RPM Worlds Front End

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

tagger
Approved Member

Re: RPM Worlds Front End

Post by tagger »

G'day everyone,

I little bit off topic,

I want to make up some of my own custom shock towers and parts. Can someone tell me what tools I should use to cut and shape them?

I have drills, jigsaw, dremel, woodworking router and a bench grinder. I might be able to get a friend to help me with access to laser and/or rotary engraving machines.

The materials I have are 4mm fibreglass, 3mm black fibreglass and 3mm plain finish graphite.

Cheers,

Michael.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I use a pin router (search the site here for pics of it) and if you are doing repetitious work it can't be beat for the money. If you are going freehand, a dremel is fine. When I try freehand I can never get both sides to look the same, so I freehand half of a tower for example, and use my pin router to cut one side, flip the master, and cut the other side. Takes a little longer but makes exact copies. The other think I like about the router is that it "looks" era correct for a lot of older stuff, composite craft has pics of them using one on chassis bitd, which is where I got the idea.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

gomachv wrote:I use a pin router (search the site here for pics of it) and if you are doing repetitious work it can't be beat for the money. If you are going freehand, a dremel is fine. When I try freehand I can never get both sides to look the same, so I freehand half of a tower for example, and use my pin router to cut one side, flip the master, and cut the other side. Takes a little longer but makes exact copies. The other think I like about the router is that it "looks" era correct for a lot of older stuff, composite craft has pics of them using one on chassis bitd, which is where I got the idea.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

tagger
Approved Member

Post by tagger »

Tops! Thanks for that gomachv!

Next question is does anyone have any templates that I could print off as a guide?

I want to make a couple of front worlds towers, team car type towers for .71 and .89s and some worlds rear towers. Also want to do some JRX Pro/SE towers too.

I'm sure I have seen some patterns on here before but can't find them now.

Cheers,

Michael

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Maybe I missed it in this thread but Fibre Lyte is also an option for the front tower like I used.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=25195