RC10 budget power build - bearings, wheels, mods etc...

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

tuxit09

RC10 budget power build - bearings, wheels, mods etc...

Post by tuxit09 »

Hello everyone! I'm brand new to the forums here and I'm building a ridiculous RC10.

I am relatively new to the rc hobby scene. I have built a nice Quadcopter from scratch, designed and fabbed the frame etc, I have a HPI E10 (first RC car).

I'm building a ridiculous RC10.

I quickly out grew the E10. I was hungry for speed and power on a budget and thought I could start with the E10. I was very very wrong. I recently got to the point where I was exploding diffs and breaking other parts with the power I put on it. Its just not up to it. Secondly getting stuck if needed to take a grass path with a road car didn't work either. Long story short done with the E10 and moving on to a RC10 T3.

I'm asking a lot of the T3 platform I want lots of things and I realize not all of those things will be met. I would like to be able to set this thing up in about 30 min time to be a on-road set-up to being a medium off-road set-up. The transformation process should include changing shock positions, wheels, pinion and a esc re-program.

[POWER]
Lets start with the power plant I am using. its OVERKILL and i know it. I'm going to have to be careful with the deployment through tuning of the set-up as not to strip gears and break things.
Its 6s with dual 3s packs. Mamba Max Pro esc, and a craftsman drill 775 19.4v motor. Some of you are thinking I'm insane at this point. Insane no.... extremist ya :)

[GEARING]
I really need your guys help in this department. I'v realized the T3 doesnt have much out there for parts in the way of gearing. This particularly sucks with the power I want to put down.
I know the trans is a 2.4:1 setup. Thing is I don't know the KV/Turns of this motor. I wish a I had a hand held tach to check. I want to select a spur/pinion that is going to limit the torque applied to the trans gears to prevent a bust (current loading may be an issue). A The E10 didnt have a slipper either which i believe greatly contributed to gear/part busting so I plan to tune and make use of that too for drive train protection.

What spur/pinion are you running on your RC10?

[SUSPENSION]
I am modifying the front end with the traxxas rustler/stampeed parts for bearing spun spindles so I can run a wider selection of wheel sets on 12mm hex hubs.
I ordered red front and rear springs for some weight compensation. those packs and electronics are ubber heavy. I need to get lighter packs when these age a bit they are new right now. It might even come to some custom spring seat fabrication to do a coil over coil due to weight I'm not sure yet.

[CHASSIS]

It looks like this thing is going to be a beefcake in weight but also muscle. The composite chassis plate doesn't appeal to my application. I saw some good looking used carbon flat plates which i presume come from some version of GT. I don't mind using a drill press to re-locate movable components of the RC10 electric setup. My question is:

Can I modify a Carbon flat plate to fit a T3 electric?

[ELECTRONICS]

ESC - Castle Mamba Max Pro - I didnt have the funds for the Monster and nor was sure about brushed motor compatibility so I got a step down to the Max Pro. I will be utilizing the throttle curves, punch control, breaking systems in great detail to make sure this thing behaves. It should provide the means to control the beast and maximize the T3 platform.

IF the the platform survives as a viable mechanical working machine then I plan to incorporate more hobby electronics platform. camera's detail lighting, maybe electronic stability control? That's a whole different project.

Everything I have mentioned here for parts / setup I have tracking numbers for. The build off is about to begin. I plan to be running it in 2 weeks time.

Phin
Approved Member

Re: RC10 budget power build - bearings, wheels, mods etc...

Post by Phin »

A paper bag will never be able to contain a gallon of gasoline without completely changing it into something that's no longer a paper bag.

The T3 isn't going to fair any better than the E10...the parts just aren't made out of material strong enough to deal with that kind of power....and the suspension isn't designed to react to off-road at the kind of speeds you're looking for.

You'll need to start from scratch and purpose build the car around the power. you want to use.

Edit: I apologize I got hooked up on the 6s part and thought speed. I looked up the specs on the Craftsman 775 motor and it's not a fast motor at all so speed shouldn't be an issue. 18K-21 RPM @ 18v....looks more like a low turn motor for a rock crawler. Don't get why you want to use it?

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Phin wrote:I looked up the specs on the Craftsman 775 motor and it's not a fast motor at all so speed shouldn't be an issue.
you shouldn't have told him :mrgreen:
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

Lonestar said:
"If you want to pop wheelies in your driveway, then go get yourself some traxxas vxl plasticky piece of RTR... Or a Wild Willy II, or a lunchbox... but NOT an RC10."
This is so true. As the owner of both an rc10 and a Traxxas VXL plasticky piece of RTR, I have a few questions:
.Why is it that you want to use a discontinued, near-vintage, race-oriented RC to build an insane basher, replacing nearly every component in the process?
.If composite isn't durable enough for you, why would you switch to a carbon fiber flat plate?
If you don't have the skills for a custom build, I highly recommend a Traxxas VXL plasticky piece of rtr. If you do have the skills, and it sounds like you do, it would be awesome if you could post up what you make.
Don't be offended by my sig. It is not directed at you.
Edit: electronic stability control? That would be cool. I'm not sure if that's ever been done. I think the closest thing anyone's ever used is a gyro.
Last visit Thursday November 22. Either he lost interest or got scared off.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

The one thing he left out, and perhaps the most important, is airflow considerations. A 1:10-scale car running 6S of LiPo power is going to require some serious thought about how to keep the car planted on the pavement. If there isn't a lot of planning for adequate downforce and preventing air from catching under the chassis and having the thing handle totally unpredictably--or even take a dangerous, completely uncontrolled, unplanned flight--the car won't be able to make use of the power in a purposeful manner.

Anyway, RCTech.net has tons of people who had the same idea, building a ridiculously-fast "impress everyone" car. Lots of topics there about that, and few who executed the plans either to completion, or properly.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

the op needs an electric 1/8 scale.

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

Who cares about whether or not the end result is drivable? Why does it matter if you end up with a completely useless piece of garbage? As long as barely nudging the throttle results in a chain reaction that first destroys every drivetrain component and then triggers a massive explosion, it's all good!
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

Winger
Approved Member

Post by Winger »

85Edinger wrote:Who cares about whether or not the end result is drivable? Why does it matter if you end up with a completely useless piece of garbage? As long as barely nudging the throttle results in a chain reaction that first destroys every drivetrain component and then triggers a massive explosion, it's all good!
:lol: