Mounting a pre painted body

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Momo5
Approved Member

Mounting a pre painted body

Post by Momo5 »

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to mounting a prepainted body? I just rebuilt a Redcat Rampage MT, and I ordered a factory painted body. The body though doesnt have any markers where the posts are supposed to come though. Other than trying to mark the inside with a sharpee, any ideas?

GoMachV

Re: Mounting a pre painted body

Post by GoMachV »

I always used a dab of white out or paint on the body posts, gently drop the body into them, and it will leave a dot.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

gomachv wrote:I always used a dab of white out or paint on the body posts, gently drop the body into them, and it will leave a dot.
+1. A dab of grease will also work.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

What I recently did to mark the position of the antenna hole is to cut down a spare antenna tube to a length that will just touch the underside of the body. Of course, I did this with a clear, unpainted body and marked the body with an X-Acto knife. You could use the same tip gomachv said though, with a dab of liquid paper, threadlock, grease, or whatever.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

I use a stratgically placed bright light, usally a mag light flashlight. And I make the intitai hole small, so I can enlarge the hole into a sl different position in case it's one of those bodies that needs to by just right.
- Brian -

My Gallery

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

^^^ +1. same as I do.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Those are awesome! I am so getting a set
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

I use Blu-Tac - spread some across the rough area where the posts land, position the body & push it down to make an imprint, mark the centre of the imprint with a centrepunch & drill.... :wink:

These methods only really work well if the bodyposts are nice & short & lift the body equally front & rear prior to marking.... the rear posts on my TC are quite a bit longer (relative) compared with the fronts (to allow the rear of the shell to 'float' when riding kerbs etc) which puts the shell at a nose down attitude so I have to make an allowance for this when marking the shell after the post position has been imprinted into the Blu-Tac.... if that makes sense?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

DerbyDan wrote:These methods only really work well if the bodyposts are nice & short & lift the body equally front & rear prior to marking.... the rear posts on my TC are quite a bit longer (relative) compared with the fronts (to allow the rear of the shell to 'float' when riding kerbs etc) which puts the shell at a nose down attitude so I have to make an allowance for this when marking the shell after the post position has been imprinted into the Blu-Tac.... if that makes sense?
That definitely makes sense. I bought a repro AYK Buffalo body for my friend's Buffalo, one of my ongoing projects. The Buffalo has a very long front body post and the body presses down onto it a good inch or so. (Why the body post is so long is beyond me.) Anyway, I marked the post where it first contacted the body but didn't account for the body being pressed 1 inch more down the post, which didn't account for some angle, with the result that I had to elongate the mounting hole into a bit of an oval as the body was pushing against the post the more you pressed down on it. Fortunately it didn't need a LOT of oval, and it won't be visible with an adhesive body post pad on the bottom and a protective rubber washer on the top, but still...that's a very good point, Dan.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

I use the same things, mine are Yeah Racing ones. Still needs some measuring inside the body to make sure it's centred before reaming the holes but it does show you exactly where the holes need to be.
DerbyDan wrote:. the rear posts on my TC are quite a bit longer (relative) compared with the fronts (to allow the rear of the shell to 'float' when riding kerbs etc) which puts the shell at a nose down attitude so I have to make an allowance for this when marking the shell after the post position has been imprinted into the Blu-Tac.... if that makes sense?
The trick is to have a spare set of body posts cut down so the body sits on top of them correctly before you make the holes in the body. These spare posts used just for body mounting means you also know the posts are straight and not been bent when racing.