New Motor in a vintage RC10

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

longboardnj
Approved Member

Re: New Motor in a vintage RC10

Post by longboardnj »

JHarris wrote:Those numbers are what's sanctioned for racing. Stock runs 27t brushed or 17.5 brushless. Superstock runs 19t brushed or 13.5 brushless. Performance can vary from car to car and driver to driver.
ok that makes sence.. i was comparing rpms when i bought my 10.5 not classes thats why i had the question....
I wouldn't do anything lower than a 13.5 in a 6-gear to be safe. You'd probably be best off with any of the 17.5s out there.
17.5 really???i was thinking dont get anything higher then 13.5... 17.5 for anything besides racing seems to be a waste of $$$ to me... have people ran 6gears with a 10.5 and had problems?? i was sayin 10.5 because when i was spending the cash on a brushless set up i wanted some speed .. maybe its just my lrp 10.5 sport ,but 10.5 seems alot slower then my friends mamba 5700 (a setup i would not use in a 6 gear).. is this correct or is my 10.5 sport just slower then other 10.5s?? (i bought it new) i ask this stuff cause i just know what ive seen, my 10.5 and mamba 5700... as far as the 6 gear goes i dont think its that bad... ive ran them with 17 turn (brushed) 3300 nimh (race pack) with no problems.. did you guys with 6gear problems run full bearings (outdrive bearings) and new Black Idler Gears??

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

For bashing around with a 25 year old car, how much speed do you want? Any car not built for racing is at risk of blowing things up. Upgrade the car if you want to blaze up and down the street with insane horsepower, but if you want to play around and not be repairing things, as I said before, if it were me, I wouldn't motor more than a 17.5 in a non race prepped 6-gear RC10.

As with anything, take it for what it's worth and do what you feel is best.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

I run my 6 gear (black idlers) with a 27turn P2K and geared properly it is pretty snappy on a small dirt track (approx 55'x90'). I've never had a problem with the transmission with the new idlers, even using 2s lipo.
For me, I have other toys to make ballistic-- the gold pan is a well balanced race machine, even to this day, and I like mine set up that way. :D
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

For bashing around with a 25 year old car, how much speed do you want? Any car not built for racing is at risk of blowing things up. Upgrade the car if you want to blaze up and down the street with insane horsepower, but if you want to play around and not be repairing things, as I said before, if it were me, I wouldn't motor more than a 17.5 in a non race prepped 6-gear RC10.

As with anything, take it for what it's worth and do what you feel is best.
what you say is true and good advice.. my point is most people dont want to spend $150 to go the same speed as a $30 brushed motor