MAGIC BUS...

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Diggley
Approved Member

MAGIC BUS...

Post by Diggley »

The last thing I need is another project, but I'm a hopeless sucker for old VW's...

A friend gave me a great deal on it that was too good to pass up.

This thing is an absolute BEAST.

I'm already planning a hobby grade chassis switch....wheels will need to be at least 2.8" to look remotely close to the scale of the body.

I'm impressed by the amount of engineering that went into a toy-grade RC. :shock:

It took almost 2 hours+ just to remove the body..

This thing will completely cover up a Slash.
Attachments
IMG_6250.JPG
IMG_6251.JPG
IMG_6252.JPG
IMG_6253.JPG
IMG_6256.JPG
IMG_6257.JPG
IMG_6258.JPG
IMG_6259.JPG
IMG_6260.JPG
IMG_6261.JPG
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: MAGIC BUS...

Post by Charlie don't surf »

That's like 1/6 scale or something odd my little guy's cousins had a herbie on that same chassis- Cool shell, super heavy!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

You're gonna need some really long mounting posts! That'll be a cool mod, way more interesting than a truggy, that's for sure. 8)

EDIT: Hopefully you can find a way to cement the VW wheel-caps onto some Slash wheels. That'd be a great detail. :)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

Charlie don't surf wrote:That's like 1/6 scale or something odd my little guy's cousins had a herbie on that same chassis- Cool shell, super heavy!

You bet!

I hope I can find something strong enough to power the thing. :lol:
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

Coelacanth wrote:You're gonna need some really long mounting posts! That'll be a cool mod, way more interesting than a truggy, that's for sure. 8)

EDIT: Hopefully you can find a way to cement the VW wheel-caps onto some Slash wheels. That'd be a great detail. :)

The hub caps might stay...Oddly enough, the tires look like they may be the same set up as the Slash's. They look like they may be the 2.2-3" pattern.

If I can repair the flat spot on one, I may recycle them too..(but they're hard as rocks..)

I won't be using a Slash, but I might need a set of wheels for one..I hope to use an old Nikko Rhino for a few parts..and a really looooong chassis.
Attachments
IMG_6262.JPG
IMG_6263.JPG
Projects and shelfers:

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

I've got one of those 8)
Attachments
herbiebus.jpg

Chris K
Approved Member

Post by Chris K »

I find it fascinating on the 2.2/3.0 wheels - and all this time I thought this was a 'new' size! Of course, they'er a bit narrower than current SC fare but it's interesting to me none the less!

I think this is a build that's going to be fun as heck to watch!
Wherever you go; there you are!

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

I had almost forgot about this thing...spent an otherwise dull afternoon stripping a couple pounds (literally) of junk parts of the chassis.
Cheep (stupid) "low rider" crap (motors, wiring, circuit board, speaker..) had to go.

Denatured alcohol took car of the fake windows and stickers..as a bonus, I discovered that the orange paint may actual wipe off...

(It'll be completely stripped & re-painted)

I can't wait to plug in the lights.

I'll see if I can maybe re-use the chassis with a few mods...

I can't believe this thing actually moved with only a 360 sized motor!

Oddly, after ripping out the low rider crap, I'm kinda diggin' the slammed look..
Attachments
IMG_0250.JPG
IMG_0251.JPG
IMG_0253.JPG
Projects and shelfers:

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

aconsola wrote:I've got one of those 8)
:D
Kewl!
Projects and shelfers: