XX4 - worth getting?

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bormac
Approved Member

XX4 - worth getting?

Post by Bormac »

Just seeking opinions on what people make of this car. Im thinking of tracking a nice one down....hmmm?
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Brandon G
Approved Member

Re: XX4 - worth getting?

Post by Brandon G »

The inneficient 3 belt drive train is what killed this car in the beginning. Battery technology just wasn't there yet to support it. Yes, they made do, but you had to have one helluva pack to get runtime out of it. BUT, now with the help of BL & Lipo, I think this car is definetely an option. Some say it is one of the best handling 4wd's out there. I think at this point part availability might prove troublesome though.

DumbstixLars
Approved Member

Post by DumbstixLars »

I haven't had any trouble finding parts, they are still made fortunately, I like the cars so much I just bought another one. 8)

Alex B
Approved Member

Post by Alex B »

I just got one ebay, although i haven't received yet. My first car other than a Yoke. I got it to run.
:shock:

DHC6
Approved Member

Post by DHC6 »

It's defiantly worth getting. I love mine, and on rougher tracks is handles much better then my XXX-4. Like Brandon said, with lipos and brushless, you don't have to worry about the less efficient drive train any more as these systems can more then make up for it. It's a very smooth car, and sounds different as well with it's belt system.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return - Leonardo da Vinci

delsami
Approved Member

Post by delsami »

xx4.....my favorite car of all time. 4wd mod is why i still race, 2wd is just a time filler for me.

the xx4 is the easiest car to drive. it handles bumps the easiest. it is the most consistent car. I have also owned a b44 so i can compare....the b44 has more steering and is awesome too, i just love my smooth xx4!
xxx,lunchbox,blackfoot,t4,2 rc10ce's,rc10 graphite,rc10 worlds car,2 rc10 t's,xx4---GONE:mip4wdrc10,rpm worlds,houge rc10,super clod,sand scorcher,f103,frog,xxxt,b2,b3,tc3,jrx2,fox,yr4-m2 usa,yz-10 many more LOL

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Yeah thanks. No I realy want one! :mrgreen:
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

I recently sold mine. It was my primary race car for the last two years (before that i ran a XXX4). I would have to say that it is a great car, and absolutelly competative. In stock form the car needs allot of work. The worlds addition is a step up, but to be competative at a national level here in the states, there are allot of tweaks that are necessary. If you do end up getting one, I can give you a list of the things I did, as well as the setups I ran. I do also produce a few hop up parts for the cars, mostly to address some of the weak points. If you do end up getting one, LMK, as I have a few spares left, as well as some NIP hopups you should get. Here are some pics, minus some of the hop ups that I ran. -Jeff
Attachments
xx4 top 2.jpg
xx4 front 2.jpg
xx4 back 2.jpg
XX body.JPG

Alex B
Approved Member

Post by Alex B »

JD I would be interested in the mods you have completed on the losi, as I intend to run it as a club racer. I would be interested in any hop up you have, in particular do you have a trinity motor mount?

Alex
:shock:

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Stunning car Jay. Now if I could find a car like that I would be stoked! I will keep you posted when I do. Many thanks- Jason
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Here is a link to show you guys what I have been working on in my spare time. As far as spare hopups, I have NIP Trinity "Kinwald" shock mounts, NIP Trinity "Kinwald" servo mount, and NIP Trinity "Kinwald" blue threaded shock collars. I also have several sets of NIP XX4 parts, that I sold on e-bay, but were never payed for, They will also be up for grabs. I will let Bormac have first crack at them, as it is his thread. If he does not want them, you will be next. I do not have a motor clamp, I sold it when I sold the car :( . -Jeff

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=14815

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

Jay-

Does that 2nd pic show your xx4 with xxx4 front arms? I got a set off the ebay, and it looks like they'll maount right up. It will sacrifice a little wheelbase, but I'm lookng into making that up by spacing the rear hubs back, and maybe even modifying the rear suspension mounts.. What are those rear arms??? I've seen XXXcr or XXXBK VLA arms, but not with that many variable options...

Would love to know all your "tricks" on making the XX4 as robust as possible!

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

Get this car and you will find out the durability of the belts, even when it is store 'properly' and NIB. :lol:

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

No, those are the std XX4 front arms. I looked at puting the XXX4 arms on the XX4, but they are shorter, and it would narrow the track width in the front. I thought about doing it, finding/making some shorter CVD bones, and running wide front rims and tires. I just never got around to it :roll: .
I believe they are XXXcr rear arms, but I drilled another set of inner holes for the outer hinge pin. This allows the car to run flatter, and smoother on a rutted track. That mod in particular really made the car much better. As for the belts, I never had a problem. I ran a 5.5 for a long time, then went to a 6.5 because the 5.5 was just too much motor at my local track. I ran the car for over a year, and never replaced one. I was in good shape however, because the belts I have were relatively new (fresh) whaen I built the car. Older urethane belts can degrade in the package, and strip quickly -BTW.
As far as making the car "robust", There are a few recommendations:

Front hinge pin brace is a must.
White front bulkhead is a good thing.
One piece rear aluminum suspension mount is also very nice. I used the XX rear mount, but I believe the XXX rear mount will also fit, but would require different rear arms and settings.
Shock tower braces, and or the rear tower I designed.
I would also run a solid chassis if you can find one, as they keep the car cleaner, and won't crack like the light weight version.
Aluminum spindles are also good to have. XXX4 front CVD bones instead of the XX4 bones. They are the same length, just beefier.
And make sure you have the proper belts. -Jeff