RC10 Graphite Team Car

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC10TeamCar

RC10 Graphite Team Car

Post by RC10TeamCar »

Hey, everyone. How's it going? I am new to the site and I just got back into using my RC10 Graphite Team Car after about 10+ years. I just rebuilt the whole car and it is in great shape. However, there are some problems I am having with the car.
The first problem I have is the dogbones are rubbing against the inside of the rear A-Arms. All suspension settings on the car are set to stock. The shocks are not leaking and the springs seem good. All parts are original.
The second problem I have is the spur gear in the Stealth transmission wobbles slightly. Is this common? The car seems to run fine and is quiet. All parts are original and stock. Should I rebuild the tranny with new parts? I am thinking something must be bent or worn out.
The third problem is the steering servo mounts are stripped out. Is there anyway to fix this? I don't want to use the black replacement pieces that AE sells.
Lastly, does anyone know a place that sells replacement Team Car parts that are white? It seems that a lot of replacement parts are black. I need a new front shock mounting kit, and backup parts in case something breaks; like a stealth transmission case. I appreciate any and all help. Thanks.

BTW, great site. Let's keep our vintage RC10's runnin'. They're the best rc cars of all time!

Mikeyboy
Approved Member

Re: RC10 Graphite Team Car

Post by Mikeyboy »

Some pictures would help to see whats going on.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Be sure that your rear shocks have 3 (generally white) internal plastic spacers, total lenght should be about 3/4 inches. Your best bet for white plastic parts is eBay and members on this forum, but be prepared to pay a good price for NIP ones. Since you plan on running it, I would simply get black ones, there are way easier to find and will not yellow or look dirty after a few runs. On a side note, I would say that the tranny case is one of the few parts that worn out very slowly if well maintained. A picture or two would definitely help for the steering and spur gear issue.
Welcome aboard!

RC10TeamCar

Post by RC10TeamCar »

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll have to take apart the shocks to see if the spacers are there, but I believe they are. I'll try to take a pic of where the dogbones are rubbing to give you guys a better idea of whats going on. The wear on the A-Arms is minor, but I would like to stop it from continuing.

As for the spur gear, I don't think a pic would help. When I take out the motor and spin the rear tires by hand, I can see the gear wobble slightly side to side. I don't think the gear is bent or deformed in any way. I'm thinking it has something to do with the Drive Gear and Shaft. Either the shaft is bent, the bearing is worn out, or the tranny case itself is worn. I leaning towards rebuilding the tranny.

As for the white plastic servo mounts, I was thinking of filling them with JB Weld and then re-tap out the holes. I came across this idea on the internet. I don't know if it will work. Currently, I attached the steering servo to the chassis with double sided tape. This seems to be working well. I can live with it for now, but I would like to have those white mounts back on the car eventually. I like having that stock OEM look.

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

Send me your address and name and I will send you out a pair of slightly used white servo mounts n/c. They won't be pearly white but the holes will be good.

On the spur gear, does the end of the shaft and or the nut wobble too? I wouldn't be surprised if its just the gear is a little warped. I've seen it happpen before.

RC10TeamCar

Post by RC10TeamCar »

The shaft and nut move in/out and up/down very slightly. I think this might be causing the spur gear to wobble. Are these normal tolerances? Or should the shaft not move at all? I'm thinking of putting in a new drive gear and shaft to see if it goes away.

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

Sounds like the bushings/bearings might be wore out.

vintage racer
Approved Member

Post by vintage racer »

Nearly all the rc10s I have bought have had striped servo mounts,I just fit longer screws.Allways works a treat.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

RC10TeamCar wrote:The shaft and nut move in/out and up/down very slightly. I think this might be causing the spur gear to wobble. Are these normal tolerances? Or should the shaft not move at all? I'm thinking of putting in a new drive gear and shaft to see if it goes away.
If that tranny has a Ti top shaft the tolerances were very poor, or it is missing a few shims