Vintage Motors

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Vintage Motors

Post by Eau Rouge »

I have a serious line on about 55-60 new and lightly used vintage race motors from the mid 80s to early 90s, from various manufacturers. Would anyone be interested in any of them if I buy the lot?

doug

speedemall
Approved Member

Post by speedemall »

i am
They call me.........THE COLLECTOR!! Collector and restorer of everything vintage

bscotti
Approved Member

Post by bscotti »

me too!

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

I got a few photos last night of the used motors, and they all look like they were VERY well cared for. It looks like there are both stock and mod motors, from Trinity, Reedy, Black Magic, Fantom, Losi Revolution, Twister, Kyosho, Litespeed, Speedworks, Race Prep, B&R and even a couple of Astro Flight drag motors.

I'm waiting on the new motor photos to arrive, but he's already given me a price for the whole lot, with a ton of new brushes and springs. While useless in today's world of racing, they will be perfect for really putting the finishing touches on a vintage restoration.

I'll keep you guys posted.

doug

qctires
Approved Member

Checkpoint GOLD

Post by qctires »

apexspeed wrote:I got a few photos last night of the used motors, and they all look like they were VERY well cared for. It looks like there are both stock and mod motors, from Trinity, Reedy, Black Magic, Fantom, Losi Revolution, Twister, Kyosho, Litespeed, Speedworks, Race Prep, B&R and even a couple of Astro Flight drag motors.

I'm waiting on the new motor photos to arrive, but he's already given me a price for the whole lot, with a ton of new brushes and springs. While useless in today's world of racing, they will be perfect for really putting the finishing touches on a vintage restoration.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Checkpoint came out with a fast motor in the mid 80'. This is the Checkpoint Gold. Do you know of anyone who has one or maybe an old TRINITY motor with the tiny slotcar brushes?

doug

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Re: Checkpoint GOLD

Post by Eau Rouge »

qctires wrote:Checkpoint came out with a fast motor in the mid 80'. This is the Checkpoint Gold. Do you know of anyone who has one or maybe an old TRINITY motor with the tiny slotcar brushes?

I have been collecting old Checkpoints for a while now, and yes, they are difficult to come by. There were quite a few different versions of the original Big Jim Greenemeyer Checkpoints, but all were almost identical in design (Platinum, Gold, etc). For many years, they were the only all "Made in America" racing motors—machined endbells, slot car brushes, cold-rolled motor cans—all very fast hand-wound motors. They were made from 1984 to 1990, and the new Checkpoint owned by Steve O'Donnell has nothing to do with them except in name.

There are a few guys who actively collect them, and a couple who have LOTS of disposable income to throw a them when they pop up. The Platinum IIs are extrodinarily rare, and pull massive cash in on the second-hand market. One sold a few years ago for somewhere in the area of $200 to Eddie O of Team Brood fame, IIRC.

The design also gave way to the original Team Fantom motors, which were very similar, though they used full-sized 05 brushes. Between Fantom and Checkpoint, they were the fastest motors I ever saw in racing.

d