Important R/C cars to the history of R/C

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Typicray@rainmans
Approved Member

Important R/C cars to the history of R/C

Post by Typicray@rainmans »

Tell me what you think were the most pivotal cars in R/C history. Also include stuff like races back when the car would be run and aftermarket parts that were made for the car.
Almost all my posts will be edited because I know what I want to write, but my fingers always hit the wrong keys.

kink
Approved Member

Re: Important R/C cars to the history of R/C

Post by kink »

Obviously the RC10 changed 1/10 2WD off road forever. Cars before this were crap (Tamiya Frog etc).

Yokomo Dogfighter changed 1/10 4WD off road forever. Easy to strip down. Amazing ability out the box.

Kyosho Burns changed 1/8th off road forever. Modern cars are just copies really. Real game changer.
GARBO 1/8

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

The Team Losi Junior series, they brought molded composite chassis from toys to racing vehicles. Prior to that it had to be aluminum or flat plate graphite.. Yes they were entry level cars but they foreshadowed the Pro SE and the LXT... a test bed if you will :)

Chris
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Grasshopper and hornet, many peoples "first", very durable and easy to repair
Blackfoot, not the first but by far the most popular monster platform
Rc10 as mentioned above
Rc12e, simple and effective 1/12 car that changed racing
Jrxt first "competitive" truck kit
Dominator, uncontested for many years in dirt oval, only competition were clones
Clodbuster, again not the first but it's a platform that hasn't changed since '86 or so

Those are the cars that I feel "changed" the market. Not evolutionary as much as revolutionary. I love the jrx2, but it was chasing the rc10, where the Jrxt was a truck out of the box. The 10T was a better race truck but the market was already there at that point. My logic makes sense to me but it's just my opinion :mrgreen:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

Granted the Jrxt was labeled a racing "monster" truck, and then the 10t came around and it turned into stadium trucks (with ridiculously oversized and outstretched wheels)

Chris
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

clm wrote:Granted the Jrxt was labeled a racing "monster" truck, and then the 10t came around and it turned into stadium trucks (with ridiculously oversized and outstretched wheels)

Chris
That's a good point,

RC10T changed stadium trucks.....but....wasnt the Traxxas TRX Eagle (1990) there first? Hmmmm
I would have to (reluctantly) put a traxxas on the list too.

The T-Maxx was a very revolutionary truck and taught people everywhere how to take your truck to the hobby store for repairs
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

Traxxas to me never really seemed to adopt the low slung body of the stadium trucks while I was still doing RC in the 90's they were always this stadium style body perched high up on body mounts like the monster trucks but sold for racing. That low slung shrinkwrapped to the chassis look from the 10t made me weak in the knees however :oops: I mean if you are going to toss Traxxas in... the hawk came out in 89 and stayed in about that same form through the rest of their 90's race trucks only swapping out materials for chassis shocks and whatnot.

Chris
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T

Typicray@rainmans
Approved Member

Thank you guys for such a quick and informative response, keep it coming. Didnt gil losi use a modified dogfighter to win the first ifmar worlds?
Almost all my posts will be edited because I know what I want to write, but my fingers always hit the wrong keys.

Typicray@rainmans
Approved Member

I need to give you guys some more info i think, i am a Senior in High school. I am doing a report about the unknown history of R/C cars. I have been racing for over six years and built a Tamiya grasshopper re release a year or two ago and have loved vintage R/C ever since.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I think the Optima changed everything for 1/10 4WD, not the Yoke. Before the Optima came along, 4WDs often raced alongside 2WD cars because, hey, they never won anyway. Then the lightweight Optima appeared and kicked all kinds of ass. The chassis was different than anything else out there (for 4WD anyway) with its ladder-style frame. I believe it was 1986 when Optimas won 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, and 10th place in the ROAR Nats. Optimas and their 4WD dominance of electric 1/10 offroad racing might've been responsible for rule changes segregrating 4WD and 2WD classes.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Typicray@rainmans
Approved Member

Coelacanth wrote:I think the Optima changed everything for 1/10 4WD, not the Yoke. Before the Optima came along, 4WDs often raced alongside 2WD cars because, hey, they never won anyway. Then the lightweight Optima appeared and kicked all kinds of ass. The chassis was different than anything else out there (for 4WD anyway) with its ladder-style frame. I believe it was 1986 when Optimas won 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, and 10th place in the ROAR Nats. Optimas and their 4WD dominance of electric 1/10 offroad racing might've been responsible for rule changes segregrating 4WD and 2WD classes.
then it was very pivotal, I think that it was posted above that the yoke was pivotal because it was easy to work on. That definitely does not take away the validity of your point, however.

Typicray@rainmans
Approved Member

How important do you guys feel the tamiya sand scorcher was

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

I think the tamiya sand scorcher/rough rider was the first real popular rc offroad vehicle.

reign79
Approved Member

Post by reign79 »

The Rc1....... The car that launched Associated, the first car designed after a slot car with solid pan and wide rear foam and narrow front tires with most the weight on the rear axel for great under steer drivability that eventually was the main design for the rc100/200/300/12e/12i/12L/10L.
Ryan

trkneller
Approved Member

Post by trkneller »

I like to think that the Scorpion was the first real manufacturers attempt at a competition 2wd buggy. Unfortunately for it, though, the RC10 came out and literally changed the face of competitive racing. 8)

I also think the JRX2 was very important as it finally brought competition to the RC10's dominance.

I know the Ultima took a jab at the RC10, but it was weaker, in my opinion, simply based upon that tranny design. It was an inferior tranny before the Ultima came out.

Finally, while I am at it, I think another game changer was the RC10 with Stealth tranny. Same car, but that transmission was a game changer. That's why it's still here.