My Resto-Mod RC10CE

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JasonB
Approved Member

My Resto-Mod RC10CE

Post by JasonB »

Yet another Gold Pan rebuild right? Like many others on here, this car has some sentimental value.

The Story:
I Started with RC10 Championship Edition: Gold Tub (C), Black Plastic, Stealth Trans, Ball Bearings.
This was my first real RC car, the first car I raced, and the first car (of any kind) that I regretted selling. This car had been raced on carpet for many years before I sold it to a friend around 1999. Luckily he sold it back a few years later when he got out of RC, though the car had been hacked and driven almost to death. It then sat in my garage years more until two weeks ago when I decided to do a restoration.

"Old" Mods on the car included:
Shiny CVD's
Ti Turnbuckles and hinge pins
Different rear hubs (B3 I think?)
Hacked up chassis

Other than electronics and setup, this car was mostly stock and fairly competitive at my local track doing indoor carpet stadium racing against the Losi buggies, B2's and B3's. Now my thinking is this... I know the newer cars have changed substantially, but in my mind they are NOT really light-years ahead in car design like the manufacturers would like people to believe. The newer car's incremental improvements always stand out in professional racing. On the local scene there's more issues with driving and setup, so that small advantage is lessened to some degree.

I wanted to keep this on the cheap side, and the local track is clay and not very "huge" so I do NOT need this RC10 to be an uber-fast speed demon. I would like to modify the car bit by bit as time goes on, so this is my build thread.

So first things first I tore it into pieces, replaced many worn out or damaged parts including the chassis pan, rear bulkhead, rear arm mounts, shock towers, front nose braces, motor plate, ball cups, shocks. All most of these were CE parts, as somehow I had also acquired an entire spare car worth of NEW parts in various boxes and I spent some time on ebay finding a few more things...
Not all the parts are in or installed yet, so I will update this with pictures as I go along performing additional mods.

"New" Mods I included in the rebuild:
Carbon Fiber Shock Towers - I remember breaking the fiberglass ones all the time.
RPM Ball Cups - Enough said
RC10 "Classic" front wheels
RC10 B2 Shocks
Proline Ion tires

New Electronics:
LiPo Battery
SC700-BL Brushless ESC Speed Control
Reedy 3300 540R Motor (more than enough power for this old girl)
Align DS620 Steering Servo
Spektrum SR201 2.4 GHz Receiver

Considering:
V2 slipper
JConcepts Steering Bell-cranks
RPM arms
New Body...

Currently Working on rebuilding the B3 shocks (yes I'm keeping the gold ones), waiting for a new motor plate and misc hardware. Then I'll mount the tires and take her to the track to get dialed in!

JasonB
Approved Member

Re: My Resto-Mod RC10CE

Post by JasonB »

Progress update... She's getting there.
I rebuilt the B2 shocks and started with medium rate springs, dropped the rear rate a little once I started drop testing for frequency balance. I will be starting with 30wt shock oil. Local track has some bigger jumps along with small bumps so I figure it's a good starting point.

Made quite a few changes to the planned hardware. The 1.9" wheels have very few tire choices and nothing that works well on clay *DERP*. Ended up going with more 'appropriate' ProLine Ion's front on B4 wheels and rear on B2 wheels. I can't believe how much wider the 'modern' buggy front tires are. My replacement rear wheel options are limited as I only have this one set of usable B2 wheels, so I'll do the B44 rear hub/cva conversion once they need replacement. I was also happy to see Avid makes bearings for my rear hubs, so I went ahead and ordered new ones as two of the old ones had some carpet fibers tangled in them.

I also decided on using a shorty LiPo so I can move weight around a little. Still need to fabricate a better battery holder to fix it in place wherever I want during testing.