Kyosho Turbo Outrage

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Diggley
Approved Member

Kyosho Turbo Outrage

Post by Diggley »

I should've titled this one: "What it is, but never was" :lol: .

Anyhow, this one was a weekend project using left over project parts and an old car I ran back in the 90's.

With the exception of the chassis, this one is a Turbo Ultima.

Mods inc.: TU shock towers, TU shocks, TU ball diff, TU F&R sway bars.

The NOS motor will not be used in this one..

The body is an old Dahm's that was saved from the shed. It was my son's idea (a few years ago) to add all the "extra" decals..

Hours of searching through hundreds of screws, hardware, etc., a half hour of peeling stickers, a few oz. of denatured alchohol &:
Attachments
IMG_0877.JPG
IMG_0878.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG
IMG_0881.JPG
IMG_0882.JPG
IMG_0884.JPG
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

Diggley
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho Turbo Outrage

Post by Diggley »

:D
Attachments
IMG_0885.JPG
IMG_0886.JPG
IMG_0887.JPG
IMG_0888.JPG
IMG_0889.JPG
IMG_0890.JPG
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

Attachments
IMG_0891.JPG
IMG_0892.JPG
IMG_0893.JPG
IMG_0894.JPG
IMG_0895.JPG
Projects and shelfers:

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

A few more tweeks & ideas..

I still need to finish rear body mounts and touch up the worn paint.

There's not much I can do about the scar on the roof though. About 10 years ago, a buddy of mine thought it was funny to T-bone it with his Blackfoot and then hit full throttle to separate the two. The diff unloaded on the Blackfoot and the pin spiked tire on his truck burned a friction gash in the roof.
Attachments
IMG_1443.JPG
IMG_0896.JPG
IMG_0897.JPG
IMG_0898.JPG
Projects and shelfers:

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Thats actually pretty cool. I wonder if some of those Ultima parts will fit a Raider.

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

That's nuts Diggley. I have nearly the exact same car sitting in my garage. MY Ultima pro project netted me two parts car outrages. I recently threw composite towers, and a ball diff at mine, but I;m kind of holding out for some alternative chassis. Mine also has Andy's arms, but I;m going to try out RPM jrx2 h arms on the rear...

My limiting factor is that darn cluster gear... Between the 3 parts cars I started with, not one had the gear or a cover. I managed to land one gear through a trade here on the board, but haven't had any more luck. I'm trying to come up with an alternative tranny. (Avoiding LW2 and Triumph right now also, due to $$$$) I've got one idea, that I hope to soon post, but need to get parts in hand first to be sure it'll work..

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

Lowgear wrote:Thats actually pretty cool. I wonder if some of those Ultima parts will fit a Raider.

Thanks!

I think the Raider is a different animal all together. I haven't seen one in awhile, but I think it was a different chassis & trans. The Ultima wheels & shocks might work though.
Projects and shelfers:

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

losiXXXman wrote:That's nuts Diggley. I have nearly the exact same car sitting in my garage. MY Ultima pro project netted me two parts car outrages. I recently threw composite towers, and a ball diff at mine, but I;m kind of holding out for some alternative chassis. Mine also has Andy's arms, but I;m going to try out RPM jrx2 h arms on the rear...

My limiting factor is that darn cluster gear... Between the 3 parts cars I started with, not one had the gear or a cover. I managed to land one gear through a trade here on the board, but haven't had any more luck. I'm trying to come up with an alternative tranny. (Avoiding LW2 and Triumph right now also, due to $$$$) I've got one idea, that I hope to soon post, but need to get parts in hand first to be sure it'll work..

I'm not a huge fan of the chassis on the Outrage either, but at the time (mid-90's) it was all that was available. It will take a good beating though...and the steering is suprisingly tight.

I'm with you on the cluster gear set up..they're none too easy to find anymore. I've had great luck with the Triumph trans..never a problem. I was lucky when I got a couple of them years ago (they're installed on other projects)..but they're not so easy to get anymore either. Plus the metric spur gear is a pain. Mine was modified to accept a standard (without the slipper). I've never had any wear issues (I run the single belt vs. the dual). In fact when this thing was originally run, it had the Triumph trans in it for many years.

If you can find one for the right price, you'll be a lot happier with a modded Triumph trans. Especially if you run it on a regular basis.
Projects and shelfers:

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Diggley wrote:
Lowgear wrote:Thats actually pretty cool. I wonder if some of those Ultima parts will fit a Raider.

Thanks!

I think the Raider is a different animal all together. I haven't seen one in awhile, but I think it was a different chassis & trans. The Ultima wheels & shocks might work though.
The Raider shares many similarities with a Rocky and an Outrage so the parts might indeed work. If I ever pick up a cheap Ultima I'll indeed try it.

j-sou
Approved Member

Post by j-sou »

I gotta find one of those bodies! That thing is pretty cool! :D
-I never said I knew what I was doing, I just said I was gonna do it!"

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Another nice looking and functional creation. I love the bugs! Keep 'em coming. :mrgreen:
Gary

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

Perfect_Enemy wrote:I gotta find one of those bodies! That thing is pretty cool! :D

Thanks, it's an old Dahm's "Buggsy" body.

You might find one on eBay, I'm not sure how rare they might be these days.

They weren't much for detail, but they were plenty durable...
Projects and shelfers:

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

RedScampi wrote:Another nice looking and functional creation. I love the bugs! Keep 'em coming. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

I haven't run out of 'em yet...(you'd think I'd be sick of them by now.. :D )

I figure if I have enough left over spare parts taking up storage space, I might as well build something out of it. It keeps me occupied in between other stalled projects.
Projects and shelfers:

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Oh, I like this. I actually have a brand new Dahms Bugsy and an Outrage that needs some love. Good ideas.

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

RichieRich wrote:Oh, I like this. I actually have a brand new Dahms Bugsy and an Outrage that needs some love. Good ideas.

Thanks.

Anything is better than a stock Outrage, these things weren't to handsome when they came out..

I can't wait to see it posted!

**I found a couple old photos from when it was originally built back in '96 (with the Triumph trans):
Attachments
Yellow Ultima & RC10 SS 1996.jpg
Ultima Yellow.jpg
Projects and shelfers: