Easy Rattle Can Paint Schemes

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

i crash cars
Approved Member

Easy Rattle Can Paint Schemes

Post by i crash cars »

Hi everyone- 1st post here. Im restoring my old RC10T Sport (the cheap one w/ bushings). The last time the truck ran was around 2004 and has since put in storage. I'd like to add a new body, electrics, radio, etc... From what I unsderstand I can find reproduction RC10T bodies on this site and other sites online. I don't have much in the way of paint skills, no airbrush, etc... Could someone please post ideas or pictures for easy rattle can schemes that would look nice on my truck?

Thanks!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Easy Rattle Can Paint Schemes

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I too am artistically challenged and have been reduced to rattle cans and tape. I just use the excuse that I’m going for the old school look. I’d just find 2-3 colors that you like and then look around for inspiration. These were done with just a couple colors and masking tape. Not as dramatic as a lot in here, but it beats clear.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

My artistic ability when it comes to painting bodies consists of the above.

i crash cars
Approved Member

Post by i crash cars »

That F150 body looks really good. Do you know if that will fit the RC10T?

Thanks!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

i crash cars wrote:That F150 body looks really good. Do you know if that will fit the RC10T?

Thanks!
Others will have to answer all technical questions. I just hang around staring at the rides and bringing the overall intelligence quotient of the site down a notch. I kinda doubt it though because the HPI RS4mt seems to have a very specific body layout that might make it tough to adapt to other trucks. I’m sure it could be made to fit, but there’s probably a better choice out there.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

One other thing. If it’s going to be a runner I’d search eBay for some cheap ball bearings. Even if you have to buy them individually you’ll get them dirt cheap. It’s the cheapest easiest performance enhancement you can make for any car. :wink:
Ken

i crash cars
Approved Member

Post by i crash cars »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:One other thing. If it’s going to be a runner I’d search eBay for some cheap ball bearings. Even if you have to buy them individually you’ll get them dirt cheap. It’s the cheapest easiest performance enhancement you can make for any car. :wink:
It was one of the first upgrades that I made. :)

pancar
Approved Member

Post by pancar »

Keep it simple for getting started again. I see too many people try to attempt too much in the beginning and end up with failure. For me the thing that made the biggest improvement in painting was knowing how to work the masking tape. Too many good paint jobs are ruined by paint bleeding under the tape, or vinyl masks. The whole key is to use the back of your fingernail and MAKE SURE the masking is stuck along all the edges.

Put your tape on the inside of the body then flip it over and start working down the tape. Since the bodies are clear you can see exactly where the tape has stuck and where it may have lifted. Once you are happy, start spraying. BE PATIENT! Use several light coats, letting them set up in between coats. Also make sure to spray the dark colors first then the light ones. Otherwise you will end up with some pretty funky results. Good Luck.

Tom
Years ago I started off with nothing ... and I still have most of it left.
-----------------------------------------
You know that as soon as they make something "idiotproof" they'll just invent a better idiot!

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

Well, not sure how EASY it is, but these have been my "Team Colors" for quite a while.

With my B4 and B44 I wanted to change it up some, and add a bit of contrast to the rear of the buggies. Keep in mind, this was all rattle can. I already have a couple bodies in mind for the next go around, but those will get an pro airbrush treatment.

So back to my "team". The colors were done by a former co-worker/team mate. I really liked the colors and have kept them over the years of racing. My first was a T2, and later I picked up an RS4MT. As my racing continued, i transitioned into buggies, and haven't raced tuck since. Currently, my B4 and B44 are the weapons of choice.

Ne next couple are my Drift and Rally shells. The Evo was my attempt at bright and attention grabbing. Then I picked up the Yokomo Levin body and decided it needed a similar treatment. The Mercedes is just a simple 2tone gunmetal and my attempt at color-change (which is also at the rear of my off road cars.). The Supra was one i had masked a long time ago and finally decided to paint. The Option logo was hand cut and masked. The pink corolla was a body laying around at the Hobby Shop I work for. I took it home and literally threw some color on it. The paint took my 5 min. The stickers..... well that took longer!

MOmo
Attachments
new and old
new and old
b4bug.JPG
teamtrucks2.JPG
B4
B4
The 4wd
The 4wd
Evo Rally
Evo Rally
Levin Coupe
Levin Coupe
benz.JPG
Option Supra
Option Supra
The 86
The 86

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

One of mine, you can see some errors but a decal solved it.

treehugger
Approved Member

Post by treehugger »

i crash cars wrote:Hi everyone- 1st post here. Im restoring my old RC10T Sport (the cheap one w/ bushings). The last time the truck ran was around 2004 and has since put in storage. I'd like to add a new body, electrics, radio, etc... From what I unsderstand I can find reproduction RC10T bodies on this site and other sites online. I don't have much in the way of paint skills, no airbrush, etc... Could someone please post ideas or pictures for easy rattle can schemes that would look nice on my truck?

Thanks!

here is my latest creation thanks to Brandon for the body

Paul
Attachments
002.JPG
001.JPG

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Heres a few that I did recently on my vintage race cars.

All rattle can except for the frog.

Will get some better pics later.

Cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International