Scan request: RC10 set up for carpet oval circa 1991

The place to request any scanned items you may need.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Scan request: RC10 set up for carpet oval circa 1991

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I read about that a while back and it would be a cream dream, but I have dial-up at home. A satellite is the only hi-speed option due to the location of my house. I already have two(one for locals and one for HD) and I'm afraid a 3rd satellite would make me a Jeff Foxworthy joke. :lol:
I assume you can transfer the files? If so, I guess I could download them at my parent's house or a friend that lives in town and transfer it to my computer. The sad thing is, I pay $12 for dial-up and you can get cable or DSL for $20. If they ever get to my neighborhood I'm all over it. It's amazing that they aren't really. I live just a little outside city limits. I wonder if work would let me download it here?? :roll: Doubtful!! :evil:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

Yeah, once they're downloaded, you can do whatever you want with them. There's no DRM or anything like that.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

hey thumb, i think i found the article your after. it's not switched to a mid motor setup, but it has short arms on the left and wide ones on the right. july 1989. i'll try to post it tomorrow, unless someone beats me to it.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

scr8p wrote:hey thumb, i think i found the article your after. it's not switched to a mid motor setup, but it has short arms on the left and wide ones on the right. july 1989. i'll try to post it tomorrow, unless someone beats me to it.
Thanks! :D RCCA never got back with me. I've only had a subscription for 20+ years :evil:
Oh well, I'm sure they only get about a million e-mails a day. I was going to do the whole download every article thing and transfer them home, but I would never get around to it so a scan would be greatly appreciated! I was way into gearbox oval at the time and must have referenced that article 1000x. I just wish I'd kept all my RCCAs, then I wouldn't have this problem. Thanks again! 8)
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

ROH73 wrote:Just an FYI:

For a $20 yearly membership, you can download all of RCCA's issues in pdf format from 1986 to 2004. Join here:

http://www.rccaraction.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&type=gen&mod=Core+Pages&gid=B577B97C8F6B48AAB06AAB4BEACF294E

Unfortunately, the advertisements are not included, but all the articles are there. I finally finished downloading everything the other day; it's about 5 gigs or so. I have all the issues from 1986 to 1992, but it's nice to have the digital version for quick reference and the issues since '92.

Regards,

Robert
I just did that. I wish they would put the more recent issues on there in PDF form as well; it's a pain to have to use the website to access them.

Or it would be if I cared about anything they published after 2004.

The April 1989 issue, the first one I ever bought and still have, has an article on make a custom fiberglass chassis for an on-road RC10, but really nothing anybody here needs more than a single picture to figure out.

In the November 1989 issue with is a Budget Racer column with plans ride-height adjusters for an RC10 spring car. It was quite cleaver really, he used upper shock mounts that could pivot and be bolted into another position to raise of lower the car, which would be more effective than using the spring preload. I have an idea for using a screw and nut setup, so the arm could be raised and lowered with a wrench from outside the car.

I can't find it right now, but between April 1989 and mid 1990 there was an article on building an RC10 oval car with an offset suspension, but again it's nothing people here couldn't figure out: He built a plate to mount the right rear arm mount further out and used a Tamiya Boomerang dogbone, then put an longer Andy's front suspension arm on the right front.

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

There was also an article that ran in two separate issues of RCCA, I'm thinking late '92 or '94, that showed how to build an LTO RC10 parking lot racer. I have the second issue and will scan it, but I can't seem find the first issue.

The car was crazy. The gold tub was cut and an aluminum plate was added waaay to the left. It was lowered to the ground and had a spring-loaded sprint wing setup for downforce. It also had Pro-Line Strikers and a diff that was glued together.

If anyone has the first issue, please scan it.

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

LTO_Dave wrote:There was also an article that ran in two separate issues of RCCA, I'm thinking late '92 or '94, that showed how to build an LTO RC10 parking lot racer. I have the second issue and will scan it, but I can't seem find the first issue.

The car was crazy. The gold tub was cut and an aluminum plate was added waaay to the left. It was lowered to the ground and had a spring-loaded sprint wing setup for downforce. It also had Pro-Line Strikers and a diff that was glued together.

If anyone has the first issue, please scan it.
I brought this up in the RC10 thread, finally found the article. I hope these are big enough to read. Photographs don't give much to go on unfortunately.

I want to emulate the look with a buggy-styled Supermodified body, with the battery way offset on the chassis.

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

ROH73 wrote:Just an FYI:

For a $20 yearly membership, you can download all of RCCA's issues in pdf format from 1986 to 2004. Join here:

http://www.rccaraction.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&type=gen&mod=Core+Pages&gid=B577B97C8F6B48AAB06AAB4BEACF294E

Unfortunately, the advertisements are not included, but all the articles are there. I finally finished downloading everything the other day; it's about 5 gigs or so. I have all the issues from 1986 to 1992, but it's nice to have the digital version for quick reference and the issues since '92.

Regards,

Robert
I did this and it's great. They have pulled the pages with full-page ads in them completely; if there was any kind of magazine content on it then the ads on those pages stayed. Their layout strategy was either terrible or brilliant; you have to follow an article jumping several pages at a time, often for just a few paragraphs.

To get an idea of how bad the magazine became by 2004 versus the late 80s. If you look at the numbers printed on the pages versus the numbers of images in the file, you can see how many pages were left out. In the late 80s it was about 50 pages. A year later it was nearly 100. By 1995 it was 150 pages short. By 2004, a 265 page magazine had 160 pages deleted from the scan. All of these were just full pages of ads.

Think about it, the pages left over are at least part ads anyway. By 2004 you paid for 265 pages, and got 105 readable pages (including the front cover). I don't even want to go in and print how many pages have what percentage of their space taken up by ads.

There was an article about a year ago that said if The New York Times magazine just GAVE every subscriber an Amazon Kindle digital reader, and the subscriber paid the regular rate on there they would save so much in production costs that it would quickly offset the cost of the units.