YZ10 Local Find

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Zipster
Approved Member

YZ10 Local Find

Post by Zipster »

Been looking for an interesting (ie: non Tamiya) 4wd project, and stumbled upon a virtually unused YZ10 locally. Guy I bought it from was great, and made me a great deal on it. He's more into new stuff, and has had this since new (anyone know exactly which version/year this is?) No body and a few minor missing parts, but it's extraordinarily clean, and came with the original box, instructions, spare parts & some hop up parts (Bud's bi-level wing, Gold Kyosho shocks - as well as the never built original shocks, etc...).

I was psyched, as I've rarely found much old electric stuff here on Long Island - seems to be the land of large scale nitro....

Also, and almost better, the guy I got it from races (1/10 & 1/18) and let me know that the local track I had heard was closed is definitely still open and has racing weekly! Sweet! I love building & wrenching, but It's a lot more fun if there is actually somewhere to run :D

Anyway, some pics of exactly how it came, and stay tuned for the cleanup and rebuild (stock occasional runner) shortly!
Attachments
YZ10 1-4.jpg
YZ10 2 - 4.jpg
YZ10 4 - 2.jpg
YZ10 5.jpg
YZ10 6 - 2.jpg
YZ10 7 - 2.jpg

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Re: YZ10 Local Find

Post by DerbyDan »

That looks like a great find indeed! 8) A bonus that it has the superb Kyosho shocks fitted (the original Yoke items were pretty dire by all accounts)

Will be nice to give it the odd occational 'gentle' run... you could run around the local track that you mention?

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

wow! bet you were happy when you found this 8) can you take a in focus pic of the shock tower mod leaflet please. should clean up a treat?

Zipster
Approved Member

Post by Zipster »

I was really excited to find it and couldn't believe how nice it is - I can't wait to give it a cleanup & try it out on track.

My plan is to definitely do some light running with it - I'm just not a shelf queen kind of guy - I like my cars really nice, but have no interest in one I can't/won't drive.

Also, in reading my post it sounds like I dislike Tamiya cars, which I definitely don't (in fact one of my upcoming projects is a Supershot), but I've wanted one of the 4wd cars that were really competitive bitd (Yoke, Schumacher, etc...) and less common today.

GJW - I just tried to get a readable photo of the tower cutdown instructions, but it's just not coming out. I'll try to scan it and post that later today/tomorrow. One cool thing is that it came with a spare front tower, so I can have one each way.

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

It's great you're going to run that YZ10, all I can say is you are a brave man! Looks like you have the OG shocks there as well, with a bit of spit and polish and judging by the look of it that would be close to a fresh build, not many people get that privilege :wink:

Zipster
Approved Member

Post by Zipster »

It looks like I'm just missing one set of the plastic parts (one shock's worth) - collar, pistons, etc.. i'll have to try to track those down, but then I should be able to build up the original shocks. After that, I just need a body & decals, which are available repro, and it's missing one servo mount, but I think otherwise it's all there. The chassis has a few small cutouts, but there is a new clean one included.

I think you're right, it's virtually a new build - I can't get it to show up on camera, but the bottom of the suspension arms look like they just came out of the package - the rest is just dusty from sitting - there is just enough visible use so that I won't feel guilty about doing some (occasional & gentle) running.

GJW - I was able to get my scanner working, so here is an image of the shock tower modification instructions (below).

Also, there is some kind of a steering modification kit with a graphite bar which I'll need to figure out - the instructions are both almost illegible and assume you know what it's for already.
Attachments
YZ10 Shock Tower Mod.jpg

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

The version is the 870C by the way. Preceedes the works'91, so : late 80's very early 90's.
check out the timeline thread for more detail.

If you want to keep it as nice as it is ; try to stick to grass tracks

Alex B
Approved Member

Post by Alex B »

Zipster wrote:It looks like I'm just missing one set of the plastic parts (one shock's worth) - collar, pistons, etc.. i'll have to try to track those down, but then I should be able to build up the original shocks. After that, I just need a body & decals, which are available repro, and it's missing one servo mount, but I think otherwise it's all there. The chassis has a few small cutouts, but there is a new clean one included.

I think you're right, it's virtually a new build - I can't get it to show up on camera, but the bottom of the suspension arms look like they just came out of the package - the rest is just dusty from sitting - there is just enough visible use so that I won't feel guilty about doing some (occasional & gentle) running.

GJW - I was able to get my scanner working, so here is an image of the shock tower modification instructions (below).

Also, there is some kind of a steering modification kit with a graphite bar which I'll need to figure out - the instructions are both almost illegible and assume you know what it's for already.

That would account for the AE replacement shock towers being made of fibreglass.
:shock: