Losi Gearbox fitted to a British Buggy

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Losi Gearbox fitted to a British Buggy

Post by DerbyDan »

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the 'Other marques' section or in here..... Anyway thought i'd share with you my Mardave Cobra that I converted to run a Losi XX gearbox.

I'm guessing not many of you guys would be familiar with the company Mardave?? They were/are a British company who make simple & cheap R/C cars. The Cobra was released in the early 90s & with a price tag of under £100 for a 2wd buggy that (in TQ guise) was fully ballraced, had alloy bodied shocks & a slipper clutch it proved a bit of a hit with the club racer.

By the time I started working at 18 (95ish) I was running a Losi XX as my outdoor car for big meetings and the Cobra was used for indoor club nights during the week. The car actually proved very effective, set-up for running on carpet using Schumacher's 'velcro-like' micro spike tyres, so much so I campaigned it in preference over the Losi at larger indoor meetings over the winter months.

The car was very precise & lively yet pretty easy to drive... the car's only draw back seemed to be the in-efficient gearbox which was filled with very course pitch gears - that, no matter how hot the motor was, it seemed to have a terminal top speed. Hence the idea of fitting the XX gearbox. The gearbox itself was donated from my mate's worn out Losi & the parts to fit it, I designed myself & another friend machined them up for me from my drawings - in fact these parts were made at Ilmor Engineering, who at the time built the Mercedes engines both for the Mclaren F1 team & Penske Indy car team! 8)

Some pictures

mikedealer
Approved Member

Re: Losi Gearbox fitted to a British Buggy

Post by mikedealer »

very nice dan, and i got a really dumb quick question, do you know what angle is the front kickup on this chassis? 20? 30? degrees?

nice fit btw

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

Thats pretty cool, now it has a Losi heart :D
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

nice buggy ... i was looking at these... how are the new ones??? i heard the old ones had bad trannys ..(one of the inernal gears would strip out ) can i get one in usa??? if so how much usd??

vintage racer
Approved Member

Post by vintage racer »

Thats a great looking buggy,I like the paint sceeme.I have 2 Mardave Meteors and raced one as a kid.Now Ill have to get myself a Cobra to add to the collection.Nice modifacation too.

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Nice clean looking buggy, and a good story. I’ve got a soft spot for tranny changes, done a few myself, cool stuff. :D

Are the rear arm inner pivots custom too?

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Bongo Fury; yes the wishbone pivots are custom made also, the original gearbox had these, along with the rear shock mount fixing all moulded into its casing, so these parts had to be machined for the fit of the new gearbox as the Losi unit is modular & doesn't have these parts, however in some way thats what made the conversion simpler.

Longboardnj; I doubt if the Cobra is available in the States, but i'm sure if you contacted Mardave direct they'd be happy to ship you one? Price-wise, their website lists it at £104 (about $160). The current Cobra is a re-release model after being un-available for some time & feature some improvements - some of those gearbox related I believe, however I think the weaknesss in the gearboxes have only been highlighted with people running brushless systems, I can remember running some pretty wild (brushed) motors through my car (with original gearbox) without any problem. Mardave Website... http://mardaveonline.co.uk/

MikeDealer; Not 100% sure on the front kick-up - its more like 30 deg than 20, but i'll check it get back to you. To be honest these things used to bend after a heavy impact, so I can't guarantee that what my chassis is, is what the manufacturer intended! LOL :D