Anybody ever attempted to make CF or FG Panels?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

nvxwax
Approved Member

Anybody ever attempted to make CF or FG Panels?

Post by nvxwax »

I was thinking, Has anybody ever attempted to make CF or FG panels that could be cut up for making car parts? I can be a cheap person and the price of CF is crazy.

I was also thinking what about Kevlar? I have a source for rolls of Spunlace Kevlar, Non Woven kevlar, non woven fiberglass and woven fiberglass (Its free and Im cheap lol)

I know it sounds crazy but what if you lay out kevlar, resin, kevlar, resin ... in layers on a sheet of glass until you get the required thickness, then another sheet of glass (With spacers the make it a uniform thickness) cure it and cut it?

I know, Its late and i cant sleep lol

Thanks

realoldschooldude
Approved Member

Re: Anybody ever attempted to make CF or FG Panels?

Post by realoldschooldude »

nvxwax wrote:I was thinking, Has anybody ever attempted to make CF or FG panels that could be cut up for making car parts? I can be a cheap person and the price of CF is crazy.

I was also thinking what about Kevlar? I have a source for rolls of Spunlace Kevlar, Non Woven kevlar, non woven figerglass and wover fiberglass (Its free and Im cheap lol)

I know it sounds crazy but what if you lay out kevlar, resin, kevlar, resin ... in layers on a sheet of glass until you get the required thickness, then another sheet of glass (With spacers the make it a uniform thickness) cure it and cut it?

I know, Its late and i cant sleep lol

Thanks
Yeah, that's how to do it - there are even YouTube videos on how to make your own molds and homemade cf parts.
But the problem is that with making the sheets you're talking about, to do them properly you need a hydraulic press, and stretchers for the raw kevlar sheets, and a vacuum chamber to suck out all the air bubbles, to make them a uniform thickness.
ImageImage

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

I have access to some of that equipment, Im looking at a NIP AE rc12l upper pod brace (CF) and its full of air, I could rig up a press but if a press is used i think glass would have to be replaced with a polished metal of some type.

Anybody have an opinion of the different strengths of CF, FG and the different types of kevlar i stated in the post above?

Also, Anybody have a drawing of a RC10 Graphite chassis with all dimensions?

realoldschooldude
Approved Member

Post by realoldschooldude »

nvxwax wrote:I have access to some of that equipment, Im looking at a NIP AE rc12l upper pod brace (CF) and its full of air, I could rig up a press but if a press is used i think glass would have to be replaced with a polished metal of some type.

Anybody have an opinion of the different strengths of CF, FG and the different types of kevlar i stated in the post above?

Also, Anybody have a drawing of a RC10 Graphite chassis with all dimensions?
One other thing I forgot to mention, about making sheets, is an oven to bake it.

Realistically, it'd be easier to buy a chassis and use it to make the mold.

Check out this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAdVO8Rkv6c
ImageImage

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

Great link, I'm going to do some experimenting, Anybody have a piece of an old RC10 Graphite chassis (1" x 2") Im going to test it in an instron machine for break strength to have something to compare to.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

To be honest, unless you're buying the sample pack, their prices are very cost-prohibitive.

For example, you'd need something about 2mm thick, which is 0.079". The closest thing they have in that thickness are pieces 11 x 8" in these thicknesses:

-0.059" = $39.99 :o
-0.125" = $79.49 :shock:

And, that's the DISCOUNTED prices!

There's an eBay store that has much better prices, but the store is closed until Nov. 15, the seller is away and not taking orders until then. A 6 x 7" sheet 2mm thick is only $10. Of course, I realize larger sheets will cost significantly more, but I'd be interested in seeing that store's pricing on larger items when the seller returns Nov. 15. :)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180561925714&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Sort of along the same line. If nothing else it's a very interesting project.
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16647
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

William,

I just check out the eBay store and they have some pretty good prices.

That 3/32 would be perfect for a chassis or braces.

Hmm, I bet that Yoke coming to me would look pretty sweet with a new CF chassis, shock towers, and upper brace :mrgreen:

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Post by Soncho Ponza »

One of the coolest chassis i saw in the 80s. A guy carbonfiber covered balsa for a yoke and they were coo oo ool.. light and strong....