Tamiya Sport Tuned motor vs 27T stock motor

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Tamiya Sport Tuned motor vs 27T stock motor

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I'm trying to figure out a motor combo to run in a Clodbuster at next year's vintage nationals. All the classes require 27T motors. I don't know of any adjustable timing or zero degree 27T motors. I was thinking of trying a pair of Sport Tuned motors. Does anybody know how their power would compare to a couple of 27T motors? I'm trying to figure out their specs on Tower, but I'm not having much luck.

aconsola
Approved Member

Re: Tamiya Sport Tuned motor vs 27T stock motor

Post by aconsola »

you could just put 27t armatures into mod motor cans and do the timing yourself. it wouldn't exactly be roar legal, but there are no reverse rotation stock motors that I know of.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

MelvinsArmy wrote:I'm trying to figure out a motor combo to run in a Clodbuster at next year's vintage nationals. All the classes require 27T motors. I don't know of any adjustable timing or zero degree 27T motors. I was thinking of trying a pair of Sport Tuned motors. Does anybody know how their power would compare to a couple of 27T motors? I'm trying to figure out their specs on Tower, but I'm not having much luck.
They would run cooler and run longer, but I think they would only be about 80% as powerful as a good Trinity 27T stocker. Could make it easier to drive in race conditions which might be good. I'd say their torque would be close to the same. I've never done a head to head exactly. Someone may know more than me, but that'd be my opinion. I think they're around 18,000 RPM.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Hmm. Sounds like it might be easier just to try to convince the organizers to change the rules for MT class.

I do have a pair of old Trinity Serpentine motors laying around. I believe they were 13x2 or something like that. Would it really be as simple as just taking the armature out of a 27T motor and putting it in that can? I've never done a stock to modified swap like that.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

MelvinsArmy wrote:Hmm. Sounds like it might be easier just to try to convince the organizers to change the rules for MT class.

I do have a pair of old Trinity Serpentine motors laying around. I believe they were 13x2 or something like that. Would it really be as simple as just taking the armature out of a 27T motor and putting it in that can? I've never done a stock to modified swap like that.
I haven't tried that either. I just took modified armatures and put them in stck cans back when I raced. Just kidding. :lol: With my driving it wouldn't have mattered anyway. Are you just looking to be as powerful as possible or is there a specific purpose you're looking for from the motors? I would worry about efficiency over the course of a race day with swapping armatures. Things like that can become a weak link in a rig. I don't know of any reason it wouldn't work though.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I'm just looking to build a Clod to run at the vintage nats that will be legal. I don't want to have to run a slower truck because I can't find a powerful enough legal motor. The rules for MT state that dual motor trucks are allowed, I think we might need to make some kind of rule change for this class, as there are no 27T zero degree or adjustable timing motors.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

MelvinsArmy wrote:I'm just looking to build a Clod to run at the vintage nats that will be legal. I don't want to have to run a slower truck because I can't find a powerful enough legal motor. The rules for MT state that dual motor trucks are allowed, I think we might need to make some kind of rule change for this class, as there are no 27T zero degree or adjustable timing motors.
The Sport Tuned with some wicked batteries would probably make a Clod go as fast as you'd be able to handle on a course. Not because of you, but even a pro driver just because of the nature of the truck. Not to knock the truck either. It's a great ride, but just not typically designed for off road racing. Of course you know that even better than me which is probably why racing it appeals to you. I think it's a cool way to go. The Sport Tuned are cheap enough to at least try before doing anything crazy or more expensive. Even if you go another way those are great motors to have around for other cars. Decent speed and long run times.
Ken

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

MelvinsArmy wrote: Would it really be as simple as just taking the armature out of a 27T motor and putting it in that can?
yes, it should be.
I have done it a couple times. It has been a while though. As I recall, the armatures from a stock "silver can" motor are a little shorter than the trinity/epic performance oriented stockers and will require a bunch of shims. I think that a modern stock racing armature will drop right into a mod can with minimal shimming.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:
MelvinsArmy wrote: It's a great ride, but just not typically designed for off road racing. Of course you know that even better than me which is probably why racing it appeals to you. I think it's a cool way to go.
Somebody needs to try out a modified Clodbuster. :lol: They might not get around the track as well as a T4, but they do get around pretty good when they are stretched, 4linked, oil shocked and properly set up.

Thanks Anthony, I think might do a little experimenting with my armatures and cans, see if I can figure something out.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

MelvinsArmy wrote:
THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:
MelvinsArmy wrote: It's a great ride, but just not typically designed for off road racing. Of course you know that even better than me which is probably why racing it appeals to you. I think it's a cool way to go.
Somebody needs to try out a modified Clodbuster. :lol: They might not get around the track as well as a T4, but they do get around pretty good when they are stretched, 4linked, oil shocked and properly set up.

Thanks Anthony, I think might do a little experimenting with my armatures and cans, see if I can figure something out.
Hell YEAH! Good point. Go big or go home!! :mrgreen:
Ken

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Yeah, I'm not about to pull a Halgar and try to run my Clod in stock form. :lol:

illshou
Approved Member

Post by illshou »

I remember years ago that trinity used to produce a reverse rotation stock motor specifically for the clod that I believe was 27t

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

The Trinity/Epic reverse rotation 27 was sold as a Peak Nightmare, I ran one in a M02 RWD chassis, super fast. I'd think you'd be able to find forward and reverse versions around somewhere... Or just build a couple of old cheap speedgems with 27t arms from the newer rebuildable stock motors that are becoming obsolete.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

The fella who ran his clod at the vonats was running newer 27T stock motors.. What was his setup?

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I asked him and he just said that he wired one for reverse rotation and didn't do anything about the timing.

Thanks for the tip Temple, I gotta keep an eye out for those motors.