What are you running in your local races

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

k9subsea

What are you running in your local races

Post by k9subsea »

I am pretty new to the hobby and currently have a rusltler, pede, and 2wd slash, all electric brushed.

I am just wondering what everyone here runs in their local races?

cunawarit
Approved Member

Re: What are you running in your local races

Post by cunawarit »

A Bandit, this Bandit:

Beauty shot:

Shot of latest spec:

Which is:

* Etronix Photon 2.0 brushless system (3300kv motor).
* Losi springs all round.
* Modified SRT front shock tower.
* Turnbuckles all round.
* Steel output shafts.
* New grey gearbox dyed black. (The old original one cracked, worked out great!)
* Stock plastic gears.
* Ansmann front wheels fitted with Traxxas hex nuts.
* Stock old Traxxas white back wheels.
* Schumacher yellow minispike tyres.
* Ultra shocks with cut bladders and aluminium shock caps. (I like how easy it is to get nicely set up shocks with near zero rebound this way)
* Ball-bearings all round.

k9subsea

Post by k9subsea »

Thats a nice looking car, thanks for the reply.

Whats the deal with "cut bladders"? is this to give it a stiffer ride?

cunawarit
Approved Member

Post by cunawarit »

No, I just find it easier to set them up that way. I like having zero rebound and found it much easier to do that consistently with cut bladders.

Watch this:
[youtube]eWBAKC-c1s4[/youtube]
It may all be my ineptitude at setting up the stock shocks the way they come, but not going back. This works for me :)
Last edited by klavy69 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed youtube link

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

Wow. That Bandit looks race ready. How are you doing campaigning that car? I know the peanut gallery probably tries to have their fun with you/it but If you drive well then they have to shut up. Are you beating some of the "competition" chassis with it?

cunawarit
Approved Member

Post by cunawarit »

Not too well yet to be honest, I'm never the slowest, but I am one of the slow ones.

I'm very new at racing, so the Bandit isn't the only thing holding me back, I need to get better too. The good thing is that the way Bandit is set up now is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than its first track outing. It now feels very balanced, has plenty of grip, and lands jumps nicely.

As for the "peanut gallery", nobody seems to mind till I was leading races during a very wet and rainy meet. The rain actually played HUGELY in the Bandit's favour and I was 0.8 of a second off the fastest lap on the day, and I battled for the lead often. During the final the fastest guy there sort of shouted in frustration "cone on everyone! We are all getting beaten by a TRAXXAS!!!" :)

You can follow my slow progress at the Traxxas board :) http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?8957297-Racing-Bandit-8-Stages-to-success-)

k9subsea

Post by k9subsea »

cunawarit wrote: During the final the fastest guy there sort of shouted in frustration "cone on everyone! We are all getting beaten by a TRAXXAS!!!" :)
Ok, do I need to consider buying a different car rather that a Traxxas just to keep from getting ragged on?

cunawarit
Approved Member

Post by cunawarit »

k9subsea wrote:Ok, do I need to consider buying a different car rather that a Traxxas just to keep from getting ragged on?
Not at all dude.

When I first considered racing I contacted the club and told them exactly what I would be racing and I was told that I was more than welcome and that the Bandit was a fine choice for a beginner.

The reality is that amongst that bunch of racers Traxxas nearly doesn't register, most of them don't even know what a Bandit is or are even vaguely familiar with the Traxxas product range. The bloke who made that comment did it largely in good nature and he owns a model shop, so I guess he is familiar with all sorts of RC cars. Many have shown an interest on what it is that I am driving, simply because it isn't a common choice, and when I inform them it is a buggy that I bought 15 years ago most are quite impressed it is still going and I can find parts for it :)

Finally, from what I hear the Slash is fairly well respected by bashers and racers alike. I wouldn't worry at all if I were you.

PS: What are you thinking of racing? Particularly with the Slash you will probably have plenty of local options... And I've never driven a short course truck myself, but from what I have seen at the races they look pretty cool. Quite relaxed and slightly slower than the buggies. They look fun.

k9subsea

Post by k9subsea »

Yea I plan to run the slash. There is a track by the house and the hobby shop owner where I got the slash told me to head over there to run it. I have not been able to as of yet due to work but as soon as I get the chance I am going to try it out.

Thanks for all the good info.

Nate

Bent
Approved Member

Post by Bent »

When I am able to make a race I use my 2wd slash Loaded wit PL for offroad, and my "hopped up" rc buggy for the dirt oval. Again this is when I go.

You run me in the grass imma run you in the wall, drive like a racer not a flippin idiot

THIS PLACE ROCKS!!!!

Emaxx2.0
Approved Member

Post by Emaxx2.0 »

Traxxas SRT. I sold a RC10T4.1 Factory Team with a Tekin RS Pro/7.5t setup to cover the cost for my SRT. With a few mods and suspension tuning I feel the SRT will be a better truck for my very tight indoor track and also more duarable. Plus it looks way cool.
Traxxas SRT and TCP. Keeping a dying breed alive.