stock condition. I added bearings, a graphite front shock strut, a graphite wing, HPI wheels and a set of nice rear tires that I don't knos (it says hot laps on them)

The orange car is my current driver (well I drove it like 5 times).
Sassy chassis chassis
Sassy chassis bellcrank
Front shocks are duratrax... All I have for now
Front and rear graphite shock tower
Andys bumper... It is too fast right not so I'd rather have something to take up to shocks...
Graphite tranny brace
CVD
RPM gear cover
Schumacher active caster front arm system... Dont really know what it does :D
I have a graphite wing for it but no wing tubes :evil:

The electronics in there is temporarty... with 7 cells the speedo is burning hot...

I love this chassis... I also have a NIB black anodized one! If one day I cross the path of a machinist I think I'll try to have a few copies made...

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

nice rigs dude!

i've never seen that schumacher front end setup before... its pretty funky.

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

Yeah I know. I never saw it before either... I had that in a box of parts laying around... I thought of selling it on ebay to raise some funds but I don't think I would have got much for it so I just instaled it... Haven't tried it yet... I don't think it changes handling that much... but it's a cool part :wink:

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i wouldnt run if it were me, it would suck to break it. but i dont run any of my rigs, even the runners. :wink:

imo it would be the perfect front end on a tekin active suspension shelf queen. i got a wierd schumacher hopup as well, a fluid slipper (lots like a losi hydradrive) for a rc10gt. at least thats what the ebay listing said, i never did anything with it beside throw it in my parts box.

Daddeo
Approved Member

Post by Daddeo »

IIRC, the rear tires on your gold tub are made by Yokomo. I know at one time that made a tire labeled with "Hot Laps", I could be wrong though. Very nice RC's by the way :D.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Ooooohhh, Sassy Chassis. Haven't heard that name in a while. That dude was local to us, Jason... I want to say Glen Ellyn or Itasca or thereabouts. Somewhere in the 'burbs. Very strange guy, too. He made a lot of odd folded aluminum sheet parts for Clodbusters and monster trucks, and replacement silver aluminum chassis for just about every car. IIRC, that RC10 chassis was REALLY flexy. Neat looking—especially polished in trade show mode—but I don't remember ever seeing one at the track.

Nice find.

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

Yeah the Tires are Yokomo... it rings a bell!!

I think I will take the Schumacher parts out and put back the original parts before driving the car... You are right it would suck to break them besides, I don't think they do much other than being a cool weird part.

I've seen the sassy chassis for rc10 going pretty high on ebay once (above $100), It's true that they are a bit flexy but I like them a lot. Quite strong.

FifthScaleRacer
Approved Member

Post by FifthScaleRacer »

AYKBOBCAT wrote:Yeah the Tires are Yokomo... it rings a bell!!

I think I will take the Schumacher parts out and put back the original parts before driving the car... You are right it would suck to break them besides, I don't think they do much other than being a cool weird part.

I've seen the sassy chassis for rc10 going pretty high on ebay once (above $100), It's true that they are a bit flexy but I like them a lot. Quite strong.
Badhoopty knows all about Sassy Chassis selling for $100+ ;)

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

huh? :?:

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

AYKBOBCAT wrote:huh? :?:
i was the guy who paid 100+ for a sassy chassis, fifthscale remembers cause he was the one sellin'.

i didnt intentionally do so, it was the last seconds of the auction and i sniped with a crazy high bid. come to find out alex had the same plan and i barely beat his snipe bid.

so yea, i paid 100+ for a sassy, you gotta problem with that? :wink:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

nice rides. :)

sometime last year there was a n.i.p. black anodized sassy chassis on ebay. it sold for $18. i waited to long to put in my max bid, and by the time time the screen refreshed (using dial-up at the time), the auction was over. :x i don't know what the winner's max was, but it probably would have been a cheap score, the way the bid history looked.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Please don't take this as an insult to anything anyone likes to collect. Please do not take this the wrong way. I just want to point something out for the sake of information.

My brother and I were reminiscing last weekend about racing R/C cars (off road) as kids, and the cars we had. He found an old video of us racing, and even one of the car that I based my Cardinal project on (I have some photos to post in another thread).

When I was telling him about the prices being paid for some of the rare RC parts out there, he was shocked. We laughed pretty hard about some of the things we had and hated.

What really got us going was the fact that there are so many parts that are not only coveted today, but VALUABLE in the collector's market, that were absolute garbage when they were new. Hot Trick, Sassy Chassis, wings that moved with suspension, aluminum wings and a few other items come to mind, were almost universally considered generic trash that no one wanted to be seen dead with at the race tracks. We joked about the Hot Trick steering bellcranks that pivot off of a thread, so the whole steering moved up and down when it swung left to right... Now we buy every little piece of red fiberglass in hopes of completing a fully red anodized aftermarket version of our beloved RC10.

I think it's awesome that these items have a purpose now, and that they are finally getting loved. I think a polished Sassy RC10 or JRX2 would be cool as hell. Even though they never raced using those chassis and few people ever bought them for anything other than displays, they would make super cool shelf queens now.

Fantastic stuff to talk about.

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

scr8p wrote:nice rides. :)

sometime last year there was a n.i.p. black anodized sassy chassis on ebay. it sold for $18. i waited to long to put in my max bid, and by the time time the screen refreshed (using dial-up at the time), the auction was over. :x i don't know what the winner's max was, but it probably would have been a cheap score, the way the bid history looked.
That'S the kind of price I paid a few years back :D

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

Well

In the golden RC10 era I was just akit with barely enough money to drive a ayk bobcat with a crappy battery and no cash to fix anything... So I can't tell if this or this part was good in the time... Having said that I think the Sassy chssis is pretty cool and I like it a lot! Flex or not I don't care... I'm nor racing, never been and I am not sure I will ever do it...

I'm not offended by the way. I agree that it is cool to see trash prices going up! :D

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

nice rides AYK.

If you want to play around with sheet aluminum, here's a simple and effective way to reduce chassis flex. Cut chassis. Cut strip of aluminum approx 1.25" X 6" adjusting dimensions to suit chassis and adhere with liquid nails or other contact adhesive.