New to me OFNA Ultra LX Comp!

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

New to me OFNA Ultra LX Comp!

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Much as I love my RC10 buggies and nitro trucks, there are definitely limitations to the 2WD 1/10 scale stuff. They just really need a nicely groomed track, and there are none of those anywhere near me. Closest track is almost 30 miles away, and it's not well maintained, nor is it geared toward 1/10; It's a large track with very large jumps. In short, I kinda got tired of breaking my vintage stuff and getting circles run around me by 1/8 4WD buggies and SCTs.

I have a Losi Mega Baja 1/8 MT, and while it's fun, it's not an expecially competitive vehicle. A bit underpowered with the TL .26, and just not built to be a racer. Great bashing truck, though.

Anyway, long story short, I have been keeping an eye out for a 1/8 nitro buggy that seemed like a good deal. Ideally, it would have been an RC8.2 or Losi 8ight 2.0, but people are dang proud of those things. Nearly pulled the trigger on a new RTR OFNA LX2 for $300, but wanted something with a few more upgrades. Low and behold, while perusing eBay Sunday night, I find a nice OFNA Ultra LX Comp with a Dynamite .26 that no one had bid on yet, and it was just about to end. Somehow, despite OFNA rollers without engines routinely going for $100-$150, nobody else noticed this one, and I scored it for $95 shipped! No electronics, but that's OK, as I have spare servos and receivers laying around. Unfortunately, it is a bump start engine, so I haven't been able to run it yet, but it feels like it has plenty of compression. The only thing wrong with it is an incorrect left upper arm (an LX arm was used, the LX Comp arm is different) and a couple of missing screws.

I should have it buttoned up with servos and radio gear by the time the start box shows up tomorrow or Saturday, so hopefully I'll be able to report on it's performance over the weekend!

I'm stoked! I love my RC10 buggies and GTs, but this is a whole different level of performance that is more appropriate for what I do and where I do it.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

highwayracer
Approved Member

Re: New to me OFNA Ultra LX Comp!

Post by highwayracer »

That looks great. Nice to see that there are people that can appreciate the OFNA / HO BAO cars. I'm almost done recreating a Pirate M1 that I had back in the day. I also have an Ultra, but haven't had time to touch it in 5 or so years. Just don't have time :(

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Re: New to me OFNA Ultra LX Comp!

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Well, that Dynamite .26 was a bit tired (ran good up top, but doggy off the line and didn't like to idle), so I let it go cheap on eBay and stuck my Picco .21 in for now. Probably going to put a Novarossi .28 5T in it later, but the little Picco runs it pretty well.

Also had issues with the spare servos I had lying about (one stripped, the other started wigging out), so now it has two brand new Savox SC-0252MG servos.

New body and wheels, too:

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."