2013 - Lazer ZX vintage racer

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bormac
Approved Member

2013 - Lazer ZX vintage racer

Post by Bormac »

For some time I have really liked the look of the Lazer ZX. Whilst I like the look of the old skool Lazers the ZX really ticks all the 'vintage' boxes for me. So with this I wanted to build up a car for the race track.

I purchased this car from a member here some time ago and in a lonely box it sat for a good while. Inspired by watching Darryn's (Retro R/C) ZXR racing at the first vintage meeting back in 2007 I have always known these cars to perform and perform well. Not happy to leave the ZX standard I started collecting some nice upgrades to make this car a little more reliable at the track plus I wanted this car to look aesthetically right for it's period.

The ZX bodyshell may not be to every body's liking but I love it! It's big, bulky and late 1980's kool. I wanted this thing to look the part and the paint needed to be in keeping with styles that were around back then too. Who can go past that crazy big dual element rear wing! :mrgreen:

I wanted genuine Yokomo 2.2" rims as these were all the rage back in the very late 80's with Yokomo secretly having them in time for the 89 IFMAR 'worlds' here in Australia. Every body wanted them!

Whilst I'm sure the standard geared diffs work I wanted to go with ball diffs so I opted to source a couple of Pure10 ball diffs.

Out went the standard layshaft diff and I tracked down a ZXRR Hyper Clutch to take care of slip adjustment. One of Welshy's 100 tooth machined 48dp spurs also went in place.

I always remembered seeing some images of these funky shock towers that looked like swiss cheese (they had soo many holes for fine tuning) so after some digging around I came across a member on Oople who helped me out. I think they were known as 'LEGENDS' towers or something. One thing is for sure, I don't think they'd take much to snap in a good roll over.

LA59 C-hubs and wider uni's were also employed up front to open up a wider stance and increased caster angle for this car.

Medium length 'Option House' Gold shocks went up front also.

Pure10 blue ball raced steering bell cranks were an obvious choice being a little more heavy duty. I also added ball races to keep steering smooth.

-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: 2013 - Lazer ZX vintage racer

Post by Coelacanth »

That's a very sharp Lazer, Jason. Whaddya know, for once, the ESC/motor wire heatshrinks actually match the paint-job! :P The Gold shocks really set it off. I also dig that wing, it's a double but looks better-designed than that double wing from Bud's Racing. What pinion are you using with that 100T spur?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

Brings back memories with that shell and those towers and yok wheels. Very nice mate.
Designer of the Lazer ZX / ZXR Tub Chassis (now available again from Fibre-Lyte)

Sponser links below
http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/
http://www.kamtec.co.uk/

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

Well now you may want to get a tub chassis. In roughly a month it should be available to buy and all you need do is specify what layhout / design you want cut out. I am not sure exactly yet on the costs but will be the first to know but believe from my information the cost for a brand new tub chassis will be around the £120 mark.

I was lucky and the guy whom i sold my car to broke the prototype chassis made in 91 and kept it so sent me it to get a new mold made as someone pinched my original mold from fibrelyte. I admit even I am getting excited, as in a couple of weeks i hope to get the first test chassis and if satisfied its available.
Designer of the Lazer ZX / ZXR Tub Chassis (now available again from Fibre-Lyte)

Sponser links below
http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/
http://www.kamtec.co.uk/