So what made you get into "hobby grade" rc's?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Doc J33P
Approved Member

Re: So what made you get into "hobby grade" rc's?

Post by Doc J33P »

Guys, thanks for adding to the thread. I love reading about these cool experiences. Seems that most of us had a dealing with crap and looked the other way. I for one am glad I steered that direction.

To this day I amaze my friends when they see my rc collection. You would be amazed at the people who never have realized that there are "quality" rc components out there.

Oh, and if you are reading this and have not contributed, lets hear it!!!

:mrgreen:
35 years of RC and still broke!

besty22
Approved Member

Post by besty22 »

Hi,
I was given a very cheap old Taiyo Jeep that ran on 4 AA batteries for my first car. I loved the idea of a car that you could control the car just by moving two sticks. Problem was it had about a 10m turning circle :)
However the thirst for faster and better quality cars was always there. I scrimped and saved and with the help of a mate bought a Metro Bullet 4wd in black. I loved that car with its twin motors and H & L on the gearbox. Then i saw the tamiya cars you had to build yourself. I liked that idea. So I was in the process of saving for a Frog when
A neighbour of mine had a Mugen bulldog for sale with every spare imaginable for $200 so out went the Bullet and i bought the Bulldog when i was 16.
It was sweet, 4 wheel steering electronic speed control (Pretty rare in 1988) which I quickly blew up. Could not beleive i killed the esc so i kept it and the car packed away all these years and had the esc repaired last year ready for the restoration project.
From the Bulldog on it has been an on again off again obsession. Which is in the on again phase at the moment.
The first actual kit I bought was a Hornet which I still have. Though it is well used and beaten up. Then the 870c, RC10 and so on.
Respect - Hard Earned but Easily Lost

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

scr8p wrote:T&L is still alive and kickin'.

I'm in Allentown at the moment and went over to T&L this morning. It was nice to see that not much has changed in 10 years....still super-organized :wink: .

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

My brothers-in-law. Back in the late 80’s – early 90’s, my wife and I lived in southern California. While up for one of the regular family weekends at her parents house, those two characters couldn’t wait to show me the new toys they had in the back of their trucks – one had an RC10T and the other had a Losi something or another. Well, after some trips to the area racetracks, I was hooked. It wasn’t long after that I walked out of my LHS with a 7001 RC10T kit, Novak 410-M5 and Airtronics XL2P. I still have all of it, and the truck has been recently refurbished back to its former race trim. In fact, it’ll also be my VONATs stadium truck entry (if I end up going). :)

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

My father and his buddies were into rc planes in the early 80s. I started flying in 1983 or so. The LHS had mostly planes so I didn't know too much about the buggys, but a few of my father's friends eventually bought some. I think my dad picked up a used Wild Willy and a Grasshopper that we got running. Christmas of 1985 brought my first rc that I built new-- a Tamiya Hotshot. A lot of delivered papers later I had a RC10. I would switch the receiver between those two until I could afford a second radio (Airtronics)-- no small task with a Hotshot if anyone is familiar with the enclosed radio box (similar to a Fox).
I look back now and it was great time spent with my dad learning how to use tools, solder, etc. My kids are starting to do the same and I love spending the time with them, knowing they may look back and remember these as happy days. :D
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

aeiou wrote: In fact, it’ll also be my VONATs stadium truck entry (if I end up going). :)
You better end up going... you won't regret it... well maybe a little, but what is life without a bit of regret... :lol:
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!