XX Kinwald Edition with Trinity Goodies :0

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jamin
Approved Member

Re: XX Kinwald Edition with Trinity Goodies :0

Post by jamin »

DerbyDan wrote:That red motor plate demonstrates perfectly the difference between the older & newer milled items, it's interesting that it's anodised red, I brought one for my XX in the 90s which was anodised blue but there was a red one on the rack also, I did wonder if they had been anodised by a 3rd party, but it seems they have been official Losi items? My blue one was much darker than the 'Trinity' blue of your motor plate Paul, but it matched the AE Ali screw kit I had fitted perfectly :D

Regarding the hinge pins, you could get the gold nitrided pins specifically - I hadn't heard of anyone cutting down shock shafts for this purpose before, since these shafts were so expensive..... but it would be a good way to utilise damaged Nitrided shafts?
Dan (not Derby) is correct - it was me who mentioned cutting down shock shafts BITD. Of course nowadays you can just buy the correct length to suit each pivot point :D

Sweet ass build Dan, good work. I sooooooo wish i could find a new mk1 milled plate, i'd pay top dollar for one 8)

I too got my blue motor plate from Rick - he must of got a job load of them done - is he still active on here???

mikea96

Post by mikea96 »

Looking good! Hopefully i can mine look as good.

kenooze
Approved Member

Post by kenooze »

urpaldan
Approved Member

Post by urpaldan »

jamin wrote: it was me who mentioned cutting down shock shafts BITD. Of course nowadays you can just buy the correct length to suit each pivot point

Haha, I thought id heard about it from one of u guys. They look ok but ideally ill swap them all out for new ones when i next make an order. I need a few other things to tidy it up. Think Rick is still on the site, maybe not as much as before, i bought a nice xcellerator body from him and other losi stuff.
kenooze wrote:This is my old project:viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14010
Im well aware of that thread Cedric. Its one of my favourites, massively inspired this! 8) Yours is stunning the anno is perfectly matching. The blue on mine is all different! :lol: Its been fun finding all the different trinity parts, i always wanted those parts when i was young but i never had the £.

urpaldan
Approved Member

Post by urpaldan »

Got this put together, it still needs a few things such as new screws which ive ordered.
DSC02890.JPG
DSC02893.JPG
DSC02896.JPG
DSC02871.JPG
DSC02899.JPG
I have the trinity battery brace to fit but unfortunately this is the swb chassis so it doesn't fit! I need to swap it for the standard chassis at some point. I've got an advert in the wanted section if anyone can help with that.

License2iLL
Approved Member

Post by License2iLL »

Cherry dude. Cherry.
Glad to be back in this hobby so many many years later. To see new things and to recollect on ALL cool vintage models!
As well as to BUILD :
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=27591
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=33429

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Beautiful. But I just can't get why the front bulkhead was originally designed that way, with the 6 separate rings...it seriously reduces the structural durability of those 2 interlocking parts. If the rings were half the number and twice the thickness, it would've accomplished the same thing and been much stronger. Pardon my "Losignorance" but why was it designed that way? Is there a functional reason for it to be like that, or is it just a case of a vintage car design having weak links (they all did back in the day, every car had weak links)? Just wondering...
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Clean and mean 8)
Gone fishing

urpaldan
Approved Member

Post by urpaldan »

Thanks fella's :)
Coelacanth wrote: can't get why the front bulkhead was originally designed that way, with the 6 separate rings...it seriously reduces the structural durability of those 2 interlocking parts. If the rings were half the number and twice the thickness, it would've accomplished the same thing and been much stronger
The original front bulkheads tended to snap on a hard impact so I presume trinity thought this alloy hop-up would solve the problem. Unfortunately what tends to happen is that your whole chassis snaps rather than an arm or the chassis brace as the alloy just transfers the load. I don't think many people used the trinity version tbh. More show than go!

urpaldan
Approved Member

Post by urpaldan »

I picked up this 'Fantom' alloy rear bulkhead recently.
DSC02874.JPG
Just a shame its purple not blue! :|

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

urpaldan wrote:Thanks fella's :)
Coelacanth wrote: can't get why the front bulkhead was originally designed that way, with the 6 separate rings...it seriously reduces the structural durability of those 2 interlocking parts. If the rings were half the number and twice the thickness, it would've accomplished the same thing and been much stronger
The original front bulkheads tended to snap on a hard impact so I presume trinity thought this alloy hop-up would solve the problem. Unfortunately what tends to happen is that your whole chassis snaps rather than an arm or the chassis brace as the alloy just transfers the load. I don't think many people used the trinity version tbh. More show than go!
Thanks...I was referring to the original design, though. Certainly the alloy hop-up is stronger, but it just transfers impact to the adjacent parts. I almost think if the original part was nylon or Delrin, but had half the circles and twice the thickness, this would've been a stronger design and probably not require any alloy hop-up part.

It sure makes a beautiful car and that part in anodized aluminum is a work of art.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

Superb Dan! I love the blue nuts against the natural wheels and clear discs, nice touch. One of the finest XX's on here :mrgreen:

As for the chassis - Horizon UK had 7 chassis a while ago, might be worth asking?

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Lovely! Just had to tuck my tongue back in & wipe up the drool from my desk :P

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

DerbyDan wrote:Lovely! Just had to tuck my tongue back in & wipe up the drool from my desk :P
I might go and put my white wheels back on - just for a change. I need some blue nuts now though! :mrgreen: :lol:

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

urpaldan wrote:I picked up this 'Fantom' alloy rear bulkhead recently.
DSC02874.JPG
Just a shame its purple not blue! :|
Thats easy Dan! Just send it off and get it re-anodised. They can strip the purple off and then do it blue. Be careful though, too much blue can be a bad thing :wink: